Base Resource - Custom Difficulty

Nogen

Hi everybody!

I am thinking about doing a new game and I got a question about one of the setting. More specifically, "Base Resource". If I set it at "Low", do that mean there won't be any knife and hatchet, just like Interloper?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 6:52 AM, sierra 117 said:

Yeah this will put you on interloper level loot tables.

Putting the "Base Resource" at low does not get rid of knives and hatchets, they are just very rare. I've put "Base Resource" on low, and I've found a knife and hatchet. 

So technically the game isn't on Interloper loot tables, but it is very close! 

13 hours ago, Smellyfries said:

Putting the "Base Resource" at low does not get rid of knives and hatchets, they are just very rare. I've put "Base Resource" on low, and I've found a knife and hatchet. 

So technically the game isn't on Interloper loot tables, but it is very close! 

Oh really I've never found one on these settings. Currently doing an interloper without cabin fever and rifles enabled. I also have passive wildlife on afyer many stalker and interloper runs I actually find hunting more of a challenge when dinner doesn't come to you,lol

Anyway in my current run I have looted all maps except HRV and I have not found a single knife/hatchet.

Oh actually I will check later but I think they added a new setting for turning knifes and hatchet off independently  from base resource level.

However I may be wrong.

On 9/12/2018 at 4:57 AM, sierra 117 said:

I think they added a new setting for turning knifes and hatchet off independently  from base resource level.

I don't think they have. Unless that setting is disguised behind an obscure name that doesn't mention knives and hatchets.

If you get rid of the rifle, you get interloper loot tables. I tested it with that new mod that lets you add as many prepper cashes as you want to a custom run. I turned off rifles and went to the hunter cache. No rifle, no knife. Also no hatchet in the wood cache. So it's all or none.

Sad thing is, the level of available loot doesn't affect the caches. Low or high, the amount of loot is the same. So my dream of adding all the caches to a interloper game, but removing the loot will have to wait.

Still, I think the next game I play for fun is going to be a dead man challenge with a SLIGHT amount of healing from sleeping, not include guns, and 1 preper cache for ML and PV. Maybe 2. When you crank up thirst to very high, you can only sleep 6 hours at a time. It's brutal. Or maybe a stalker run with all the caches, so I can truely restock the Quonset garage once and for all. Huh. I wonder what that would look like Everything on maximum loot. I wonder how much you could stock the quonset with?

58 minutes ago, TheEldritchGod said:

If you get rid of the rifle, you get interloper loot tables. I tested it with that new mod that lets you add as many prepper cashes as you want to a custom run. I turned off rifles and went to the hunter cache. No rifle, no knife. Also no hatchet in the wood cache. So it's all or none.

I'm not entirely sure that's true. I remember recently starting a game with Medium 'Base Loot', but rifles disabled (by mistake - I have them enabled normally. I didn't find out until after I died, and double-checked the settings). I did find hatchets and knives, just not many. I had the rest of the loot variables on their minimums ('Reduce Container Item Density' needs to be on High to get lower loot amounts, I believe).

I've always been under the impression that it's the 'Base Loot' setting that determines whether you get hatchets and knives or not: Medium or higher and you do; Low and you don't.

Anyway, I just found a prepper's cache with Medium Base Loot, rifles on and all other loot settings on minimum. That doesn't disprove what you say, but I would be wary of trusting a test that's done using a mod, in case that affects anything else unexpectedly.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, bighara said:

I'd be curious if there was any more hard info on this topic. I'd like to try a run with knives and hatchets (even if rare), but no rifle. 

If you set Base Loot to Medium or below, you'll get knives and hatchets; if you set it Low, you won't.

The rifles are a different on/off setting and can be set independently of any other loot amount variables.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:55 PM, Pillock said:

If you set Base Loot to Medium or below, you'll get knives and hatchets; if you set it Low, you won't.

The rifles are a different on/off setting and can be set independently of any other loot amount variables.

I believe this to be the most accurate statement here.

I was told that setting the base resource to low causes Interloper loot meaning no knives, hatchets, good clothes, and no good food like MREs, etc.

However rifles can still be turned on at this point and still have rifles and bullets.

I REALLY wish they would change this though, and let us put base loot to low to get really low amounts of loot LIKE Interloper, but still include ALL items. They would just be very rare.

I wish actual "Interloper mode" was it's own separate toggle like rifles....and when turned on it removed all the things normally not present in Interloper....

I have found a way to get what you want. Set Base Resources to any of medium, high, or absurd ;) and then set empty container chance to high and reduce container item density to high. As you move between medium, high, and very high base resource you get more containers appearing in the game... but with empty container chance set to high and reduce container item density to high you end up with a situation where I'd guesstimate that less than one in twenty containers has anything in it, and when you do find a container with something in it it almost always only have one item, rarely two, and having run through several custom runs with these settings I've only found containers with three items two or three times.

In fact, to help offset that I've set the loose item chance to high. Without this I was finding myself running around after twenty days of looting with jeans, long johns, trail boots, fleece mittens, a dress shirt plus a thin sweater, a simple parka, and a cotton toque, and as the temperature cooled I was finding myself starting to take damage after only a few minutes of play outdoors (probably representing maybe half an hour in game). In my custom settings I also max out wolf struggle damage and with that kind of gear I was taking ~90% condition loss from a wolf struggle with multiple injuries requiring bandages... with all of this it's still possible to find some really great loot.. BUT... it's extremely hard to find and one must be very very careful esp. if you're riding dirty (i.e. carrying meat, hides or guts) because with animal awareness and smell power set to max you can pull wolves from a LONG way away.

Given my experience (I've spent the better part of the last couple of months experimenting with these settings) I think I pretty much have it nailed down to be pretty good. I'm figuring on streaming a game with my custom set up on twitch, probably starting sometime in December. This isn't intended to be an insane difficulty scenario a la deadman so much as an intersection of interloper and voyageur with an emphasis on making hunting and surviving as challenging as possible over the long haul. My current plan of attack for the stream is to start it with me setting the game up and doing commentary while I put the settings in place... and then firing it up. On my current run with these settings I'm closing in on day 50, and while I'm doing all right with the natural clothing my shirt and underwear situation is still quite parlous, which makes the days with -60 with windchill still very challenging to be out for more than about an hour of game time at a time; I can't even chop up one cedar or fir limb without taking damage from the cold. I'm on bow three, but even hunting deer is still rough because I can't get close enough to take a shot without having to arc the shot rather than aiming directly at them. I haven't found ANY top tier clothing yet except for two tuques and a balaclava (but I know from previous runs that they can be found), so despite having two wolf coats, two deer pants, and deer boots I'm still only at +23 warmth and +11 wind, and I'm often finding my FL temp to be between -15 and -25 when I go outside. Better than -10 is rare and means it's time to go hunting bear as one usually has to wait in an unreachable spot on one of their paths for quite some time before the opportunity comes along to take the shot.

This is all going to depend on how the work situation goes... currently my firm is going to have me build a high availability cluster in a data centre in DT Toronto for the distributed grid supercomputer system we're building in late November or early December, depending on how long it's going to take for us to get the hardware, get all the software installed and set up in the office, get it up to the data centre, and get it all put in place. The streaming is going to have to happen after I get it all together and up and running because between now and then I'm going to be going off the hook. In my career I've been accustomed to having two or three months to go from starting to buy the stuff to getting it up and running in the data centre but this time we're hoping to get there in six weeks or even less if possible so I'm going to be running pretty ragged for the next little while.

Archived