admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

566 posts in this topic

@Raphael van Lierop  just a quick question... will their be new trophies / achievements associated with redux epsiodes 1 and 2...and further to that...future episodes 3,4 and 5

• Upvote 1

Will and Jeremiah seem to talk about morphine a lot, and given that morphine never actually plays a role in the game at all, leads me to believe there is some subtext there.  Was that intended to serve as a sort of anti-drug PSA?  I mean for all the things they could be talking about, such as the risk of infection, possibly Jeremiah's injuries needing stitches, broken bones, etc. there seemed to be a disproportionately large amount of dialogue around morphine's addictive properties, and the euphoric side effects.  I'm just wondering if you can provide context or backstory for that.

• Like 4

With the implementation of Wwise audio system, how has the audio design changed from both a technical and gameplay perspective?  I know this might be more technical but I was always curious since it was implemented some time after the games initial release.

• Upvote 1

Question 1

In the first Buffer Memory in Quonset Gas Station Barbara says: "More and more ships passing, heading south. what will they find on the Mainlan, I wonder." In Desolation Point we can clearly see a mountain range looking south. Is that the Mainland or another islands?

Question 2

We know that Great Bear is a fictional island, but, if it were real, where on the canadian coast would it be located?

• Upvote 1

1) How many new regions are currently being developed?

2) Previously, between the main regions, you added a small transition, but then for some reason you stopped adding them to the game, limited directly to the transition from one main region to another.

Question: will you still add small transition regions to the game?

Edited by Faithful Cartographer

My questions

Is there a novella, shortstory or book that inspired the story in the long dark? 

Is there something i can read, watch or listen to, to learn more about the long dark universe?

Did you tick every romantic era-box on purpose, even the music?

Holy duck, you guys created a really beautiful piece of art. I did not notice it the first couple hours because i died so many times. It's amazing. Maybe you know the feeling when you look at a painting and want to know what else is in there or behind the horizon. Now i can just waddle around in the painting. It's so ducking awesome! Thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

With the new cooking system will there be some updates to time management in the future to utilize it more effectively? Reading could use smaller time increments and forging doesn't have any increments at all.

23 hours ago, Faithful Cartographer said:

Previously, between the main regions, you added a small transition, but then for some reason you stopped adding them to the game, limited directly to the transition from one main region to another.

Milton has two transition areas. They are just incorporated into the main map

Edited by Serenity

I’m really happy to see a soundtrack release on another platform but my question is if the soundtrack will release on any other platforms? One platform isn’r Ideal for everyone. Thank you though. 

In the last dispatch I suggested a backer-style dlc and you answered my question nicely. Here's another suggestion:

Start a kickstarter funding for a new dlc or a map. If it reaches its goal, make it free for everyone so those who want to donate you could achieve their goals by earning a couple of cairns or backer-created notes in that map or dlc, and those who do not have the opportunity (or don't want) to donate could grab the free stuff. there is a win-win-win solution here.

another quick question: (I don't know if it was proposed before) there are a lot of unclaimed cairns by the backers. Do you have any plans to sell them to other people who would want to adopt them?

Edited by yollarbenibekler
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I've already finished the first two episodes, but was thinking of going back to episode one to get a couple of Steam achievements – if I start a new game (and don't finish), will the new save trump the old one so that I'll have to start all over again when the Redux is released?

Thanks for answering so many questions, even the rude and hostile ones.

Are you planning to make cabin fever terrifying?

Because now it's just annoying weird thing that everyone hates. Maybe u could add some creepy noises and music to this illness.

• Upvote 1

Question - Animal Migration.

Hello HL / Ralph.

I was wondering about an animal migration mechanic - i know this has been brought up in other areas of the forum but wasn't sure if it had been directly addressed by the dev team. I have no idea of the complexities of game design so this idea may be out of touch,

Would it be possible to have a rolling animal number mechanic, whereby the total "herd" size of a particular game animal (in this case only deer ATM) grows at a generally even rate within a region, peaking for a time (say a game month) before slowly decreasing over time, while at the same time the "herd" size in a neighboring region increases at roughly the same rate as the emptying region, thus giving the illusion of a herd "moving on" . Perhaps this mechanic could be supported by hunting pressure, leading to a further moving on of the herd. And perhaps dedicated wolf packs could pursue the herds around GBI?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Okay Raph.

Admit it.

The reason you gave us fuel doors that open on vehicles, and some car batteries that can be removed, is so we can rig up and fill the tank of...

flamethrower-thing_1200_509_81_s.thumb.JPG.319cc22f9ba0cbb380b336adb4fb5a1f.JPG

... so we can kill whatever lives in the new region yet to come in Wintermute?

And if not... why??? ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Is there a plan to update all the textures and graphics of the game I mean you've gone a long way graphics wise from the beginning but the long dark with new gen graphics would be my dream game. And I do understand this might interfere with the artistic style you have chosen for the long dark but it would still be cool to see. Also on the road to story mode video, you guys made a while back I love the new color grading and extra detail you put into the houses. And also Ralph you remember Mirrors Edge: Catalyst from back in 2016 right. It was a gorgeous game with top-notch graphics and gameplay yet everybody hated it do you have an opinion on that. PS: If you don't want to answer the last question you don't want to.;)

Edited by Tri13

I know you guys are focused on current issues and future content, but have you ever considered releasing prior versions of the game?  Looking through some of your older YouTube videos gave me a great sense of nostalgia.

• Upvote 1

when the new update will release?
Also, is there any plan to translate the game into the Arabic language, I know that the Arab community is small, but I hope there will be an Arabic translation it will be nice.

What's the thing you're most excited about in the Redux? The biggest improvement as you see it?

It appears from your early dev diaries (circa 2014) and TLD prototype videos, that you originally intended to have other NPCs in the game.  Yes, there are those in Wintermute, but did you ever intend to have them in Survival Mode as well?  If so, why did you make the decision to not include them?

Will The game ever be Ported to Nintendo Switch as well ? ... Would love to play the long dark on the go !!!