Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

What's your reason for increasing the rate at which fires start? Originally it could take almost 15 seconds when using something like a magnifying glass or cardboard matches. This same thing also spans into survival mode, which in my opinion, makes starting a fire a little less tense (maybe that was your point.) But either way, thank you for the effort you put into this very large update for the story, and survival. Good luck in the future!

I'm not very good at making names either.

I've always considered playing TLD in my native language (Czech) with a community translation, but I don't like the one that's currently on Steam, so I've wanted to create my own one. When I was browsing through that Google Document, I discovered that it's pretty old and it wasn't updated for a very long time. Do you plan to update it or is there any way to translate the stuff that's not in there? :-)

What's more annoying? People calling you "Ralph", or people asking you to implement a tameable wolf?

For my less tongue-in-cheek question(s): What are your thoughts on the "loot tables" people like (the excellent) Atheenon have curated over the years? Would you ever randomise some of these elements to provide more of a challenge and/or mystery (and dare I say a bit of a "screw you, smartasses!") to the more seasoned players that know exactly where X is going to be because they found item Y in location Z? I guess the same goes for things like guaranteed match spawns etc, for example the ones that are ALWAYS on a shelf in the basement of the Farmstead - would you ever remove those?

• Upvote 1

Could you describe the motivations for changing the HUD recently?  While the old HUD was more intuitive (your hunger is represented by an emptying stomach; thermometer drops as you get colder) the new HUD is more explicit (here is a status bar near a stomach icon; its length indicates how hungry you are).  The former was more approximate (is the stomach 1/4 full? or 1/3 full, I can't tell), and the latter is more specific (stomach circle is at 9 o'clock, so 1/4 full).  The former was also idiosyncratically TLD, while the latter hues to common video game UI tropes (e.g. RDR2).

I'll admit, originally I felt you moved my cheese!  But I gave it a chance, and over the last month I've come to be neutral to the change -- though I still think the old HUD was a better way of presenting this information and aesthetically a better choice for TLD.  Did the HL team feel the old HUD was confusing?

BTW: thank you for keeping the 'contextual' option.

• Upvote 1

Hello all! I play this game on PS4 and it has become basically the only game I play anymore. The crashing every hour or so is a bummer but I’ve become ok with it “for the most part” and just had to figure work arounds such as making sure I do actions to save the game regularly. For whatever reason now the crashing is out of control and I am stuck in the cave from PV to winding river and unable to leave either side as the game will freeze... my question is what are the odds that you will be able to fix the crashing issue on the PS4 or do I just have to shelf the game and move on?

15 minutes ago, TheDrocker said:

Hello all! I play this game on PS4 and it has become basically the only game I play anymore. The crashing every hour or so is a bummer but I’ve become ok with it “for the most part” and just had to figure work arounds such as making sure I do actions to save the game regularly. For whatever reason now the crashing is out of control and I am stuck in the cave from PV to winding river and unable to leave either side as the game will freeze... my question is what are the odds that you will be able to fix the crashing issue on the PS4 or do I just have to shelf the game and move on?

You should go cast an eye on the pinned posts in the tech forum for the recommended steps to start sorting your system out.

In another Milton Mailbag thread you mentioned that players were originally supposed to be able to give Jeremiah morphine to get more information out of him, at the cost of making him addicted, but then the idea was scrapped to avoid age restrictions. How much more of your original plans for episode one and two did you have to abandon? The story mode teaser from 2015 shows Will (seemingly) attacking two people with a hatchet to defend someone they were beating up (judging by the place where this is happening, and the situation, it looks like this may have been the original plan for the "Lake Gunshots" mission). I guess this might have been scrapped for the same reason as the morphine. Overall I'm getting the impression that the original vision for story mode was darker, but perhaps more interesting.

• Upvote 3

Maybe you've overlooked my question last time, so i try again:

Can you please fix the animation of the lamp, so when turning the lamp on it doesn't move upwards anymore? Like it was before the animation? Some changes might bother a player, but afterr a while he gets used to it, but this still bothers me.

Second: I'm not sure anymore if it's always, but with the redux update the progressing cycle now turns counter-clockwise (at least for some actions). Can you change it back to "normal" again please?

• Upvote 2

On 1/23/2019 at 2:17 PM, NardoLoopa said:

Could you describe the motivations for changing the HUD recently?  While the old HUD was more intuitive (your hunger is represented by an emptying stomach; thermometer drops as you get colder) the new HUD is more explicit (here is a status bar near a stomach icon; its length indicates how hungry you are).  The former was more approximate (is the stomach 1/4 full? or 1/3 full, I can't tell), and the latter is more specific (stomach circle is at 9 o'clock, so 1/4 full).  The former was also idiosyncratically TLD, while the latter hues to common video game UI tropes (e.g. RDR2).

I'll admit, originally I felt you moved my cheese!  But I gave it a chance, and over the last month I've come to be neutral to the change -- though I still think the old HUD was a better way of presenting this information and aesthetically a better choice for TLD.  Did the HL team feel the old HUD was confusing?

BTW: thank you for keeping the 'contextual' option.

I feel the same, and this is exactly what I wanted to ask as well. 

Cheers, Rick

When TLD is finished ... is there a chance that new regions might still be added via paid addons and/or mods?

Edited to add: I strongly dislike mods for TLD. Though I have no problem with modding games in general, I feel that TLD is best in its original version. The only thing that might change my mind would be ... new regions ;) But I would even prefer to pay, since I know that it is so worth it.

Edited by melcantspell

This may be rather far out, but has there been any thought to a tutorial using a similar model as challenges?

It would be an existing sub-region like Crystal Lake  on Timberwolf or the lake in Mystery Lake, and the player would go through a Survival School squared experience. The tutorial would be reasonably comprehensive and rather restricting. This is not intended to be a free-exploration area but a training ground. 

The in-game journal/diary that the player can use (or not).

1.  Are there any size limitations either for a given entry or for the journal as a whole?

2.  Any intention to modify the UI so that the latest entry can be accessed without having to scroll through the entire journal from the beginning? This might be as minimal as introducing one, two or more locations where the latest day and one or two or more preceeding days could be accessed and reviewed or edited.

3.  Any intention to allow for the journal to be exported to a text file so the player can keep a personal record of what was written during the sandbox run? An extension of this would be to also export the particular sandbox stats as well. 

Edited by UTC-10
A few more words.