Support XP

MueckE

I just read that steam will not run any longer on XP after January 2019. What does that mean for TlD?

I know, it doesn't effect many players, but this is a little disaster for me because TlD is basicly the only game i play :)

I procrastinated transitioning to Linux for quite some time now, so i assume now ist the time? My question is, will there be support for Linux in the future from Hinterland so i can play TlD? I just don't want to use any newer version of Windows  after XP and would prefer Linux over every other Windows.

Now is the time. It's always a good time to run linux! :D

I think it's completely reasonable to say that TLD will run on linux basically permanently. I can't speak to future games from Hinterland though.

If they continue to use the Unity engine then I expect they'll be supporting linux for the foreseeable future, but I'm in no position to guarantee they'll continue to use the Unity engine for any future games.

Linux is not that harsh on the mellow... my mom runs linux now (because I got tired of constantly fixing her windows machine after an errant click) and deals with it just fine. There's a learning curve and I'd highly recommend acquainting yourself with the command line (because CLIs are awesome, just sayin'), but you should be able to get yourself up and running with any ubuntu-based distro (Ubuntu, Mint, Studio, etc) without too much difficulty.

Thanks for the question! Our ability to provide Support is ultimately limited to systems that meet hardware/OS requirements of any partner software (such as Steam) and the game engine itself (Unity).

That doesn't necessarily mean the game will break on Windows XP systems when Steam stops supporting it, but it's as good a reason as any to consider updating to a newer OS.

We don't forsee dropping support for Linux systems in the future but please be aware that "Linux" is a huge family of OS, and we can only officially support those that are also supported by Unity -- namely Ubuntu. If you choose to go with another Linux OS, you'll likely need to rely other Linux users for help if you run into challenges running the game.

Archived