Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

I'm curious... What kind of field tests have you and the team done to determine the various values that are incorporated in the game's code? For example did you go out to lite a fire and see how much time it took for snow to melt and boil, or go ice fishing to see how often would a fish bite, or how long does it take for a piece of meat to go bad for example. What kind of things do you only research and what kind of things you actually tried. Which are the most memorable experiences?

Also, are you finally going to let us sleep anywhere, even without a bedroll, because it's kind of unfair to die of exhaustion when you've forgotten your sleeping bag, while there are plenty of surfaces to lie down on and take a nap. We will of course be sacrificing the warmth bonus and there must even be a few degrees penalty for lying on a cold surface.

Edited by Mystix
  • Upvote 1

I think I remember reading something about this in a former mail bag but I am going to ask it again just in case. 

I love playing TLD,  it’s hands-down one of my favorite games. I do have a problem however with some of the gameplay.  I have brain damage which causes tremors in my hands. Normally this doesn’t bother me and I can play the game just fine, however it makes it nearly impossible to hunt with a bow and arrow or any of the firearms .  Is there a way to make hunting more accessible for people with disabilities?  I understand it might make the game easier for non-disabled players but given how it’s currently made I can’t use the hunting features no matter how much I practice.  I’ve already tried adjusting the mouse sensitivity and that hasn’t helped.

The transition area between Mountain Town and Mystery Lake has a part where you overlook what seems to be the other side of the tunnel that takes you out of Milton, possibly the way Astrid went. It has what looks like truck turned over turned. Will this be a new area that can be explored in the future? Maybe the start of episode 3 where Astrid is on the other side of the tunnnel? :)

Some of the players have asked for an official mod support for years.  When do you think it would be released?   

I'm a deaf gamer so I wonder if it's possible to show any subtitle that showed any animal spawn that would make any noises such as footsteps or growling, howling, etc. to be shown in subtitle so that I could stop and pause and consider my options to keep myself alive.  I just do not like any blindside attacks.   If it's possible, make it an option in the menu.  

Perhaps I missed it and if I did, my apologies, however I am curious if there are any plans on updating the Cairns with the stories that so many seem to be missing?

I typically check each one I find in hopes of finding a thoughtful morsel of prose, but so many are still empty and the "story hasn't been told" message isn't very rewarding.  Is this because of programming effort it takes to do so or was it because the backers didn't provide you with any material?    If it was due to lack of material content from the backer(s) and if the backer(s) were amenable to the idea, would you consider some community generated content with which to fill those "empty" cairns?   You could make it contest!

thanks for the consideration

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

First of all: add your question in the main "question thread" for Milton Mailbag since creators most likely won't respond to it in separate thread.

This way we all could get an answer to that question since I also agree that Cairns require something more interesting in them than just generic message. You have a good idea!

Being decidedly and proudly Canadian, does it bother you that many people  - including youtube letsplayers - keep mispronouncing Voyageur as voyager? It seems to me the name was picked with intent and with pride in your country's history, not to mention the incredible spirit of early settlers and frontiersfolk. From what I gather their time period is fondly remembered in legends and songs and the people regarded as heroes. I don't think anyone intends to offend you/them, but it shows some level of ignorance, no?

Some questions about the craftable clothing in the game. 

Why is there only 1 craftable item from wolf pelts? Is it because they are so common? 

I feel that the moosehide cloak is a little bit underwhelming. It's waterproofness and protection are great, but it's weight and sprint penalty are what has kept me from hunting moose. Is there a possibility for a buff or rework for this item? 

Thanks 

5 hours ago, amadeuszbx said:

First of all: add your question in the main "question thread" for Milton Mailbag since creators most likely won't respond to it in separate thread.

This way we all could get an answer to that question since I also agree that Cairns require something more interesting in them than just generic message. You have a good idea!

am i not in the mailbag thread?  was/is there a more appropriate message string i should have posted my question in?

Fluffy was really difficult to deal with and it gave heart attacks to new players, so I think it was wise to remove her, but have you ever considered adding her back to the game through custom settings or something? I really don't think she should be added back to normal difficulties (or at least not pilgrim and voyageur), but it would be nice to have a way to bring her back.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps I missed it and if I did, my apologies, however I am curious if there are any plans on updating the Cairns with the stories that so many seem to be missing?

I typically check each one I find in hopes of finding a thoughtful morsel of prose, but so many are still empty and the "story hasn't been told" message isn't very rewarding.  Is this because of programming effort it takes to do so or was it because the backers didn't provide you with any material?    If it was due to lack of material content from the backer(s) and if the backer(s) were amenable to the idea, would you consider some community generated content with which to fill those "empty" cairns?   You could make it contest!

thanks for the consideration

I love exploring the unknown, and The Long Dark scratches that itch, but the interior layouts of many of the places I explore are very “cookie cutter.” Is there an effort or plan to differentiate interior locations even more in the future? I mean new artwork hanging on the walls, different looking chairs and furniture, etc, would go a long way toward creating an even greater sense of immersion.

Hey guys now I’m a bit new but I just had an idea for a new “tool” for the game but it may be a bit tough to implement which is skis. They would probably be a tad on the rare side or could be crafted but they could help moving around in the mountains and getting away from predators. Well thanks for your time and the awesome game guys.

Hi,

I have really enjoyed your game for the past year and a half, and I've often wondered about something. Has there ever been any plans to sprinkle more evidence of other, living humans in the game? I played survival mode for so long that when I started coming across live humans in Wintermute it was jarring (in a good way)

One of my favourite parts of Hushed River Valley was finding the source of that eternal flame. I thought it was really cool to hint that other living humans had been through recently. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to maybe sprinkle in some easter eggs of, for example, seeing a human walking through the snow when you are at a distance (at a lookout, or on a cliff's edge) or perhaps walking into a building that has a lit fire somehow

The person would be inaccessible, of course, but my mind keeps wanting to find a trace of another living human being somewhere. Not just dead ones hahaha.

Really enjoy your game, can't wait for Ep 3 and beyond, but I was just wondering if this is something you have ever considered. Thanks. Feel free to reply here or in Milton Mailbag.

• Upvote 1

1. Can players get the ability to remove a campfire (any one they created)?

The campfire is about the only item that players can "construct" making a permanent change to the landscape.  Its permanence is generally a good thing, but not always a good thing (or maybe not always desirable due to aesthetic consideration).  Sometimes the landscape snow surface shifts (or the position of the campfire changes) or maybe the player thinks that moving the campfire 'just so' would suit him better. 

An expansion on the question above.

2. Can the old-style campfire be reintroduced as a "temporary" campfire, maybe with more flexibility as to surface conditions (i.e. can be placed on more uneven or sloped surfaces) with one cooking surface or perhaps none, for heat only?  By "temporary" I mean that once it burns out it can despawn, for example, similar to that of fully harvested carcasses. 

#2 would make #1 less necessary but I have no idea how difficult either would be to implement.

• Upvote 1