One Pain Pill instead of 2

piddy3825

Hey, I did not know that a player could do this, but I just discovered while playing, that a player need only take one pain pill to recover from an injury instead of two that the game takes when you select pain pills from the radial menu.

Somehow I ended up with one single lone pain pill when of course I sprained my ankle.  Not having any Rose Hib tea either, I just tried taking the single pill from the inventory menu and it worked.  Subsequently I noticed that if I had pain pills on the radial menu, the game would use two pills to heal.  I went back and tested my hypothesis, and each time I could heal with a single pill.  of course you have to drop pills until you get just one in a bottle, but you take that, you heal and you pick the rest up til next time.  

Of course this now changes the game play as you just doubled your stash.  I don't know if this is common knowledge but if it is, sorry for wasting your time with something you already know.  

thanks for reading.

Ooooh you gave me an idea that I had to test out.  It involved throwing myself off a cliff and eating raw moose, but I got the results I was looking for.  When drinking reishi or rose hip tea to treat an ailment, it only counts when you finish the cup.  So say you have a cup of rose hip tea, and you're dehydrated.  Go ahead, drink it, just ESC-cancel just before it's fully finished off.  Now you have maybe 0.01L of tea.  But that's fine.  Sip that last bit of tea next time you have an injury, and BAM, it counts as a full cup.
The same thing applies with reishi tea.  If you have 0.01L of reishi available, it counts as a full treatment.  So go ahead and drink 99% of that cup for warmth, hydration, and calories.  Save the last drop for medicine.

Now I'll feel terribly embarrassed if this is like...some well known mechanic that somehow I was unaware of until now.  But I'd like to think I just made every Loper's day with this discovery lol

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Now I'll feel terribly embarrassed if this is like...some well known mechanic that somehow I was unaware of until now.  But I'd like to think I just made every Loper's day with this discovery lol

Right?  Like everybody knew about this but nobody was talking about it. lol.  Felt the same way when I realized about the pills, just confirmed works the same way for the antibiotics.  

Hi @piddy3825, thanks for your post about being able to cure injuries with a single pain pill.  Normally the game gives an error message if an injured player attempts to consume a single pill-- " Dosage Is 2 Pills. "  We haven't been able to take a single pill in our own checks -- would you be able to share some more details about your game so we can investigate more closely?

• What game mode and experience mode are you playing?
  • Are you seeing this behaviour on all saves, or just your current one?
  • What platform/operating system are you playing on?

6 hours ago, Support said:

Hi @piddy3825, thanks for your post about being able to cure injuries with a single pain pill.  Normally the game gives an error message if an injured player attempts to consume a single pill-- " Dosage Is 2 Pills. "  We haven't been able to take a single pill in our own checks -- would you be able to share some more details about your game so we can investigate more closely?

• What game mode and experience mode are you playing?
  • Are you seeing this behaviour on all saves, or just your current one?
  • What platform/operating system are you playing on?

Hello Support,

to answer your questions, currently playing a custom game setting on pc.  Have been playing current game for a few weeks now and haven't played any other of my sandboxes for a while, but I will check to see if I can get the pain pills and antibiotics to work as single doses and let you know the results.

just adding to this to say that I am able to duplicate this result both in custom and normal sandbox modes.  The game does say needs two pills when taking the pills via the radial menu, however, still able to heal with one pill when accessing the pill via the inventory menu, selecting the health tab and "using" a single pill out of a bottle which only contains one pill.

Hm, interesting! If you haven't done so recently, could you verify your game files and check if you are still able to use a single pill from inventory?

If you are, we'd be interested in taking a look at your game log and save file. You can email them to us at support(at)hinterlandgames(dot)com.

If you are not sure how to find your save files and game log, details are included in our Technical FAQ. 

Thanks for your help!

Hello Support!

Ok, I tried a few different sandboxes where i had both custom games and the normal versions.  In two of my custom game sandboxes i was able to use a single pill to heal but only if I was going thru the inventory menu. On another game I was able to heal on a single pill both thru the radial menu and inventory menu.  A third custom game didnt allow me to heal on a single pill, the game prompted two pills required from both the radial menu and the inventory menu.  I subsequently started a couple of non custom games and they also would not allow healing on a single pill prompting 2 pills required.

So, imho this looks like more of glitch based on my custom setting and less so on the normal side of things which probably explains why you couldnt replicate the conditions.  Sending you the game log save file via email.

thanks

@ajb1978. lol jokes on me.  Looks like the single pill is a glitch in my custom game makeup, but all things considered, I think you once again made a discovery that everyone can benefit from.  I think your discovery on being able to use both teas twice is brilliant.  It's too bad nobody has picked up on that yet.  

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

@ajb1978. lol jokes on me.  Looks like the single pill is a glitch in my custom game makeup, but all things considered, I think you once again made a discovery that everyone can benefit from.  I think your discovery on being able to use both teas twice is brilliant.  It's too bad nobody has picked up on that yet.  

That was mentioned quite some time ago on the Steam forums. It's not a "new" thing. Just, most people don't admit to using the exploit or run around screaming to the world about it. It's really unneeded on Pilgrim and Voyageur, useful but not necessary on Stalker, but the folks I know who have been doing it usually play Interloper, where every way to stretch things out is used. Which might be why people live longer on Interloper than the devs ever imagined they would be able to.  ;) 

13 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

That was mentioned quite some time ago on the Steam forums. It's not a "new" thing. Just, most people don't admit to using the exploit or run around screaming to the world about it. It's really unneeded on Pilgrim and Voyageur, useful but not necessary on Stalker, but the folks I know who have been doing it usually play Interloper, where every way to stretch things out is used. Which might be why people live longer on Interloper than the devs ever imagined they would be able to.  ;) 

I don't spend any time on the Steam forums so it's new to me and I certainly haven't seen any mention of the tea exploit here on the Hinterland Forums.  That being said, I love to uncover, exploit and advertise any and all glitches I come across as its more about gaming the game , then actually playing the game.  If there's a condition that allows me to manipulate game play in a way that the developers didn't take into account and adjust for, then maybe they need to write a patch to correct it.  In the mean time I will be happy to "...run around screaming to the world about it."  :coffee:

The tea "exploit" is immersion breaking for sure, but as far as exploits go I think it ranks pretty low.   I mean you don't get extra uses out of the tea, it still counts for the same number of calories, same level of hydration, and counts as one medical treatment.  Just instead of having it happen all at once, those benefits can be obtained separately.  So I wouldn't expect it to be worth "fixing".

On the entirely arbitrary scale of "things you shouldn't be able to do", I'd rank it about on par with walking sideways on near-sheer surfaces.  Sure, you shouldn't be able to do it, but...meh.  Heck with it.

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

I don't spend any time on the Steam forums so it's new to me and I certainly haven't seen any mention of the tea exploit here on the Hinterland Forums.  That being said, I love to uncover, exploit and advertise any and all glitches I come across as its more about gaming the game , then actually playing the game.  If there's a condition that allows me to manipulate game play in a way that the developers didn't take into account and adjust for, then maybe they need to write a patch to correct it.  In the mean time I will be happy to "...run around screaming to the world about it."  :coffee:

Screaming too loudly is what gets those fun glitches fixed... so we all lose them. 
I "game the game" with the "impossible" climbing tricks, using glitches to climb to places I know I am not supposed to go. But I no longer advertise it, after the first time I did so got an insta-death area plopped into one of my favorite glitch-climbing routes. And others who tried the route after the next hotfix, where the kill-zome was added all died trying it. I tried it again. Dead. Nope. My way up to a really cool view was closed off. Haven't been able to find an alternate route back up there since. All invisi-walls and death-traps. I do what I do, I enjoy it, people I trust I will tell about it and even explain how I do it. But I won't shout to the world how I do it. Because that is the best way  to get that fun shut down by devs and tech. Half the fun for me with my climbing tricks was discovering them. Others can quietly discover them on their own as well. Just like they have with the teas, for a long time now.

Just saying. 

21 hours ago, Mixxut said:

I just tested out the "one pain killer tactic" in a normal stalker sandbox and it worked just fine.

Worked just fine, meaning you were able to heal with one pill, or it wouldn't work with one pill?  I'm playing an Interloper sandbox, had pain killers and got a sprain, so I gave it a try.  I put all pain killers in a container and took one back, and could not use it.  I tried it a few different ways, and always got the "2 doses" message.  I was not able to heal the sprain using just one pill.

36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Worked just fine, meaning you were able to heal with one pill, or it wouldn't work with one pill?  I'm playing an Interloper sandbox, had pain killers and got a sprain, so I gave it a try.  I put all pain killers in a container and took one back, and could not use it.  I tried it a few different ways, and always got the "2 doses" message.  I was not able to heal the sprain using just one pill.

It worked. I had two painkillers I dropped the other one and used the other one. Healed my ankle. Then I picked up the other one and used it. Healed my wrist. I healed both of my sprains using in total of two painkillers

31 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

I had two painkillers I dropped the other one and used the other one.

Interesting.  I wonder if the difference is dropping all but one, versus dropping all of them and picking one up.  Or maybe the difficulty level, but that doesn't seem as likely.  The next time I play, I'll get a sprain (always easy to get, maybe unless I'm trying to), and try dropping all but one pill and see if it behaves differently.

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Interesting.  I wonder if the difference is dropping all but one, versus dropping all of them and picking one up.  Or maybe the difficulty level, but that doesn't seem as likely.  The next time I play, I'll get a sprain (always easy to get, maybe unless I'm trying to), and try dropping all but one pill and see if it behaves differently.

Intresting indeed. I'll do some experimenting too when I get another sprain

Thanks for your posts, everyone!

Just a heads up -- we're not trying to ruin anyone's fun by investigating these types of issues, but if a mechanic works one way for one player and differently for another, that's a little worrying. We try to control resource availability to fit with the level of difficulty a player has chosen, and if stuff is getting doubled under certain conditions, we want to be aware of why.

On 8/11/2018 at 3:38 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Screaming too loudly is what gets those fun glitches fixed... so we all lose them. 
Just saying. 

Ouch, ohhh, I see where your coming from.  Havent thought of it like that, but I can respect position.  Yeah, it sure is fun being able to hop slide down a near vertical surface... but that didnt prevent me from falling thru the bridge to my death today with the character that started the discussion on this thread.  lol  there went all those grand cribs with the cured in place hides...   oh the pain...

now does anyone have any save game exploit that i can take advantage of?

19 hours ago, Mixxut said:

Intresting indeed. I'll do some experimenting too when I get another sprain

I did some more testing last night (PC, Interloper difficulty, a new run started just a few days ago).  It was comical how long it took me to get a sprain when I was trying to.  I spent several in-game days in Desolation Point walking and sprinting around and across every slope I could find, the steeper the better, until I finally walked across a very gently-sloped rock and got a wrist sprain.  I had two containers of painkillers, one with 6 pills, the other with 2.  No matter what I tried, I could not use only one pill, I always got the "dosage is 2 pills" message.  I tried dropping all but one pill using the bottle with 2 pills and the bottle with 6 pills, mixed and matched, picked up one at a time, tried every scenario I could think of, and I was never able to use only one pill.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:08 AM, MrWolf said:

I did some more testing last night (PC, Interloper difficulty, a new run started just a few days ago).  It was comical how long it took me to get a sprain when I was trying to.  I spent several in-game days in Desolation Point walking and sprinting around and across every slope I could find, the steeper the better, until I finally walked across a very gently-sloped rock and got a wrist sprain.  I had two containers of painkillers, one with 6 pills, the other with 2.  No matter what I tried, I could not use only one pill, I always got the "dosage is 2 pills" message.  I tried dropping all but one pill using the bottle with 2 pills and the bottle with 6 pills, mixed and matched, picked up one at a time, tried every scenario I could think of, and I was never able to use only one pill.

It seems to happen more often in custom games rather than the preset variety.  I've just started a new custom where i dialed up all the options to max on each variant just to see what happens and was only able to make the glitch work intermittently.  I typically use stuff first with the lowest condition so maybe that's a factor?  Although in the same game i had a bottle of 12 pills in good condition and couldnt make the glitch work.  Later after i found a few more pills as i changed areas I could make the glitch work again.    

On 8/13/2018 at 6:56 PM, piddy3825 said:

now does anyone have any save game exploit that i can take advantage of?

I think we're pretty much limited to throwing ourselves off small cliffs, passing time, or going indoors.  No fancy tricks there, I'm afraid!  Although if you ever want to test a lot of painkiller scenarios, I recommend the Hunting Lodge.  Just go up to the second floor and walk right off the ledge, so that you land by the basement steps.  Doesn't hurt you much, and you're in a nice safe environment.

7 hours ago, Support said:

Follow-up question about being able to heal with a single Pain Pill:

If you have experienced being able to do this, do you recall if you had multiple stacks of Pain Pills in your inventory, or just the one, single-pill stack?

I had multiple pain killer bottles

19 hours ago, Support said:

Follow-up question about being able to heal with a single Pain Pill:

If you have experienced being able to do this, do you recall if you had multiple stacks of Pain Pills in your inventory, or just the one, single-pill stack?

for me it's always been multiple stacks of pills in the bottle.  typically just 6 like when you find them.  then i drop 5 pills from the bottle via the inventory menu.  I then use the remaining pill and most of the time it works and heals the sprain.  Now to be sure I get the same result using antibiotics in this fashion as well.  Sure came in handy when we discovered the accidental eating of raw meat from the radial menu.  extremely helpful if your character gets parasites...

Archived