Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

1- Will TLD system requirement change in the future ?

2- Do we get animation for things like starting fire , harvesting carcass in survival mode ? ( like the one in story mode when Will cut a deer carcass in crash site )

3- I remember when there was a list about upcoming things That might added to game named " Roadmap ". What happaned for it ? I searched for it and couldn't find it. 

4- Will you add more "Color"  to the environment ? Like Why all the mountain in game are dark blue ? 🤔

Thanks 🙂

Edited by alone sniper

Don't think a revolver adds to survivability, but 'due to popular request' I understand.

Animations is a Big Thing, imagine wildlife not turning on a dime.. (AI might need a tweak where deer don't run towards you..)

Wolves listening after they hear a sound actually has an impact, it makes me hold my breath! Rabbits atm not so much :) 

Just keep it Hardcore Survival please!

No question, just circling back on something from Mailbag 26. @JeremiahJohnson asked about adding thunderstorms to the game, to which you responded that you had not heard of thunderstorms in the winter.

Well, thundersnow is definitely a thing!  It's rare and requires rather specific conditions to occur, but it does happen.  More frequently by the Great Lakes, but hypothetically there's nothing stopping it from happening over Vancouver Island...or Great Bear for that matter.  And it's one heck of a wake up call, especially at night the way the lightning reflects off the falling snow.  It's like a bomb going off in the sky.

• Upvote 2

I was in Coastal Highway, in that fishing hut near fishing camp, waiting for an aurora when I saw something that caught my eye. I've seen a set of stars that I know very well since I was a child because it's one of the most famous constellations in Southern Hemisphere, the Crux (aka Southern Cross). Image 1 shows what I saw in the game and image 2 shows the Southern Cross in the sky.

cruzeiro.thumb.jpg.c175d1962c6add50612bd9d002902f44.jpgInkedcruzeiro-do-sul-constelacao-8_LI.jpg.aa8121c5b0490f436a16a80181330679.jpg

My question is: Is it really the Crux constellation what I saw in the game or just a huge coincidence?

• Upvote 1

It was said in the last Dev Diary that Episode Three was reduced from three to only one region. Could you tell us what are the other two regions in wich Episode Three would happen before the change? Just for curiosity 😁

It was also said that Pleasant Valley is being updated for Episode Three. Will this region update be available for Survival Mode before Episode Three?

I know, I keep asking. I also know y'all are EXTREMELY busy with Story and Survival mode updates. I have logged the first two episodes of the "Signal Hill Podcast", which features various post-apocalyptic or similar topics picked by Raphael and Patrick. I was hoping to see a new episode when time permits. Is there any interest in another episode? I do enjoy listening to them and would love to see more of them in the future!

Thanks for your time,

Joey.

Okay i don't know if this is only me, but I was playing yesterday, and in the very early morning my character woke up and i went outside. I kept hearing a sound i've never heard before in the game. It sounded like a plane flying overhead, but there wasn't anything above me yet the sound was very loud. (this wasn't during an aurora and I was in crumbling highway; definitely did not mistake the sound for not just being the waves from the ocean) I even have a clip of it and and you can definitely hear this weird sound.  Was this purposely put in the game or is it some type of glitch possibly on my end?

Hello! I have loved the soundtrack and saw that you had made a Twitter saying it was going to be on ITunes. Are you still planning on putting it on? If so do you have a general date like this year or when all the episodes are out?

thank you and keep up the good work!

• Hinterland
2 hours ago, Hawk said:

In the Milton Mailbag Dispatch #28 posted today, @Raphael van Lierop said:

So those of us that play TLD on Win 7 will never be able to play the finished game unless we upgrade to Win 10?

The system requirements advertised on Steam only list Win 7 and Win 10.

To be clear @Hawk -- because this isn't what I said -- I was referring to older versions of Windows that MS no longer supports like Vista and XP (which used to be in our min-specs). We've since removed them. Win 7 and Win 10 should be fine until we finish the game.

As far as I can tell, the new soundtrack released in Vigilant Flame is not in the game's OST you can buy on Steam and Bandcamp. This is the only thing stopping me from buying it, because these are one of my favourite tracks and I would love to listen to them on their own. Will there be an updated version or will these release along Ep. 3 in Volume Two, perhaps? Thanks for your answer. :-)

• Upvote 1

Is there any chance there could be an option added to the custom settings to turn off dead bodies, even though they are loot containers? I would like to play this with my younger nieces and nephews and not have to explain why there are frozen people in all the areas. Thank you for your consideration.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:47 PM, PlayerPawn said:

Is it possible to get some behind the scenes videos on your official YouTube channel?  I'm always interested in various components of game design and I love seeing how things come together.

I second this! Without giving off too many spoilers however...

• Upvote 2

Hello! I'd like to ask you, what is the direction of future updates of Survival Mode. Are you going to focus on increasing the amount of new content (like adding Revolver and someday  the new region, which I'm looking forward to!) or maybe on overhauling mechanisms (like starting fires or fishing) or something else? Is there an aspect of the Survival Mode which in your opinion is currently a problem? (like not enough places to visit? too little variety of items? no goals after exploring the whole world?)

1.jpg.c40e56f123653d55c992e4fe9c135f74.jpg2.jpg.6dfbae6f819b6069b181414d39793034.jpg3.jpg.c0dc0cabaf963cabca3c3c75a8a70571.jpg4.jpg.cbdeb1ec05e71f69132df28bb81faffb.jpg148069507_2.thumb.png.7cfa23706dc24ef4f5c1b8c34b3e424d.png1979311488_1.thumb.png.5d56ff1788cf545717b4d592b108c52a.pngI have been playing this game for a long time and I have one very interesting question: Why are some objects in survival mode simply inaccessible for interaction or, on the contrary, fail through textures. Is that how it should be?

• Upvote 1

Hello @Raphael van Lierop and the team, thanks for this reaaaaally nice game.

I have a simple question: why did you (personally or as a team), at some point, chose to reward players exponentially for sleeping long stretches?

Something linear like "in a bed, after the first hour, every hour slept heals twice the normal awake recovery" would have seemed more natural to me. That would still make players sleep long stretches, but not come back from the other side of the Styx in only one night.

It stills bugs me that you can go to bed after a wolf fight with frostbite risk, 4 sprains, hypothermia, eat 7 cattails, drink, choose 10 hours, and start as if nothing happened. As if it was not a big mistake to be careless.

• Upvote 1

1) I am not sure if this has been ask before or not. But I notice how Characters have there own unique clothing that is not in survival. Is there any chance you will be adding Will's coat & boots, Jeremiah's hat, coat & boots or Mathis's sheepskin jacket into survival mode as a wearable clothing item that can be found but not crafted? Or do you wish to keep those unique to the characters?

2) Is that white wolves in the new cover art? Is that a hint at a future addition?

Edited by XAlaskan_420X
  • Upvote 3

Since the lore of Great Bear Island is that it was pretty much an industrial powerhouse, would we see a more industrial side of Great Bear instead of some small logging camps and mines or waling like habrina, like if we saw huge logging camps or coal fired power plants or possibly steel mills

• Upvote 3

One thing (as an American, lol) I always appreciate in games are firearm sound effects and reload animations. The bullet-by-bullet animation of the rifle remains one of my favorites ever. The satisfying clink of brass hitting brass, sometimes I unload my rifle drop a bullet and reload it again just for that sound. 

I do tend to fidget with my weapon out in this game, unloading it and reloading it as I walk to have something to do with my hands. Aiming every few seconds just cause. Especially with the flaregun, I cock and uncock that thing maybe a hundred times each time I go walking.

My question is: do you plan on adding attachments or customizations to our weapons? I love my rifle but i'd love it even more with some bear fur wrapped around the stock as a little trophy. Alternatively, a scope or one of those little keychain things hanging off the end of the barrel. A rabbit's foot for luck or something. Something to make the weapon mine. Even the option to carve notches into the stock with a hunting knife for each kill would go a long way. 

Of course this is all optics and none of it really matters to survival, but I think getting attached to your weapon is always a nice feeling. 

• Upvote 3