Thermoses for Carrying Hot Beverages

TrapperOfML

So the title pretty much says it. I think that maybe a new rare item should be added, that being a thermose bottle for keeping hot beverages such as tea, coffee, and maybe even tomato soup warmer just a little while longer. And maybe add in some chicken noodle soup.

This would actually be a great thing to implement! Hot food/drinks are important for those cold days, and being able to keep something hot on hand without needing to start a fire to heat it up would save lots of time. Great idea, my guy

• 2 weeks later...

Yes please. I know from experience that my old thermos could keep things hot for an insane amount of time. I once filled it with coffee in winter, and left it in the car over a weekend, after having taken it to work and forgetting I had brought it. The coffee was still hot. Not overly steaming, but still hot enough to have to drink slowly without pain. Another time I didn't drink the coffee, and it got set on the counter for like two weeks. Coffee was still mildly warm. Notably warmer than the ambient air. And that was without priming the thermos. A primed thermos will keep liquid hot even longer. On thing about this that could make it absolutely amazing is if you could find different sizes. A big flask would be quite heavy, but keep a large amount of liquid/food warm, where a smaller one would be lighter and more fitting for cups of tea.

Love it.

Make it decay and repairable similar to cooking pots/can opener.

Also light enough that it is worthwhile. I'd say .44 or less. (not counting the weight of the fluid) All heatable canned foods and beverages should be storable in it.

One thing I love about this, is that it makes rose hips/reishi tea even more useful. I've always thought that the lichen bandage had increased practicality over the other two in that no fire was ever needed to make it, this helps bridge that gap as well a bit. 

Guest Gamer935
On 13/08/2018 at 9:45 PM, TrapperOfML said:

So the title pretty much says it. I think that maybe a new rare item should be added, that being a thermose bottle for keeping hot beverages such as tea, coffee, and maybe even tomato soup warmer just a little while longer. And maybe add in some chicken noodle soup.

Amazing idea as there is thermoses all over the place and sometimes I forget that I have made of cup of tea or coffee and then it is cold when i remember so it would help me alot 

On 8/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, Mistake said:

This would actually be a great thing to implement! Hot food/drinks are important for those cold days, and being able to keep something hot on hand without needing to start a fire to heat it up would save lots of time. Great idea, my guy

The purists would also hate it - after all, in every game mode, items that can make warming drinks are finite.  It's pretty crazy that the geomagnetic storm made it so that only hot water with organics dissolved in it can heat up the body of the drinker, but Hinterland knows best.

I look through a lot of old threads, though I don't think a person should decide not to suggest an idea they have even if they find out it's been said before. In fact, quite the opposite. If many people come up with the same idea and suggest it again and again it suggests that the idea is more popular/desired than others. Kind of like a vote almost. If I were a dev, I'd consider this as an aspect in determining priority; one of many, but an aspect nevertheless.

On 2018-09-10 at 4:33 PM, Soul Sojourner said:

I look through a lot of old threads, though I don't think a person should decide not to suggest an idea they have even if they find out it's been said before. In fact, quite the opposite. If many people come up with the same idea and suggest it again and again it suggests that the idea is more popular/desired than others. Kind of like a vote almost. If I were a dev, I'd consider this as an aspect in determining priority; one of many, but an aspect nevertheless.

That's maybe what the upvotes are for? 

hmmmm?

13 hours ago, BareSkin said:

If robots were reading at the forums, yes it would work this way.

But humans have a tendency to have a brain well made, that forget things. That's why repetition is our main way to learn things

But it has openly been acknowledged in the mailbag - and this is not much to read actually. At this point it can even be considered in development. It would be more beneficial to have any futher discussion about implementation than the suggestion itself .. just saying ...

3 hours ago, Dawnshift said:

But it has openly been acknowledged in the mailbag - and this is not much to read actually. At this point it can even be considered in development. It would be more beneficial to have any futher discussion about implementation than the suggestion itself .. just saying ...

I think there's some kind of consensus on it: Thermos is rare, it's a container in your backpack that increases strongly the time a beverage takes to change it's state from "hot" to "cold". I guess for coding purposes it's easier if we're able to pour only one drink in it (1 tea or 1 peaches for example), so that's there's no temperature management. It would just make it possible to carry a hot beverage far away, or from evening cooking fire to morning pre-exploration warmup.

I feel like this was probably part of the roadmap all along, but since we're still in the era of "implied containers", they may not want to go there-- and, in fact, they may just not go there, because it deepens play mechanics beyond a point which is useful.

HOWEVER, I do have to agree that it's a little odd that you get a "warm inside" bonus from certain liquids (fresh tea, coffee) but not others (just-boiled water, or just-cooked meats).

Archived