New (End Game) Ranged Weapon...

Willy Pete

I'll start this off by saying that as the game currently stands, the ranged weapons are more or less perfect the way they are. We really don't need any new weapons, but it would be fun and bring something new to the table.

With that being said, my idea for a new ranged weapon: a single-barrel shotgun.I feel like this would fit on the ranged weapon spectrum rather well. It would be lighter than the rifle, but with ammunition slightly heavier than the .303 rounds and serve a multitude of purposes. It would fire slower than the rifle (and maybe the bow) but when firing slugs deal a lot more damage (dedicated two shot kill on Moose and Bear).

It could work as a potential end game weapon by there being only one in the entire world, located at the summit of Timberwolf Mountain, with the only ammunition spawning rarely on corpses, safes, and in cargo containers.

For ammunition, you could find the following:

-Slug: a single projectile, a little less accurate than .303 rounds, but deals more damage. Dedicated 1 shot kill on wolves and deer, dedicated 2 shot kill on Moose and Bears.

-Buckshot: fires 9 or so pellets in a cone, can take down wolves and deer with proper shot placement, but not as effective against Moose and Bears (perhaps it could stop a charge if all pellets land).

-Birdshot: it will run off a wolf, but can really only kill rabbits.

-Flares: you could fire flares out of the shotgun as well, giving them a slight boost to accuracy and range.

Furthermore, it would be cool if you could use a hawksaw to saw down the barrel for a weight reduction while also decreasing accuracy and saw down the buttstock for another decrease in weight, but also increasing weapon sway. This way you could have a more versatile weapon than the flare gun, but with slightly more weight. Additionally, firing slugs out of a fully sawed-off shotgun would run the risk of spraining your wrist.

• 2 weeks later...

The heck are you talking about? They don't 'need' a rifled barrel and you can definitely fire shot through a rifled one. Each is just made less effective when not used properly. Slugs lose accuracy and shot spread increases, or you can just use rifled slugs in a smoothe barrel with little consequence.

One gun keeps coming to mind with these discussions.   I've usually seen them over at Dixie Gun Works:  Kodiak Double Barreled Rifles, by Pedersoli.  They are black powder, so the reload time is much longer than the current .303 rifle.  However, they are a much higher caliber, delivering an impressive impact upon the target.  Actually, DGW has them in different calibers and combinations.  They have plain double-rifles ranging from .50 cal to .72 cal.  But, more inline with this discussion, they have a rifle/shotgun combination gun, where one of the rifled barrels is substituted with a 12 gauge shotgun barrel.

As mentioned before, have only one on the island.  Have a very limited supply of shot with it, but plenty of powder.  The reason for the powder being abundant:  Somewhere else on the island is a solitary shot-mold.  Even still, after finding it, you still have to seek out scrap lead to melt down for the mold.

I also imagine that a shotgun can deal with extremly lower temperatures better than the rifle. I think shotguns even make more sense than rifles because effectiveness vs bears.

7 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Have a very limited supply of shot with it, but plenty of powder.  The reason for the powder being abundant:  Somewhere else on the island is a solitary shot-mold.  Even still, after finding it, you still have to seek out scrap lead to melt down for the mold.

Well if you look at the tests of a certain '(toa)fledermaus' you'll find that even some metal scrap can work in that regard - no need for lead really.

3 hours ago, Dawnshift said:

Well if you look at the tests of a certain '(toa)fledermaus' you'll find that even some metal scrap can work in that regard - no need for lead really.

True.  In the case of the shotgun barrel, you're effectively loading with what would be considered "langrage."

However, for the rifle barrel, I'd still prefer to cast the proper lead shot.

The thing is, you can't define something as an 'end game' item in TLD, because there is no way for the gameplay to limit the player's movement in order to control the 'stage' of their survival journey at which they go to certain locations and therefore find whatever items are there. If there's a new superweapon on TWM, players will go up there on Day 1 and get it.

I want one, but think it would be better hidden in obscure out of the way places with only a few shells, like the flare gun.  I haven't used the flare gun on the moose yet - but it is a pretty efficient way to kill the bear.... asuming you just don't shoot the ground.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2018 at 6:34 PM, gnomegnine said:

Uhh.. buckshot... 9 pellets? what? 

shotshell-diagram.gif

That's birdshot, dude, hence the itty bitty pellets. Birdshot can simply be poured into the shell (as seen in the graphic), but buckshot needs proper placement in the shell as they're larger.

CaseInPoint.jpg

On 9/14/2018 at 2:29 PM, Pillock said:

The thing is, you can't define something as an 'end game' item in TLD, because there is no way for the gameplay to limit the player's movement in order to control the 'stage' of their survival journey at which they go to certain locations and therefore find whatever items are there. If there's a new superweapon on TWM, players will go up there on Day 1 and get it.

Endgame has to be a meta-craft. Like you need 5 firs for a wooden part, and 15 scraps for a metal parts you need to forge, and also craft the ammunition. And once who have all the parts, you craft the "endgame" item. But personally I'd prefer Hinterland to have other priorities, since to me TLD is about survival, not about hunting.

I'm in favor of a Shotgun being added to the game but preferably a double barrel either a side-by-side or and overunder. But with a shot gun im also in favor of having different shell types. Slugs, Buckshot and birdshot... and for giggles they could be color coded: Green, Red and Black respectively(Remington Green, Winchester Red, and Federal Black ) That said with a couple of pipes and a few fittings its easy to make a single shot zip gun. But... and this is a huge but... I dont think you should be able to make one right out of the gate.

Maybe crafting certain items need to be locked behind a crafting skill. Like you gotta make those Rabbit Traps and Fish hooks before your confident enough to make an improvised Shotgun

I really don't like the idea of a craftable zip-shotgun as it wouldn't fit into the game. If you can craft it right at the start it's kinda OP and if it's locked behind crafting requirements it doesn't fit with the (current) theme of the game (at least I feel this way).

Reading over the comments I acknowledge that putting it at the top of Timberwolf Mountain doesn't make it an end game weapon (maybe for noobs like me), so perhaps make it like Caches where it has a great number of spawn locations. Maybe you get lucky and find it on day one, maybe it takes you a full 500 days of searching. Or perhaps it only spawns in after X number of days have passed. 

I think I proposed something like this last year, at the time, the community was disinclined to adding more firearms, no matter how simple. I'm essentially in the opposite of Canada, so while I have an understanding of firearms culture, I have no clue what won't seem unrealistic to see in rural Canada. A single shot, break open shotgun seems pretty safe, from a lore standpoint and from a not breaking the game standpoint.

Might I also suggest the ability to make cut shells instead of adding a slug? Birdshot at least where I am is so common that any store you walk into is guaranteed to pallets of the stuff, slugs are common too, but I've had times where they're cleared out, that's never the case with birdshot. For non-game breaking reasons if you have a knife or ax you should be able to cut the birdshot and make it so that when it is fired it will act as a slug. It shouldn't be a perfect duplication of a slug though, it should keyhole at further than 7 yards and it shouldn't have the same power as a legit slug. It should be enough that it will make a large animal run away if you hit them and eventually bleed them out.

12 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

"...so while I have an understanding of firearms culture, I have no clue what won't seem unrealistic to see in rural Canada. A single shot, break open shotgun seems pretty safe, from a lore standpoint and from a not breaking the game standpoint."

Very well said @deathbydanish, (+1), I enjoyed reading your post.

It is very understandable that the HDT and many of the current players of the game are cautious about adding too many weapon options. The game seems well balanced now and there is a good choice of options between the stones, tools, knife, hatchet, flare pistol, survival bow, and rifle.

On the horizon is the possibility of adding another basic weapon, the “bear spear”. This item has started similar anticipation of a great addition to the game and concerns that it should not be over-powered.

What is interesting to consider is how recently, the addition of a tool like the hacksaw was at first viewed by many players as being over-powered and an unnecessary addition to the game’s original tools. Over time, it seems many players now appreciate the added benefits and balanced effect that the hacksaw provided to the knife and hatchet options which are so quick to suffer condition loss.

Maybe it is the case that the current regions of Great Bear are “under-stocked” for reasons contained within the Story Mode. Perhaps a new region in future will someday add a new ranged weapon.

Happy Halloween my friends! :coffee:

13 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

I think I proposed something like this last year, at the time, the community was disinclined to adding more firearms, no matter how simple. I'm essentially in the opposite of Canada, so while I have an understanding of firearms culture, I have no clue what won't seem unrealistic to see in rural Canada.

You would be surprised at what you might find weapon wise in rural Canada... despite the bleeding heart Liberals... in my house you would find an 12 ga automatic, a scoped Ruger and a Kriss Vector CRB.... the Vector definitely does not fit the spirit of the game...

The Vector is great to shoot... recoil is greatly reduced due the way the bolt changes direction and also counteracts muzzle climb. I have a reflex green dot on it and it is easy to keep on target. I had a grade three shoulder separation a few years back from a cycling accident so it’s the most forgiving weapon I own.. You aren’t going to bring down deer or a moose with it.. but it’s fun

BB61689D-369F-42BB-9DB2-6559B2F01DBF.jpeg

19 hours ago, JErosion said:

I figure in rural canada a shotgun would not be out of place, nor would a revolver. The Model 10 S&W it was the side arm of the Royal Canadian Mount Police  for about 40 years

I remember there was talk about adding a revolver into the game, an old Model 10 would make sense.

I think .38 special wouldn't be game breaking, it could be used to at the very least scare a wolf away upon a hit, and maybe stop a bear/moose charge some of the time (maybe if you hit around the head).

If they change that revolver into a magnum though, as cool as it is, I think that might break the game.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:09 AM, s7mar7in said:

Very well said @deathbydanish, (+1), I enjoyed reading your post.

It is very understandable that the HDT and many of the current players of the game are cautious about adding too many weapon options. The game seems well balanced now and there is a good choice of options between the stones, tools, knife, hatchet, flare pistol, survival bow, and rifle.

On the horizon is the possibility of adding another basic weapon, the “bear spear”. This item has started similar anticipation of a great addition to the game and concerns that it should not be over-powered.

What is interesting to consider is how recently, the addition of a tool like the hacksaw was at first viewed by many players as being over-powered and an unnecessary addition to the game’s original tools. Over time, it seems many players now appreciate the added benefits and balanced effect that the hacksaw provided to the knife and hatchet options which are so quick to suffer condition loss.

Maybe it is the case that the current regions of Great Bear are “under-stocked” for reasons contained within the Story Mode. Perhaps a new region in future will someday add a new ranged weapon.

Happy Halloween my friends! :coffee:

You just inspired me there, I know this is cheesy and I'm sure IRL it takes actual skill, but why not be able to throw the hatchet? I'm sure someone in the past may have suggested so if that's the case I don't feel all the inspired anymore :P

There was a topic months ago about throwing hatchets or knives, and I repeat that hitting something with the right end of a spinning choppa is almost impossible unless you're extremely well trained, and that's with a specifically designed item and a still target.

As for having more firearms, I'm the blade type and have no knowledge about guns apart from a book I still have to read, so I'll stay out of the technical discussion. But if there were more alternatives for guns you'd need to significantly raise the chances of finding some, in order to have a decent share of each type, and in the end this would bring too much firepower in the game.

Archived