Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

We merged a bunch of individual threads into this one, so that they questions don't get lost. 

To increase your questions chances of getting addressed by @Raphael van Lierop please:

• keep them in this thread
  • make sure they haven't been asked earlier in the thread or answered in a previous Milton Mailbag
  • keep them as brief and to the point as possible

Thanks for all the great questions, and keep them coming.

• Like 1

Are you guys going to rework the animations and difficulty of the animals? Wolves seem to have some twitchy animations, as well as the deer, and bear. Wolves also have zero turning animation, which can break the immersion. 

Edited by Smellyfries
  • Upvote 2

Do you plan on reworking the hunger system? Currently my survivor is starving 99% of the game, with the majority of my meals being right before bed so I can heal off the tiny starving damage. At the same time, if you made starving more punishing, it'd be harder to accumulate enough food since you go hungry fairly quickly.

• Upvote 2

Have you considered adding more effects of sleep deprivation?  Blurred vision/varying light levels or brief blackouts might make sense for first symptoms as the survivor struggles to keep their eyes open.  Auditory hallucinations would come next, maybe including some wolf sounds to scare you.  If you wanted to go even further, eventually visual hallucinations could set in, and again I can imagine an example being: you turn around and suddenly a wolf is lunging at you snarling, then disappearing as you fall over ready to struggle.  I dunno, something like that, making it both more interesting and more punishing to forego sleep too much?

Edited by leusid
  • Upvote 3

Hey! Just curious why does one the Grave Stones by the Trappers Homestead have my brothers initials KG on it? 

Also do do you think you'll add pancakes to the game. I love the I Hart Pancakes art in the houses. I even made one and put it in my room! It would be cool if the pans you can find in the game were called Cooking Pans or something and you could cook Pancakes in them and maybe sausage or Bacon just a thought. 

When adding new animals, will you give some/all animals new routes? This would be really refreshing to older players and the new ones would get some space too. Even if you don't plan to bring new animals in the closer future, maybe you think about new routes for some animals. It would be a nice surprise (or a bad one hehe :D) and refreshes the feeling :)

• Upvote 3

I really like the new update since it makes the game more complex and slightly harder. But what are your considerations about raising the games skill ceiling for the experienced players while being kind to newcomers? Seems to me a lot of experienced players feel the boredom after ex. 30-50 days of interloper. At the same time introducing new features will have the risc of powercreep. I reallys see the potential in TLD to become "easy to learn, hard to master".  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

will there be any other mini games like the safe? I know there was discussion about interactions with lighting a fire, but is there anything else that you have planned? Maybe like forging the scrap knife, having to hit points of the metal to make a better blade with better durability if you hit it correctly with the heavy hammer. Or anything thing to do with fishing, interactive gun cleaning, or crafting items. Anyways I believe I have spoke my mind, keep up the good work and have a nice day. 

Sincerely -—  Swope25

• Upvote 2

Interesting- keep in mind that gun cleaning doesn't require a "mini-game", as it's not a hard task to accomplish. Tool making at the forge would be interesting, but what you do is just hit hot metal with a hammer; tool making and gun cleaning both don't need any time of quick time event.

Maybe fishing? Also, first-person firemaking is a very interesting idea: you have to manually drop wood from your radial and then surround it with stones that you have collected in various areas. You then see an animation of your character trying to light the fire

• Like 2

In my opinion, Raph has stated in the first Milton Mailbag, and in the February Dev Diary, that Episode 3 has no release date as of yet- we don’t even have any details on it, besides that it will be through Astrid’s perspective, and the playable area will be similar to Episode 2. 

First of all, I want to thank Hinterland for creating the most immersive, enjoyable game I have played in a long time - if ever. You guys are amazing! I have a few random questions that have come to mind at the moment:

1. Cooking - plans to make freshly boiled water give you warmth bonus? How about recipes that give you more calories (i.e. venison + cat tail stalks + water = venison soup)

2. Mittens - not able to use the rifle, flare gun, or bow while wearing mittens?

3. Trapping - more options with a possible skill category involved?

4. Sled - ability to craft/find a sled to help carry gear through certain areas.

5. Exercise - another option to pass time. Burns more calories/thirst/tiredness but raises temp, wards off cabin fever, and improves a fitness skill which gives endurance/encumbrance perks.

Keep up the good work, love this game!!!

• Upvote 4

You do have a point, but I figured that it would be more interesting if you had consequences to dong a task wrong, kinda like if you tried to make a shirt but stitched it wrong, so it offers less protection against the cold or the wind.

Regarding faithful cartographer achievement.

With the new region - Hushed River Valley, does the achievement now require the mapped locations from this new region? (Same question applies for Mountain Town)

Can we expect more craftable tools, clothes and such in the near future? If so, can you give us a spoiler? :> 

Thank you.

Edited by Alonzo.

17 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

When adding new animals, will you give some/all animals new routes? This would be really refreshing to older players and the new ones [animals, not players] would get some space too. Even if you don't plan to bring new animals in the closer future, maybe you think about new routes for some animals. It would be a nice surprise (or a bad one hehe :D) and refreshes the feeling :)

It was confusing before and i missed the time for editing again

I am really loving the new cooking. It lets me do a lot more other things while my steaks cook or water boils. One question you have a pot that is used for water, maybe soups and stews in distant future, how about some fry pans? for steaks, bacon and erm if any found eggs!  Just seems a bit odd how we wack our steak directly on the stove top atm, sure it works but not so good for the stove top, plus the steak would stick to it burn?

cook01.thumb.jpg.cbfc8939295737f3552939735682c077.jpg

Edited by nicko
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

fish and steaks...can go straight in the pot to cook... this is also an easier method of cooking by clicking on the pot and selecting what you want in it... easier to avoid eating anything raw...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

fish and steaks...can go straight in the pot to cook... this is also an easier method of cooking by clicking on the pot and selecting what you want in it... easier to avoid eating anything raw...

ah yes I guess i been using the pots to boil my water while thinking, geez wish I had a frying pan to cook my steaks.

Edited by nicko
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WeRtheWild said:

It's definetly a good idea, an idea that was answered by Raph in the last Milton Mailbag. Hats are the last piece of clothing that cannot be made by the player, so any implementation would be most welcome. 

But I'm not sure that we should bring a new animal into the game for this sole purpose: rabbit meat is lacklustre, and we can only use its hide for mittens. Why not implement a hat out of rabbit hide? 

I am aware that Raph answered the hat question in the last MM and that’s why I’m not asking this under the questions tab. I wanted community input and to state my ideas. The main reason why I think new animals should be added is, as I said in my post, the hunting system we currently have could be changed which would give much relief to older players. New animals=new tactics. I’m not looking for these new animals to be added soon, I just want to begin to think about the next animal addition. Because there will be one. Lastly, I don’t only want these animals for the hat. So much more content could be added with these additions, I just love seeing this game grow. 

Thanks for your input.

• Upvote 1