Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

I am very curious to see if it would be anywhere close to possible to come up with a creative mode where you could spawn things in and fly around the map by typing in a command. I ask this question because it will allow new players to get a understanding of how the map works and the layout of it. 

Obviously you would have to add a "disable achievements" on that world with creative mode because the achievements show of how much a player is dedicated to the game or how well they are at it such as the "survive 500 days" achievement or get all of your levels at master level5. 

I don't expect for creative mode to be come a thing because of the interface issues that might accur, but I also have to point out I have not developed a game before, because development is different then just coding which I have done before, but only coding. 

Not only creative mode which would be fun but I do have to suggest one thing, and before I mention it, I know this has been asked more than once and is probably annoying at this point, but is multiplayer a possibly in the distant future. I say distant future because in order to make multiplayer I can imagine there is a lot of updating and redoing certain aspects of the game. I am already aware that multiplayer is in the long dark,(see what I did there, okay I apologize) because of the engine used to create the game. If it is possible you will most likely have to increase the number of supplies for both people,  but I know that is easy compared to the other things you developers have been doing.

I just want to point out, you can focus on these ideas or work on the other ones, I say this because there is so much more that could be put in the game, and in other words, there is potential in this game which is something most games don't have and in this game I am more than excited to see what hinterland is going to do with this game for the future, for in the mean time, I wait for episode 3.

Have a good time, and good luck

Edited by Biohazard
Confirmation on the most excitable topics for me

The game's motto "How far will you go to survive?" wasn't much of a thing in first two episodes ( while only one actually having consequences ). Is this feature going to be expanded in later episodes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kitnip said:

Really love the new update and the whole game for that matter.
I have a question.
When picking up the can of Pork & Beans it says in the text the name (Pork & Beans), But when looking at the back of the can at the ingredients it says that there is no pork in there.
why is that?

Maybe an allusion to reality? ^_^ See also the describtion of the military grade meals. When you have been in the army, you can understand much better! It was really funny to read :D:D

Edited by Karl Grylls

i'm sure this has either been asked before or is a mechanic in the game, but since neither are clear to me, i'll ask anyway:

my father-in-law cures his firewood for a year prior to actually burning it. this made me wonder if TLD had a similar mechanic (or would be something they'd introduce) into the game but with a more compressed timeframe and contributors to success with fires (e.g. fresh cut wood has a less-likelier chance of starting than wood that has been sitting for a few hours or days ). just a thought.

• Like 1

First of this has been one of my favorite games of all time. I love the feel you guys have created. My question: Having a moose hide, a bear hide, wolf hides, and deer hides takes up all the floor space in almost every indoor location. You’re forced to drop a pile and pick them up one at a time until you get to the one you want. Could we please get some kind of craftable multi-pelt/gut curing rack? Something that would have the inventory UI like a drawer but still allow them to dry. Maybe crafted from reclaimed wood?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Have you guys considered adding a respawn mechanic for Survival Mode, like tree limbs and animals respawn after a certain amount of time? Obviously, it would be an optional setting, but for me personally and I presume many other people who play this game enjoy the daily lifestyle presented by this game. For instance, I enjoy the Frontier lifestyle concept and I believe this game is a very good platform for some of these concepts, but unfortunately, due to the anti-respawning nature of this game (which is great for realistic survival) you are essentially forced to adopt a nomadic lifestyle, since your resources will inevitably run out in a certain area. Anyways, just wondering if you have any plans for a feature like this in the future.

Hello everyone at Hinterland, I've truly enjoyed the experience of The Long Dark, and the most recent update fixed, and introduced many new things that i really enjoyed, and what the community was wanting for a while now. Now that you are on the way to perfecting the cooking methods with constant improvements, a question came to mind regarding The Long Dark's animals. 

Question: Can you please do an overhaul of the current animals in The Long Dark? 

I ask this because as of the moment, in The Long Dark, wolves can be quite simple to avoid, have some very twitchy animations, and next to no turning animations. The same is with all the animals, although i do not know as much for the moose. Any animal that is running away, turned instantly without and animation, which can break immersion, especially when a wolf does a 180 degree turn, without any animation or hint that it's going to turn around. Thank you for the recent updates, but i truly think that the animals in The Long Dark, need a little bit more love. Thanks for reading.                                           -Smellyfries

• Upvote 2

Can we expect new animals to be added in the future? I know many LD YouTubers have been asking for raccoons to be added along with craftable coon-soon hats. However, I’m not sure of the raccoons’ ability to survive during a harsh winter.  This being said, a coon-skin hat really adds to the survival effect. :) Do you think any other new animals will be implemented anytime soon?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

The addition of new animals into the LD always greatly improves playability and allow players to survive longer. Many YouTubers and myself have been asking for/wondering about the addition of raccoons into TLD. Some pros to this would be a craftable coon-skin hat (Davy Crocket hat) which is a classic survival symbol. If you don’t know what I’m referring to, a quick Google search will get you answers. Another pro could be more meat variety and ways to hunt (new hunting style/system?). But would the implementation of a raccoon work with this style of game? Can raccoons even survive during the winter-time? 

Thanks for reading and I eagerly await hearing your input! :) Happy surviving!

Edited by RuggedlySurviving

I don’t want to speak for Hinterland, but, they seem very unlikely (with their answers to all of the previously asked questions about these topics) to add a “creative mode” or even a multiplayer option. Raphael has said before that the addition of a multiplayer option would hinder gameplay and more or less remove the rugged survival aspect of the game. 

• Upvote 1

I love the game so much! i know, this may sound a bit crazy, but is there any way to do the map generated procedurally? (it can be new survival mode for example) 

I understand the huge changes that's bring in all gameplay aspects and totally broke current ballance, but is there the any chance that you consider that idea in the future?

great thanks! you are the best!

(sorry, for my English)