Custom mode Bunker

MueckE

I just started a custom mode game, spawned in ML, checked all Bunkerlocations but couldn't find one.

I've read that people found the bunker in custom mode. So my question is, have the locations changed over the time (didn't look for a bunker for more than a year), or is it indeed because of custom mode? In my custom settings i selected the baseline global loot to minimum and chances of empty boxes to medium. Could it be that other players found the bunker because they didn't change something regarding the loot?

I thought, in a custom game where there is as little loot as possible finding a bunker actually would be cool again - so i'm a little bit disappointed :(

I think that custom bunkers may be bugged. I have done 4 or 5 custom runs and only twice found a bunker in ML. In my current run I scoured ML in every location, found none, left for MT, came back and searched again, left for PV (to punish myself with blizzards) came back and found one right in plain sight in a location I know I searched before.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, MueckE said:

I just started a custom mode game, spawned in ML, checked all Bunkerlocations but couldn't find one.

I've read that people found the bunker in custom mode. So my question is, have the locations changed over the time (didn't look for a bunker for more than a year), or is it indeed because of custom mode? In my custom settings i selected the baseline global loot to minimum and chances of empty boxes to medium. Could it be that other players found the bunker because they didn't change something regarding the loot?

I thought, in a custom game where there is as little loot as possible finding a bunker actually would be cool again - so i'm a little bit disappointed :(

From what I understand, if you dial down the resources in a custom game to something like Interloper conditions, the AI disables the bunkers because the loot that could be gained would be considered an "unfair" advantage.   Anyway, I remember back when the game was first released there were 20 achievements and one was a challenge where the player had to visit every "interior" location in both Mystery Lake and Coastal Hwy.  Bunker was definitely considered to be an "interior" location.  

I decided to see if the old Hunter's Prep Bunker was still spawning 'cause last time I checked back in 2017 it still was.   I found the bunker after only 7 launches in Pilgrim mode.  I photo documented the finding which I hope you dont mind, I would like to share;

5b7f6069d214c_Hunterbunker.thumb.png.eb987f349104e2a096891542f4403ac8.png

Didnt think it was going to be this easy...

5b7f60c7c8b59_elaboratehatch.thumb.png.6674bf0246f83c402455bff6e44ff89e.png

Down the Hatch...  that is one elaborate hatch and ladder system.

5b7f611ab6889_featheringrate.thumb.png.55d306744f70c63a1ea89bcba5914a99.png

always check the ducts... nothing special but a crow's feather

flashlight.thumb.png.36e83c89359a986523df3a2379134acf.png

Flashlight on a shelf

5b7f624ed8542_ArrownLantern.thumb.png.fa0f8b57a36fa1d53e817a3889eeb218.png

Arrow and Lantern.... is there pun hiding around here?

5b7f630b13d64_coffeenmorningpaper.thumb.png.209232a3a3c4bd3c1705c64943c339f2.png

Coffee and the morning paper

5b7f62d425f38_Bedsiderifle68.thumb.png.fe8441de09a784a09cc466fd968bc338.png

Bedside rifle for when things go bump in the night

rifle.thumb.png.d1097fca0ea0ee620fdff321b0a3b1b6.png

decent condition overall

Snacks.thumb.png.ee3789afc6f725c2045800f93d32c9bd.png

snacks and assorted goodies

5b7f640cd10de_Bulletsnstuff.thumb.png.0bd928dd97d22866f2778933c1fc92e0.png

sundries and ammo

Desktop.thumb.png.c35a3a0cb52f88e4802bec74b17130df.png

your new home office !  how did they get that desk thru that hatch?  or was the hatch built around the desk?  

antique.thumb.png.f7a96b4456212b36933cb23def58f896.png

dont try this at home!

Overall, the loot is adequate.  15 rounds and an arrow with a couple of extra shafts gives a pretty immediate advantage.  The condition of the rifles is pretty poor overall requiring more than one cleaning kit to bring both of them back to 100%.  enough for now to get one fully tuned.  There's enough calories and water to stay fit for a couple of days.  Lots of shelf storage for sure or good source of scrap metal if you end up gutting the space.

Hmm, i basicly have Interöoper Settings, i just changed the lengh of time to 2x, disabled parasites, cabin fever and enabled the rifle (to get the old stalker feeling :) )

There is still more than enough loot around, it just was the idea looking for a bunker again while staying in ML with these Settings to get the feeling how TLD once was.

37 minutes ago, Stray Wolf said:

So are there actually two bunkers per run? I found the one in ML but have looked all over PV with no success. So I always thought once you've found one bunker that is it. (Except for the one in PV next to the rope up to TWM of course).

I'd be interested in hearing an answer to this question as well.  On a non-interloper run will there be a bunker in both ML and PV?

I mostly play on interloper  settings , so sadly I have not seen a bunker for a long time.. I also had the same dissapointment  when I set up an inerloper run with CF off and the rifle enabled. 

However I have done multiple runs of stalker in the past. 

Unless something has changed in the last few months, then yeah there should definitely be 2x bunker spawns available in a single run. 1x spawn in ML and 1x spawn in PV. There's also an additional one in pleasant valley that always spawns.  

But i won't spoil it in case you haven't  fully explored PV yet.

2 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

I'd be interested in hearing an answer to this question as well.  On a non-interloper run will there be a bunker in both ML and PV?

Yes, there should be two bunkers spawning, one in PV and one in ML.  the only two maps that have active bunkers.  Not counting the permanent bunker spawn between PV and Timberwolf Mt.

They arent all in the same location(s) that they once were due to some enhanced features, like rocks and rock outcroppings.  hunter bunker for example on ML  is now up to the right of where it used to be.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 2:50 PM, MueckE said:

Hmm, i basicly have Interöoper Settings, i just changed the lengh of time to 2x, disabled parasites, cabin fever and enabled the rifle (to get the old stalker feeling :) )

According to Hinterland, there are no bunker/caches in Interloper, other than the abandoned one in PV.. so if you use loper as your baseline for creating custom games, there won't be any in your game.

If you want bunkers, you'd be better off starting with a stalker baseline, then tweak things up/down to loper levels.

21 hours ago, JAFO said:

if you use loper as your baseline for creating custom games, there won't be any in your game.

If you want bunkers, you'd be better off starting with a stalker baseline, then tweak things up/down to loper levels.

So, if you choose 'Interloper' as your starting point, and then change all the settings so that they exactly match Pilgrim, the game still counts it as Interloper and gives you no bunkers?

Or is there a setting or combination of settings that must be on their Interloper value for that to happen?

Edit: Oh, and can anyone tell me whether the one near Pensive Pond has been moved? I must have been on Pleasant Valley hundreds of times, and I always check the location where I last saw it, but it hasn't been there for me in... maybe a year or more. (I don't know where the other one on PL is! (And I don't want to be told.))

13 minutes ago, Pillock said:

So, if you choose 'Interloper' as your starting point, and then change all the settings so that they exactly match Pilgrim, the game still counts it as Interloper and gives you no bunkers?

I'm guessing, of course, but it seems to me the most likely explanation. Some testing is called for, I guess.

18 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Or is there a setting or combination of settings that must be on their Interloper value for that to happen?

I see nothing in the custom settings that could even remotely affect bunkers.. so my guess is that yes, choosing a baseline as a starting point for customisation is what turns bunkers on or off. It would probably need testing of a lot of combinations to confirm/disprove it..

9 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I see nothing in the custom settings that could even remotely affect bunkers..

If it is one setting, I suspect it'll be the Baseline Loot. That's the one that enables/disables hatchets and knives spawning, I'm pretty sure. Interloper's setting is 'Low'; Stalker's is 'Medium'; Voyaguer's is... 'High'? (I've never bothered to check!) As Interloper, uniquely from the other modes, disables hatchets & knives and bunkers, then it'd make sense for that setting to apply to both things?

But I can't remember the last time I saw a bunker (or even if I ever have) in a custom game, and I nearly always choose 'Medium'.

11 minutes ago, Pillock said:

If it is one setting, I suspect it'll be the Baseline Loot. That's the one that enables/disables hatchets and knives spawning, I'm pretty sure. Interloper's setting is 'Low'; Stalker's is 'Medium'; Voyaguer's is... 'High'? (I've never bothered to check!) As Interloper, uniquely from the other modes, disables hatchets & knives and bunkers, then it'd make sense for that setting to apply to both things?

That's possible.. give it a shot and see..

10 hours ago, JAFO said:

That's possible.. give it a shot and see..

I might do. But it'd take me a while, because I don't actually know where all the bunker locations are!

On Mystery Lake, I've previously found 2 or 3 different ones on the hillsides opposite Logging Camp and above Clear Cut, plus the one that's at the top of the rope leading up from the Lake Trail Western Access area. I know there are others (and I have a rough idea where some probably spawn), but I've never found them myself.
On Pleasant Valley, I've only ever found the one near Pensive Pond - but I haven't seen that one for ages. I've got no idea where the other one is.

I don't want to look them up - I'd rather find them normally. To be honest, it'd be really useful if we could get an official dev explanation as to how the custom settings affect this - it's very far from being obvious what some of the variables actually do in practice, and I really can't see why that should be the case, frankly. If you're setting up a custom game, it's because you know how you want the game to behave. Having to guess at the affects of certain settings and experiment with different combinations in order to achieve what you want is essentially a waste of people's time.

4 hours ago, Pillock said:

I don't want to look them up - I'd rather find them normally. 

From what I understand, there are approximately 10 different locations on the PV map where a bunker might spawn.  there are a couple you probably might never stumble across just due to the nature of their location and you would not think to explore there because it doesnt look probable.  

10 hours ago, cullam said:

there are a bunch of possibilities for where Bunkers can appear in PV, not just two options

7 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

there are approximately 10 different locations on the PV map where a bunker might spawn

Actually, there are 9 possible locations on  PV (not including the abandoned one) and 9 on ML.

22 hours ago, JAFO said:
On 9/14/2018 at 1:40 PM, cullam said:

there are a bunch of possibilities for where Bunkers can appear in PV, not just two options

On 9/14/2018 at 4:42 PM, piddy3825 said:

there are approximately 10 different locations on the PV map where a bunker might spawn

Actually, there are 9 possible locations on  PV (not including the abandoned one) and 9 on ML.

That explains it then! Thanks.

I've just found a bunker in a custom game, randomly started on Mystery Lake:

Up the hill behind the rocks at the back of the main lake where the bear spawn is. Never seen it before ever, despite taking that route very frequently every time I'm on that map (it's the safest and most direct route between the Dam and the fishing huts)

I'm using medium Base Loot (same as Stalker), Rifles on, and all other loot variables at the lowest possible levels. On these settings, the actual loot amount you find is a lot closer to Interloper than to Stalker, but still a bit more than Interloper (and I think more random than Interloper). And you do get hatchets and knives - they don't seem to be nearly as abundant as in Stalker, but it does depend on the map, and a bit of luckofthedraw.

I started the settings with Stalker, but then changed nearly all of them - I don't know if the starting point makes a difference.

well unless the locations have changed dramaticly over the time, i can assure you that i know all locations and can find them even  in a blizzard :) back in the days i had a system where i would loot ML completlely and checked all locations for the bunker on day one and than went to PV to stay there, but the last time was long before Interloper came out and things have changed. That's why i thought it would be nice to try a custom game with basicly Interloper Settings but with the rifle and this time finding a bunker. I imagined the than would feel like TLD in the Beginning where there only was ML. So i was surprised, disappointed to not find a bunker.

Archived