Broken fire barrels?

Silverhour

I've been busy the past few weeks so this is the first time I've loaded up The Long Dark since the latest hotfixes. I'm in the PV barn and went to cook on the fire barrel, and was surprised to see it let me place items anywhere on the grill, despite the two red circles being present. When I place a can of beans, for instance, it opens and starts cooking them, even outside the 'cooking zones.' It even says 'warming' food, and doesn't give me an' Until burnt' notice once they are hot. If I place a recycled can, even within the cooking circles, it won't give me the cook interface. Seems to me it's acting like I'm just setting them nearby rather than cooking.5b8c05ca2f759_porkandbeans.thumb.png.3fdda3f257463bf46ce8300d72dfefb7.pnghot.thumb.png.01b574291e648bf65836824369db6478.png5b8c05e6d21a6_greencan.thumb.png.8e236d9b5664a9d71e70f3d94ca6a697.png5b8c05f4d9c99_recycledcan.thumb.png.4b1eed8e4117436e45df5ad336b74d68.png

I tested it on a campfire and they behave normally, but I haven't travelled to the farmhouse to test the oven or fireplace there yet. 

Any insights into this?

Yes, I've noticed the same thing in 1.37 (didn't notice it earlier -- doesn't mean it didn't happen).  You need to make sure the item you're placing "snaps-to" the "burner" position.  I seem to have luck doing this by crouching and RMB sliding the item over the circles until they snap-in.

I think the developers wanted to allow you to also warm items by the barrel fire (on the grill) as well as cook them.  They probably just need to increase the aggressiveness of the snap-to a bit so it prioritizes this if the plates are empty.

Thanks everyone for your posts about difficulty cooking on Fire Barrels! This is an issue we are looking into.

As previous posters have mentioned, you'll know any items are placed correctly if they "snap" into place. Walking your survivor around a bit while in placement mode seems to help with this. 

If you are seeing items seem to fall beneath the grill of fire barrels, please check that your game is updated to the latest version -- 1.37 [39488] . This version should have a fix to prevent this from happening.

I wish you could place items to cook anywhere they fit on the heated surface as part of the intended features of the cooking update. ....instead of one item per circle....

It's very limiting in many shelters....especially maps like Forlorn Muskeg with the furnace....

Archived