Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

Hi Raph, I really love this game, congratulations for you and your team. I have two questions:

1 - If the Carter Dam has been disable for decades, from where electricity comes when the Aurora appears in the sky? Does the Great Bear Island have any other source of energy?

2 - The crashed plane hit the Timberwolf Moutain due to some problem during the flight or would it land on the island and ended up hitting the mountain? The plane had an electric pane during the First Flare like Mackenzie's plane or this accident happened at another time? If yes, was it before or after the Mackenzie accident?

• Upvote 1

Hey Raph! I have a few questions.

1. Estimated time of release on next sandbox update? Or are you focused on delivering Episode 3 first?

2. Will NPCs ever make an introduction in Sandbox mode? If so, how would they behave? Hostile? Friendly? Neutral? Like... Would we see human patrols who would shoot you on sight and perhaps predators attacking them. Open-area shootout would attract deadly predators but I dont think this sounds good idea for this type game.

3. Will there ever be wildlife fights? Like.. a pack of wolves attacking a bear or even the moose. I remember this was in the roadmap but I was just wondering if this is still being considered.

4. Have you ever thought implementing a region inspired from... The Thing? :) - Or even a region based in something more city-like. Obviously this sounds quite a lot resource and time consuming.

5. Will the vehicles ever be more.. useful during Aurora? I have seen in some trailers as well as wallpapers that:

- There was a bridge area where it was filled with more than 20 vehicles something which apparently will not happen or it was for future region.

- All vehicles would flash their car lights and sort of stuff but none of these happen in-game.

I would really love Aurora be something useful. Make fridges usable, ovens usable, radiators usable and so on.

That's all, thanks!

What is the next element of survival mode you'd be looking at adding, upgrading or changing? 

My personal wish list would look something like this, 

Bushcraft update, fishing overhaul, hunting and skinning upgrade, repair /sharpening /cleaning mini games  but also able to auto skip, more clothes, more animals etc. 

But literally anything you do is totally fine. 

Kind regards 

John 

• Upvote 1

• Как вы построили ГЭС?  У вас была на примете какая-то станция и вы её вставили в игру или вы сами её придумали? Эх... Помню время, когда она была маленькой и пустой. Когда на ней жил волк. Флаффи, если не ошибаюсь.

1.  Do you have any plans to add craft able headgear/hat?  It could be made of Racoon, Bagger or another new animal.

2.  Are there any plans to add additional Challenges to the game?  AND expand each existing Challenge to include a featured Leaderboard tracking a few (3-6) key things specific to each challenge?  

3.  Are there any plans to add permanent health/"Condition" reduction to your character for each and every serious event the player experiences?  So that you would not be back to a full 100% by taking a aspirin and a nap after a Wolf shreds open your arm.   Say reducing your maximum obtainable condition by 0/1/2/3%  per "event" based on the 4 difficulty settings.

Not a question but a bit a feedback of 4DoN.  As a returning player I loved it,  the Badges of participation are perfect.  Limited time Event badges should not be difficult, please save extreme difficulty to always available, repeatable Challenges (with leaderboards).   I know seasoned players wanted all the buildings burned down, their clothes set afire, temperatures to reach -80C, etc.  but making 4DoN too difficult causes players to be excessively careful.  That's why a leaderboards for Events and Challenges are the way to go.  So for 4DoN you could have Pies found, Wolves killed, time outdoors, etc... Leaderboards are perfect for hardcore fans (no one can ever top them as a specific Event is limited time) but everyone could still get the base badges if they participate and play.  Its a Win/Win for all levels of play.  For many players playing a full real-time 2 hours for 4 days in a row is an accomplishment against real life constraints.

Keep up the great work.

Edited by Strategizer
  • Like 1

Regarding the names you chose for regions and buildings, etc.:  How did you decide on those names?  Some are pretty self-explanatory (Broken RR, Ravine) but others are more...unique (Forlorn Muskeg, Quonset Garage, etc.).  Are those based upon real locations, perhaps from a favorite book or just made up?

When originally envisioned, did you think of the game as being naturally terminal?  That is, eventually even the most skilled players would exhaust the resources of Bear Island to the point where perpetual existence is unlikely.  There are several things that point to this beautiful fatalism: cloth, metal, maple and birch are not renewable.  I personally, find this a poetically satisfying part of the game, though I assume I'm in the minority.  It's one aspect of the game that makes it stand out: the inevitability of death -- only something that can be deferred, never truly conquered (much like how you never really become invulnerable to any of the dangers of the game).

If so, what was your team's opinion on how many days the most skilled survivor could have possibly lived? (maybe around v1.0)  What report of survival (in Days), first surprised the team?

Has the vision changed as the game seeks a wider audience?  Many of the suggestion in this forum, about where the game should go, would undermine an inevitable demise.  E.g. Just adding a craftable hat is a brick from that wall.

• Upvote 1

During 4DON people were speculating about what Day 4's "Fire" challenge might mean, with many players on the forum apparently moving their gear stashes outdoors or into caves in case the buildings were all burned down!

Do you think it would ever be possible (technologically) to have buildings or other structures catch fire or be destroyed or damaged during the course of a single game (by fire, or perhaps severe weather)? Do you think this would be a desirable gameplay feature?

Edited by Pillock
  • Upvote 2

1.) Are there any plants to update the animal pathing a bit? Deer often get stuck on fallen trees or in corners. And when shot animals sometimes take weird routes up steep hills that make them impossible to track. Though I realize that that's difficult to fix

2.) Why do bear noses glow in the dark?

Hi there !

Do you have any plans for accessories linked to footwear? I can think of snowshoes for easier movement in deep snow, or crampons to help with icy and rocky area with bigger vertical differences. I can also have some things in mind like upgrading your shoes water proofness temporarily. Maybe there is a recipe for that can be prepared from ingredients by Mother Nature.

Also thought about repairing clothes. What I like about the game is that you can make so much clothes from hides of different animals. What happens, after you run out of sewing kits - I mean ALL, that can be found - and you want to repair your clothes? Are there any ideas about repairing clothes with an "all-natural" sewing kit - nails from bones, etc.

Since this game came to be, from the day it was conceived in your mind, through Kickstarter, through Early Access and Game Preview, through going gold, up to today...

A great number of things have gone right, and a few have gone wrong. Such is life for everyone and everything. And we all look back and wish we had done a thing or things differently.  Hindsight is NOT always 20/20, but it tends to sharpen our view of what may have made things easier or more difficult. Looking back, what ONE thing do you wish you had done differently, and what do you think the results of that different choice would have been? I know, choosing one single thing is difficult, and pays no attention to how things are intertwined in the life and growth of a creative process and product. But you don't have time to write a novella for an answer, so one thing only, the "If I had only..." thought that flicks the back of your brain the most often. 

(And maybe let a dev hopeful, just starting out, know that he or she isn't alone, that the "Big Dogs" have those doubts or thoughts too...)

I watched the retail release trailer again, and something in it struck me as a possible subtle nod to a common situation I've seen many people find themselves in and wondering if there is any confirmation to this.

In the trailer, towards the end, there is a quick clip of a bear rushing the player with a flare gun and you hear a distinctive *click* indicating that the flare gun wasn't loaded.  I know I've seen numerous posts here and elsewhere where people attempt to use the flare gun only to realize they forgot to reload it.  Obviously it's user error and often results in a humorous anecdotes of people doing the same.  Just curious if that was a sort of nod to this.

I wanted to ask the same question that @StrangerFromTheInternetasked already. I have only just found out the lack of a store page (and my abfab review) on Gog.com and this is what the support person said:

Hello,
The Long Dark was removed from our catalogue on November 7th and you are no longer able to purchase it.
Those who already own the games will of course still be able to access them through their library. All owners will also have access to updates even after the game’s removal.
My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

So, I second that question.

Hi Rafael! You're the best game developer I've ever met! =) Hello from Russia! I have two questions for you:

1. In what about half of December will the update be released? First or second?

2. You wrote in the developer diary that a new challenge will be added to the game. There's a chance it'll be a The Hunted, Part Three?

Edited by Faithful Cartographer

3 hours ago, Sipriano said:

How many people did you ban from the forums per month? :coffee:

We have forum rules which we expect people to follow. Please read them. 

If people have an issue following them we try to work with them on learning how to adhere to the guidelines. If they do not wish to or find that they can not then they are removed from the forums. 

I hope that answers your question. 

• Upvote 1

Would you ever consider buildable outdoor storage boxes? Even it its as simple as  being able "move" an already existing container.  What I really am looking for is outdoor storage that I can build/move near to my prefered firepits.  That way I can store meat without leaving it strewn around the ground, chocolate, and (even more imporantly) neatly store my sticks/tinder/books etc.  Perhaps as a mechanic you could make it similar to a snowshelter in placement and utilize a small amount of cloth and a larger amount of recycled wood.  or wood logs.  

Question about Wintermute: 

I noticed that the rifle you find in chapter 2 has its own unique appearance when you find it, and while in your inventory, but when you hold it in your hands, and in the cut scenes it looks just like any ordinary rifle. Do you plan on changing that in the re-dux?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, admin said:

We have forum rules which we expect people to follow. Please read them. 

If people have an issue following them we try to work with them on learning how to adhere to the guidelines. If they do not wish to or find that they can not then they are removed from the forums. 

I hope that answers your question

No exactly but is ok, actually that rules make me want to make the question