wolves make surviving too easy

major0noob

they're 5kg of meat that's extremely abundant and easy to hunt.

just started a new game and i to set them to low pop and decent fear but they're still easy to hunt, even with intestinal parasites they make a significant portion of my guys calories.

weather i like it or not (take whatever's available eh) i don't need to hunt, i mean really hunt; scour the map for deer for days, make a stockpile and haul. no, i just leave any base for 5 min and get 15kg easy peasy

well that's my take on wolves, they're a easy resource. i think turning them off would make the game harder

Most people don't do that because of the parasite risk, I think. Also I don't know how many are wild about the idea of eating slab after slab of dogmeat. 

As far as normal hunting goes, it's usually not that involved. I mean, yeah, at first it's a little tricky to find the spawn points, but once you know where to go it's as simple as jaunting out to wherever the deer or rabbits are and spending a couple in-game hours there. All you ever really worry about is depopulation, which does become an issue later in the game. Also, if you're just hunting wolves, I think that's unsustainable for a couple reasons:

1. If you're using a knife/hatchet, the injuries sustained in a struggle come at the cost of medicine and lead to a higher chance of being attacked again. Very risky. 2. If you're using the rifle, ammo will only last so long. 3. If you're using a bow, arrow and weapon decay is a problem you'll have to continually address.

For sustainable survival, most people do one of three things: fishing, trapping rabbits, and hunting deer. Fishing because it helps the time go by and comes with little to no risk. Also equipment is plentiful and I don't think you can run out of fish. Trapping because equipment for that is also plentiful, and because you don't actually have to be there for it to work. And hunting because deer have a lot more meat than wolves and one bullet can get you ~9kg of meat, which will last you a long time. But shit, maybe wolves are too easy. In any case, play your way and enjoy your Long Dark, my dude :rabbit:

Once you get cooking 5 and can't get parasites the wolf and bear meat become a large portion of my diet.  Bit of bait and bow and arrow make taking down a few wolves quite trivial with very little resource investment.

I do like to mix it up through with some fishing and deer hunting for fun and variety.

I have never starved to death in all my runs... but I have not reached the super late game either... i.e. day 300+

yeah its the starving, or lack of thats been bugging me. don't think I've even lost health from hunger

i know about are other ways to get food, wolves are even easier than fishing though. they're spawning more than rabbits and are suicidally aggressive.

after the first few encounters their behavior isn't challenging my guys survival.

they could use a AI makeover or something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 3:07 AM, Spakerman said:

I have never starved to death in all my runs... but I have not reached the super late game either... i.e. day 300+

300+ days is not "super late game", I'm sorry to inform you..

Tests and maths have demonstrated that 1000+ days is easy to do.. theoretically, several thousand days is possible.

Long-term, you are far more likely to die of boredom* than starvation.

* In two different ways.. one, you get sick of the monotony, and kill yourself..  two, the monotony makes you careless.. and carelessness can kill you very quickly.

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

300+ days is not "super late game", I'm sorry to inform you..

ok, that may be true for the 1% but I'm fairly certain that 300 days is longer than 99% of players will achieve.  I'll have to go find the stats on the achievement but I think the 500 days achievement was unlocked on around 0.5% of games owners accounts.

Though in terms of food scarcity, on Interloper, when does game scarcity start to become an issue?

1 minute ago, Spakerman said:

I'm fairly certain that 300 days is longer than 99% of players will achieve.

Very good point.

1 minute ago, Spakerman said:

Though in terms of food scarcity, on Interloper, when does game scarcity start to become an issue?

I'm the wrong person to ask  that one.. While I watch a lot of others play loper, I've done very little of it myself. But there are plenty of experienced lopers here who could tell you..

On 8/28/2018 at 5:23 AM, major0noob said:

that's my take on wolves, they're a easy resource. i think turning them off would make the game harder

Well, you can tinker with them quite a lot in the custom settings. Can't remember off the top of my head if you can turn them off entirely? (You can reduce their population quite substantially, though.)

Anyway, if you turn up all the struggle damage variables up to the top, you increase the risk factor of tangling with them too often (in case you miss your shot or something), as they can kill you outright and destroy good-condition clothing. I've also found that by turning up the level of 'wolf fear' (without enabling 'Passive Wildlife'), it makes their behaviour less predictable - sometimes they are aggressive, sometimes they aren't - which might make hunting them a little less reliable.
You can also ramp up the detection and scent variables, which can cause you to suddenly get surrounded by several at once if you're carrying meat or guts about.

It doesn't help your current game, but I'd recommend playing about with the Custom settings for future attempts.

Archived