Biggest Belgian Tv network ripping TLD audio?

CGTv

Hi there, my name is Sunny and i might have found something.
I have been "investigating" this show for over a year now, whenever i get the chance (i stopped watching Tv when i was 18).
Since i don't own  cable or a digibox or a satilite or whatever people use nowadays to watch Tv and only a laptop, i had to register to make sure i could show physical proof.
But i do not watch the episodes in my free time, like i said i don't watch tv.
Though i have a friend who watches it for as long as i know him, He is not happy with me doing this, nor is his wife XD
I started noticing familiar songs when my friend left his tv playing in the background when we played Scrabble or Monopoly.
So as far as i am aware, they've been "ripping" audio for over a year.

I have communicated with someone from Hinterland Studios through E-mail the past couple of days now and even though i did not get nor ask for a straight answer, i have a feeling they did not give out permission to any Belgian/Flemish Tv network station(s)

Unfortunatly i cannot upload the file here, it's 576Mb and max is 511. dang :P
So i will have to post a link to my Youtube video, i hope noone considers this a trick to lure people to my channel.
I have done some investigating the past year and now i have proof something is going on, i just don't know wether things are legit or...
But all in all it did take me a lot of time and a lot of searching to give you guys this.
If i get more visitors to my channel because of this, all the better, but in the first place i want to protect what i love; The Long Dark

If you want to see/hear it for yourself: (Episode is availible until 29 september!)
Link to VTM via Google;
You can register in the top right, if a lot of people wish to register and find it too difficult to read in Dutch, then i will make a tutorial.
https://vtm.be/?referer=https://www.google.com/
Edit: Link to the episode (need to register first) https://vtm.be/video/volledige-afleveringen/id/257818541296000

What is VTM?

Dutch:
VTM (Vlaamse Televisie Maatschappij) is de grootste commerciële televisiezender van België en is eigendom van mediabedrijf Medialaan. De zender begon op 1 februari 1989 en was daarmee het eerste commerciële televisiestation in Vlaanderen.

English:
VTM (Flemish Television Society) is the biggest commercial Tv station in Belgium and is property of Mediacompany 'Medialane'. The station started on 1 februari 1898 and was therefore the first commercial tv station in Flanders.

-The show 'Family' has been on air for over 26 years and was first aired on 30 December 1991.

~CGTv

I've checked the series, and it is true that they have used music from the soundtrack of The Long Dark. Which is great, and it shows the universal quality of it. My assumption is, that the use of that music is legitimate.

Actually, it depends what license the composer / performer of the soundtrack of The Long Dark released it under. If it would be the liberal Creative Commons license, it would be free to use by the producer. But if commercial use would be restricted, or it would be copyrighted, negotiation would take place. Usually there is a standard fee, paid for through national copyrights organisations. Usage of music for a televised production usually depends on the amount of viewers. Not sure how much money were talking, but let's assume that the composer won't complain.

On top, it is likely that people will start wondering where the music is from. It's not credited in the episode, but VTM does offer a spotify playlist (like for the 2017 season) with music from the TV series. So through that it might generate publicity for The Long Dark as a game and the artist.

Still, there is a small chance that the use would not be paid for. In that case copyright organisations (in the Netherlands, there is BUMA STEMRA) usually close agreements with (big) media companies like tv channels for their right to use copyrighted music in general.  I worked at a small internet radio station and even we had to pay the licenses.

Having said all that, great that you've noticed. It's great to see a Canadian product finding its way into a Belgian tv show. Wonder if it already happened elsewhere. In fact, I think it's a great one for the Milton Mailbag!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for making me a little wiser, i barely knew any of that.
I always assume the worst, got that trait from my dear mother ^^
If it's all legit i can only praise VTM for promoting TLD, i hope this is the case.

The weird thing is though that i emailed back and forth with someone from Hinterland and as soon as i made the email containing the video they stopped replying.
Still go my doubts and maybe i'll never know...

Edit: Nearly forgot, thanks for checking it out and confirming it for our fellow board members.
People with one singular post on forums are most of the time promoting something :P

~CGTv

• 3 weeks later...

It's weird i cannot find this topic in my profile, as if it had been deleted.

Anyway,
I checked family again 2 days ago and noticed they had once again used the same track from TLD in the same office as before.

I would really love for this to be cleared up.

~CGTv

You're all making a huge assumption here, and that is that the TV show didn't in fact license the work from the original composer/artist. There is no reason to believe that that is not the case, and actually quite a few reasons to believe that it has been licensed properly from the composer, the first of which being that they're continuing to use it, the composer is almost certainly aware of it by now thanks to the alert being sounded here some months back, and that their music is continuing to be used, including more pieces from the same guy.

I suspect that he's just enjoying his money; money for music from TV shows tends to be pretty good as I understand it from the people I know that have succeeded in getting their music included in TV shows, and therefore is up sipping pina coladas on CH waiting for the hammer to fall.

Archived