admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

686 posts in this topic

yeh great idea, I gather a lot of backers just left?  I'm sure community updates would be a great idea.

First of all: add your question in the main "question thread" for Milton Mailbag since creators most likely won't respond to it in separate thread.

This way we all could get an answer to that question since I also agree that Cairns require something more interesting in them than just generic message. You have a good idea!

Being decidedly and proudly Canadian, does it bother you that many people  - including youtube letsplayers - keep mispronouncing Voyageur as voyager? It seems to me the name was picked with intent and with pride in your country's history, not to mention the incredible spirit of early settlers and frontiersfolk. From what I gather their time period is fondly remembered in legends and songs and the people regarded as heroes. I don't think anyone intends to offend you/them, but it shows some level of ignorance, no?

Some questions about the craftable clothing in the game. 

Why is there only 1 craftable item from wolf pelts? Is it because they are so common? 

I feel that the moosehide cloak is a little bit underwhelming. It's waterproofness and protection are great, but it's weight and sprint penalty are what has kept me from hunting moose. Is there a possibility for a buff or rework for this item? 

Thanks 

5 hours ago, amadeuszbx said:

First of all: add your question in the main "question thread" for Milton Mailbag since creators most likely won't respond to it in separate thread.

This way we all could get an answer to that question since I also agree that Cairns require something more interesting in them than just generic message. You have a good idea!

am i not in the mailbag thread?  was/is there a more appropriate message string i should have posted my question in?

Fluffy was really difficult to deal with and it gave heart attacks to new players, so I think it was wise to remove her, but have you ever considered adding her back to the game through custom settings or something? I really don't think she should be added back to normal difficulties (or at least not pilgrim and voyageur), but it would be nice to have a way to bring her back.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

am i not in the mailbag thread?  was/is there a more appropriate message string i should have posted my question in?

Yup! Just ask your question in this thread:

:-)

Perhaps I missed it and if I did, my apologies, however I am curious if there are any plans on updating the Cairns with the stories that so many seem to be missing?

I typically check each one I find in hopes of finding a thoughtful morsel of prose, but so many are still empty and the "story hasn't been told" message isn't very rewarding.  Is this because of programming effort it takes to do so or was it because the backers didn't provide you with any material?    If it was due to lack of material content from the backer(s) and if the backer(s) were amenable to the idea, would you consider some community generated content with which to fill those "empty" cairns?   You could make it contest!

thanks for the consideration

I love exploring the unknown, and The Long Dark scratches that itch, but the interior layouts of many of the places I explore are very “cookie cutter.” Is there an effort or plan to differentiate interior locations even more in the future? I mean new artwork hanging on the walls, different looking chairs and furniture, etc, would go a long way toward creating an even greater sense of immersion.

Hey guys now I’m a bit new but I just had an idea for a new “tool” for the game but it may be a bit tough to implement which is skis. They would probably be a tad on the rare side or could be crafted but they could help moving around in the mountains and getting away from predators. Well thanks for your time and the awesome game guys.

Hi,

I have really enjoyed your game for the past year and a half, and I've often wondered about something. Has there ever been any plans to sprinkle more evidence of other, living humans in the game? I played survival mode for so long that when I started coming across live humans in Wintermute it was jarring (in a good way)

One of my favourite parts of Hushed River Valley was finding the source of that eternal flame. I thought it was really cool to hint that other living humans had been through recently. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to maybe sprinkle in some easter eggs of, for example, seeing a human walking through the snow when you are at a distance (at a lookout, or on a cliff's edge) or perhaps walking into a building that has a lit fire somehow

The person would be inaccessible, of course, but my mind keeps wanting to find a trace of another living human being somewhere. Not just dead ones hahaha.

Really enjoy your game, can't wait for Ep 3 and beyond, but I was just wondering if this is something you have ever considered. Thanks. Feel free to reply here or in Milton Mailbag.

• Upvote 1

1. Can players get the ability to remove a campfire (any one they created)?

The campfire is about the only item that players can "construct" making a permanent change to the landscape.  Its permanence is generally a good thing, but not always a good thing (or maybe not always desirable due to aesthetic consideration).  Sometimes the landscape snow surface shifts (or the position of the campfire changes) or maybe the player thinks that moving the campfire 'just so' would suit him better. 

An expansion on the question above.

2. Can the old-style campfire be reintroduced as a "temporary" campfire, maybe with more flexibility as to surface conditions (i.e. can be placed on more uneven or sloped surfaces) with one cooking surface or perhaps none, for heat only?  By "temporary" I mean that once it burns out it can despawn, for example, similar to that of fully harvested carcasses. 

#2 would make #1 less necessary but I have no idea how difficult either would be to implement.

• Upvote 1

Probably should have posted this here too so I'll cross-link. 

My question is whether there are now (or were there ever) plans to have evidence of real live humans in the game (lit fires, inaccessible figures in the distance etc)

• Upvote 1

I bought The Long Dark in 2014 (almost five years ago!) for $15 on a Steam sale. Since then I've played ~1,000 hrs which easily makes this my favorite game ever. I'm always a fan of good value, but it's also in my best interest that Hinterland stays healthy and solvent :) Do you have any plans to release paid DLC, like new locations, episodes, tools, stories, etc? I think there would be a lot of interest in this.

• Upvote 1

Any chance to see a way to simplify the handling of large numbers of items? A hotkey to pick up everything in sight and range, or making so that items dropped in a bunch remain in a bunch... There are complaints and pleads about this almost weekly.

In all of my saves, wolves eat decoys instantly, this is normal ? I saw a video where wolves take time to eat decoys.

And I wonder how you integrate the Bear Spear in survival mode. It will be a unique item ? You can craft it (I think it would be unbalanced) ? You find different pieces and you assemble them ? You can find the Bear Spear but you must repair it, like Wintermute ?

I say all this because I think you’re going to add the Spear but maybe not:D

In the future could you guys possibly add an option to click out of a loading screen? The information in them are short, but I often don't finish reading them before it finishes loading.

Real Question: Plan on adding any new food items?

The loading screens aren't there to show the tips and info. The tips and info were added to make the loading screens less boring.

The loading screens are necessary to actually load the next scene of the game. There's a lot of data that has to be loaded. Hence the need for the loading screens. You can't click through that.

Edited by Hawk

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

The loading screens aren't there to show the tips and info. The tips and info were added to make the loading screens less boring.

The loading screens are necessary to actually load the next scene of the game. There's a lot of data that has to be loaded. Hence the need for the loading screens. You can't click through that.

I think that Smellyfries proposed to leave loading screens until you press some key. E.g. there might be a status, like "Loading", while the data is loading. When it finished, the screen stays on place with a status like "Press any key to continue". So the game will start only when a player finishes with tips and info and decides to play.

Hello and first off thank you for a wonderfully, enjoyable game!

Couple of quick questions to get the developers thoughts on a few things.

1. Eating ruined (0% condition) cooked meat gives the full calories and with Cooking at lvl5 the player has no chance of getting food poisoning also cooking ruined (0% condition) meat restores it to 50% condition. Ruined is ruined, we are unable to repair clothes or other items that are ruined so what makes meat so special?

2. Drinking a tea to get a few calories and reduce the weight of said tea does not give the benefit of the tea. Drinking this left over tea, at a later time, gives the player the full benefit as if they had drank the entire tea.

These all seem to be "exploits" or clever use of game mechanics to me and each player can do as they will and I am not to judge them. I am just wondering is this was the intended way the developers envisioned these game mechanics?

8 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

I think that Smellyfries proposed to leave loading screens until you press some key. E.g. there might be a status, like "Loading", while the data is loading. When it finished, the screen stays on place with a status like "Press any key to continue". So the game will start only when a player finishes with tips and info and decides to play.

Ahhh! Good point. My bad. I misunderstand what he said. :$

First, I have to say that I love the new narrative in the WINTERMUTE redux. I like how the town of Milton has been fleshed out. I thought it was odd that the town was freshly abandoned in the Predux, but there was no mention of the residents. With that said, I'm a little upset that the connection between Grey Mother and Farmer Barker was stunted in the Redux. I really liked the scene where Grey Mother explained who Lilly was in the Predux. The music was timed with the emotion of the scene perfectly. The same scene was so bland in the Redux. I didn't feel as emotionally compelled. Is there a chance we could bring the old scene back? I like all the improved interactions with Grey Mother. The new interactions are great, because she doesn't seem manipulative anymore, just alone and confused. 

I do miss the old path down to Milton from the Predux. I loved how isolated and punishing it was to make it from the plane crash site, to the road, bridge, trailer, and church. I felt like I really accomplished surviving something making it all the way there. Maybe it could be reintroduced for the hardened difficulty only? I don't think it would be unprecedented to change the path depending on the difficulty. I understand the focus on narrative and need to cut to the point for new or casual players. Maybe the new path could be used for the lower difficulties?

As for survival mode, is there any chance a way of preserving food will be introduced, like a smoker? I like the idea of smoking food for hours and using specific resources (i.e. fir, green wood, sticks and hides) to accomplish it. 

Edited by mean_jim
Formatting