Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

I deleted a previous question of mine because I needed to rewrite it correctly.

1. I was wondering if NPCs will ever happen in survival mode?

2. I remember that you expressed your interest to make all-seasons The Long Dark at some point but that would be a totally new game and won't be free which is totally fine. I was wondering if you are still considering that idea to happen or is it now on shelves? I understand it will be very very time consuming but just a concern. :)

3. Since you are adding the revolver, I assume you will not implemented more firearms anymore? Shotgun does seem to fit well, especially for Hunting but like what you said, it would turn the game into action-shooter.

4. Finally, I was wondering if gunpowder making is still planned?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the number of questions.

1. What about expanding on hunting. I know people have mentioned more animals. What about things like rattling antlers calls? Perhaps more primitive technology like being able to throw or cast a spear, perhaps like an atlatl.

2. Would other fire starting techniques, such as a fire bow, be something to look into?

Thanks, this is a great team behind a great game.

What are your thoughts on putting up some behind the scenes videos on Hinterland's YouTube channel?  Games are a big undertaking and I'm always in wonderment on how a team, small or large, is able to create something from ostensibly nothing.  Like how did Cris Velasco and Sascha Dikiciyan come to a decision on the musical style to use?  How do the sound designers, programmers, and engineers bring the world to life with sound?  How do level designers and artist collaborate, or how do programmers deal with systems that overlap each other?  I've always enjoyed a behind the scenes look at how games are made because it puts a face on the people who make the game you enjoy playing so much.

Edited by PlayerPawn
Spelling and grammar.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Woah, that's an awesome annoucement, I'm very excited for Steadfast Ranger! My question is - the update comes sooner than I expected, about 4-5 months after the WINTERMUTE Redux one, which is about two months shorter than the typical 6 month delay you usually have between updates. Why? Is it because Hinterland got bigger, or is this just a smaller update, so it didn't take as much time to develop? Thank you for your answer. ☺️

I know this gets asked a lot but how is the switch version coming along?  I understand there is a need to keep the visuals close to what a good PC can achieve but I'd trade some of the visual flair for the opportunity to play one of my favourite games in any impromptu free time. I've seen how taxing SSAO can be to the PC version, I could without it for example. 

I'm leaning towards getting a switch and TLD would be the ultimate deal sweetener for me. 

Thanks!

Edited by Dan_

Is there a possibility for a lighter to be implemented into the game? One that takes around .15 kg of oil to have a chance to ignite fires? Yes, having max fishing would make this very beneficial but have it be the least likely to ignite a fire, making it be more useful as a light source with around a quarter of what the storm lantern full usage time is and about half as bright aswell. Had a weird dream about lighters being put it about a week ago, maybe it was a premonition of Steadfast Ranger update next week? ;^)

Hey raph

Do you have any interest in making some adjustments and or improvements to the fishing system currently in the game? I just get so frustrated when I catch a rainbow trout worth less than a nuts n stuff bar. I don't think fishing is very viable and I think could be improved. Tackles/makeshift rods would be cool. 

Lookin forward to steadfast ranger, enjoy your weekend. 

As the game is *somewhat* old, and that some systems were overhauled, what do you think, as a game developer, is harder to do? To add and balance new stuff around the already made game without providing an overpowered mechanic, or to overhaul already existing mechanics, while trying to make it both viable and similar to what it was?

The reason why I'm asking this question is because there are some games, such as DST or TF2 that have the problem of overhauling.

• Upvote 1

Hey, Raphael

I would love to see an art book of sorts/ a book of concept art and original ideas for locations etc.

I realise that you've answered this before but it was in Dispatch #6 on July 27th 2018. I would just like to know if you have anymore information regarding the art book.

Thanks. 

Hi Raphael, I'm posting this question for a 2nd time because it's been a few months & I'm still hoping for a reply. I might also just be fishing for hints about possible new regions. Stay warm & be cool.

Really excited for the update this week. I'm sure there will be some surprises. I'm wondering about new regions. Will there ever be a region that may be a bit more snowless? I mean, still frozen and everything but maybe there's a low valley on the leeward side of Great Bear Island that doesn't receive so much precipitation. There probably wouldn't be much advantage or special purpose to having such a place, but a slightly greater variety of terrain/landscape/atmosphere could be pretty cool and I'd love to see what your artists could do without so much snow everywhere.

Hi ! 

Hope you all doing great !!

So, I wonder Why do we have condition for things like bullet, stick, cat tail stalk, tinder, all types of firewood, etc ?

Since all of items above don't decay, I think having condition for them is useless.

So, Do you have any plan for making Condition for those items meaningful ?

Thank you. 

BTW sorry for bad English.

Do you have any plans for adding some kind of a "randomised event mechanic" into the current survival sandbox mode (or create a separate version for it)? I was thinking about a mechanic that would occasionally spawn an event into the world. Maybe something from the current Challenges, for example: During your usual sandbox survival, the character could notice a sudden change in weather conditions, indicating an approaching massive blizzard that would last for X days and the player would have to stock up and survive this time period (aka "Whiteout" style), or during an Aurora, the player could intercept a radio transmission, suggesting that a rescue-party is on its way, and had to get to Desolation's lighthouse in order to use a distress pistol (as in "Hopeless Rescue"), or maybe spawn the Old Bear survival/hunt challenge, similarely to "The Hunted" series etc.

Thank you and have a great day!

Concerning the Steadfast Ranger update. I have an ongoing 200-something days run, but being the slow and steady type I've never been to the coastal regions. Will the still unexplored regions count as "new" when I'll go there? Meaning: may I find the new items in them or loot is determined at the start of the game?

Edited by Doc Feral

I know this is a taboo topic and I apologize in advance if it violates any forum use policies, but here goes: 

Hinterland does not condone the use of player-created mods and, understandably, discourages their use due to support.  I read through all the great ideas coming in on the Wish List forum and it seems that if HL did support mods, that this would prompt more mid-to-end-game interest and also possibly free up some HL resources to work on more intensive game improvements/enhancements.

My question:  What is your current thoughts on mods?  Are you working on supporting them?

Hi, I'm curious about the location names in the game. Names such as "Katie's Secluded Corner" or "Max's Last Stand" seem oddly specific, indicating that they are unofficial names given by someone who witnessed some event (or perhaps hypothesize both the names and events of the corpses nearby). Other places have official-sounding names ("Hibernia Processing" etc.).

How is it?

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Question about newest Steadfast Ranger update, more specifically a polite request to clarify small detail about new sprain system. A lot of people seem to have similar confusion, and if I somehow did not understand it from the release video or missed it in update notes, then I'm sorry (but believe me, I've looked 😋).

So, new update introduced the mechanic where carrying too much weight (over character's limit) can be one of the factors that increase (or create) risk of getting a sprained ankle. Now the question is whether: you can only get a sprain when you are on an uneven terrain (the warning icon shows) and carrying too much only increases this risk, or whether you can sprain your ankle even on a flat surface when you are simply carrying too much?

Thanks for the clarification, sorry again if I misunderstood or missed the explanation in the video, and a big thank you to you and TLD team for giving us such a high quality experience! This latest update, for me personally, is great! I love everything about it! Made me want to go back to playing TLD after 2 months' brake, but I still have to wait till my finals are over 😄

I have been playing this game for a long time and have been watching and supporting it throughout the whole time. I was very pleased when you added the "personalization" of the world, but I would like something more, since I prefer to explore the world Tne Long Dark, how to survive. My question is the following: Do you plan to expand the "personalization" of the world or to add an official console?