What to do with deer hide?

amorphea

What do you guys do with your deer hides? I'm at the moment on day 30 something of stalker and living in trappers cabin and i have like 10 something cured deer hides and absolutely no idea what to do with them.  I have nice cargo pants and have a bunch of jeans in reserve I also have mukluks wich i treasure so no need for deer pants or boots (tough i did make boots for the wrapped in furs achievement). So what to do with my cured deerskin any ideas?

If you're looking for something creative, try wallpapering the house with them.  Wait until they get to 99% cured, then pick them up with RMB and position them somewhere creative.  Then take your hands off the controls and wait for the hide to fully cure to 100%.  When it does, the hide will stick in place, even if it's in a location you normally can't position a hide to, like on a wall or ceiling.

Personally, I just stop harvesting hide and gut after I have maybe 20 saved up.  It's just not worth the extra harvesting time to acquire something I already have too much of, and can easily acquire more of at any time.

14 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Not sure about you guys, but I have a very hard time not harvesting everything.  I'm on day 700 and have WAY more skins than I could ever use, but harvest I continue to do...

LOL, I'm the same way.  I can't pass things up.  Even sticks.  I could be carrying 100 sticks, be overburdened to the point of barely moving, and have to force myself to not pick up another stick.  Everything must be harvested!  Then I decide to go somewhere that I have to climb a rope and it takes me forever to figure out what to leave behind.  I'm a Long Dark hoarder.

On my current run, I'm trying to keep my load lighter and only carry what I really need.  It's been almost painful to pass up mushrooms, rose hips, sticks, and other things that I really don't need but would usually take anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2018 at 8:05 AM, MrWolf said:

LOL, I'm the same way.  I can't pass things up.  Even sticks.  I could be carrying 100 sticks, be overburdened to the point of barely moving, and have to force myself to not pick up another stick.  Everything must be harvested!  Then I decide to go somewhere that I have to climb a rope and it takes me forever to figure out what to leave behind.  I'm a Long Dark hoarder.

On my current run, I'm trying to keep my load lighter and only carry what I really need.  It's been almost painful to pass up mushrooms, rose hips, sticks, and other things that I really don't need but would usually take anyway.

I am also afflicted with this compulsion. Not so much with sticks, but with everything other than sticks and rocks.

On 17/08/2018 at 1:10 AM, peteloud said:

I wish we could convert deer and wolf hides into more useful items or turn them in to pieces of cured leather for repairs. (reducing the number of bits of cured leather found to maintain same level of difficulty).

1) Be able to convert deer hides into wolf hides, and vice versa,
2) Convert cured gut into fresh gut,
3) Stitch wolf and deer hides together, and then stuff them with guts!
4) Wait for the Aurora, and then shine the flashlight on the mess to craft a friendly bear to fight by your side! 
5) Profit!

Oh... wait.. that would be for the Minecraft version of TLD.

Archived