admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

566 posts in this topic

In both survival mode and Wintermute there appears to be evidence of past earthquakes. Lest me explain. In Wintermute there is the rockslide west or north west of the bridge (up that road, near the path from the cave), the collapsed tunnel in Milton. In survival mode there appears to be rockslide blockades on Coastal Highway and the broken bridge in Broken Railroad. There are also other places where a street pole or power line is knocked down. The dam maintenance building in Mystery Lake is in rough shape. This all looks like evidence of earthquakes. Will we find out that earthquakes are apart of (or contributed to) the quite apocalypse? Will earthquakes become a part of the story in episode 3 or 4 and/or a danger or challenge in the game? 
Interestingly, that earthquake that I experienced here in Alaska on Nov 30th made me think of this because after that, I just had earthquakes on my mind with everything. It even made me remember a game that I used to play when I was 13. It was called Disaster Report. It was a fun game.

Edited by XAlaskan_420X

Back in 2011, there was a game that came out for various consoles called Cabela's Survival: Shadows of Katmai. Although it's too early to tell yet, the storylines for The Long Dark and this game are oddly familiar. A female doctor hires out a bush pilot to fly them to a remote community to cure an unknown disease, and the plane crashes in the wilderness, and the pilot and the doctor get separated. I suppose the major difference between TLD and that game is that the latter didn't have a particularly fantastic story or great gameplay. But seeing as how they are extremely familiar, at least as of now, I was wondering if you were at all involved with Shadows of Katmai, or if this is purely coincidental? 

Any plan to add the ability to craft a sling and use it as both a hunting tool (for rabbits) and a weapon (against wolves)?

Edited by DaveO

Dear Raphael!

You have your own approach to graphics with the beautiful "watercolor painting" look mentioned several times. Since I got the game there has been several wonderful additions, such as mesmerizing aurora, new beautiful waterfalls, improved looks on inventory items, a grand Moose etc. My question is, without making promises, what are you plans and wishes for the next additions to the art and beauty of the game? 

Another, completely different question:

Along the railroad from Coastal Highway via Mystery lake, ending in Broken Railroad, there are lots and lots of derailments, train cars etc and a single Locomotive in BR. Since there is only one railroad, it must surely be impossible for another train to come by once there are derailments blocking the way... So, did all these derailments happen to one single train, during a single line of events...?! What must it have been like for the poor brave people driving that train...? 

Will Redux bring more of usefull and handy items to increase variety in survival? New food (especially different in decay time), new items of daily use, etc?

Edited by Moll

In one of the Dev Diaries it said that the new update will be available sometime in December. We are almost half way through December now. Any news on when it might come this month?

• Like 1

Can you tell us what locations in Mystery Lake / Milton / Broken Railroads needs to be evacuated before December patch so we dont lose any stored items inside buildings in sandbox mode?

It would be great to know which items are not safe - lying free on floor / table or stored in containers.

Can't wait to be wearing my warm bunny hat this upcoming week. I recently just watched the movie Alpha. (Definitely check it out if you haven't already) You may have been previously asked this, but what do you think of the ability of taming a wolf to be your companion? It would take a long time and process of gaining trust but would definitely be worth the risk. Not to mention not feeling nearly as lonely with your wild furry feral lil buddy! Thank you Hinterland Studios for working extra hard to get this update out to us before the holidays. Merry Christmas and stay warm.

Edited by JeremiahJohnson
  • Upvote 1

Hello, Mr. van Lierop,

I was curious if the Hinterland considers adding animals, specific to certain regions - for an example, an animal which would spawn exclusively in mountainous regions like Timberwolf Mountain or Hushed River Valley. I think it would improve upon the game tremendously - forcing players to travel to these parts in order to hunt specific animal they need, not to mention the immersion it would bring.

On a side note - thank You all for your hard work - not only on this amazing game, but also on all your contributions to the indie gaming industry as whole. Your team achievements are an inspiration.

• Upvote 8

Prior to Interloper being released, there were discussions about a possible mode somewhere between Pilgrim and Voyager due to a bug at that point that sometimes caused a wolf to attack on Pilgrim. In all honesty, I wish that bug had never been fixed, even though I reported it happening to me. Once my initial shock wore off, I decided it was awesome! I continued playing that same game until the next update just because once that bug appeared, it seemed to stick around. Playing on Pilgrim, but with an occasional wolf that attacked was far better than playing on other levels where they were guaranteed to attack.

My question is whether or not such a mode would be a) possible as far as game mechanics, and b) considered at some point in the future?

• Upvote 2

Really excited for the update this week. I'm sure there will be some surprises. I'm wondering about new regions. Will there ever be a region that may be a bit more snowless? I mean, still frozen and everything but maybe there's a low valley on the leeward side of Great Bear Island that doesn't receive so much precipitation. There probably wouldn't be much advantage or special purpose to having such a place, but a slightly greater variety of terrain/landscape/atmosphere could be pretty cool and I'd love to see what your artists could do without so much snow everywhere.

• Upvote 1

In Episode 3, 4 , 5 of Wintermute, will we find lore notes, or see any type of flashbacks/cutscenes that will show us more about Will and Astrid's past, together or apart? I always wonder what their relationship was before, how good or bad was it, what happened that was referred to in the original Episode 1 opening scenes? What was life like on the Mainland, that kept them together, or drove them apart? I want to know about their past, and how it affected how and why they find themselves on Great Bear in Wintermute. Really interested if you will be introducing any new forms of lore-finding or interesting ways to learn the history of the characters, Great Bear Island, Mainland Canada, or the World the game takes place in. Mental Health System(?)... Will and/or Astrid go a little off-track and have hallucinations or lucid dreams about the past? I know the story will move forward... but the past interests me immensely.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1