Game won't start

MueckE

Without any reason, i suddenly had the mouse bug (where the mouse is above the actual buttons to be able to press) - so i wanted to try the solution found on the internet, changing the resolution to fix the problem. My normal resolution is 800x600 ingame, my desktop 1024 - i changed it ingame to 1024 and now the game doesn't start at all anymore!

I tried the usual things including the bat files, also when i try to change the launch options to "-w 800 -h 600" the same error message appears as if the game doesn't care about the launch options, it still wants to start in 1024 and ignores the launch options.

I am pretty sure i had this bug at one time already but can't find anything about it anymore in the forum. Please help.

error.JPG

output_log.txt

EDIT: I had the issue in december 2017 and it was fixed then. Back then, the same error appeared when i wanted to change anything ingame (sound, key, whatever), now the same thing happend again although this time i changed the resolution. Since 2017 i didn't change anything in my settings.

EDIT: i Just realised that the error says: 1024x600 and not (as it should) 1024x768

EDIT2: Trying the multiscreeb.bat, now the error is showing 1024x768, szill noit able to start the game. It also says something about centering the monitor (maybe that's the issue with the mouse)

5b82f9fc83190_multiscreenbat.JPG.4cb2af9d114494021f5f0e8ad1996023.JPG

Problem Fixed!

For some reason steam launch options don't work - so i created a shortcut of the tld.exe and added the launch values to the shortcut and voila, it works again.

.......\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld.exe -fullscreen -w 800 -h 600

When starting with that shortcut, the game starts normally again, ingame options can be changed without a crash and the issue with the mouse has gone. Anyway, hope this will help others with that problem too.

PS: It would be great if there would be a config file where all the ingame options can be changed manually (a simple text file - so everybody on any system would be able to adjust the gamesettings in that file), so it would be easy to change the resolution, keys, sound ....

Glad you found a solution, MueckE! We haven't made any recent changes to the game -- if you run into this again, perhaps check that your graphics drivers and OS are updated to their latest versions.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding a config file. You might want to add this to the Wishlist sub forum as well for tracking. :)

Archived