Safest route to old spence

FunkyFuggerson

What I do:

1. Follow the tracks to Poacher's Camp (optional warming break)
  2. Turn left (south) to High Blind
  3. From High Blind, turn west again until you reach that rock with a passage in the middle (there's a backpack in that passage).
  4. From there you can approach the Bunkhouses and check the situation. If the wolves aren't at the Bunkhouses, then they probably are at the Homestead. In that case I'd go to the Bunkhouses, find some high ground to see where the wolves are and break through to the Homestead but I've never actually done that
  5. If they are at the Bunkhouses, continue west and enter the Homestead from the northern approach

I've always been able to avoid wolves along this route (except those directly at the Homestead).

12 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

What I do:

1. Follow the tracks to Poacher's Camp (optional warming break)
  2. Turn left (south) to High Blind
  3. From High Blind, turn west again until you reach that rock with a passage in the middle (there's a backpack in that passage).
  4. From there you can approach the Bunkhouses and check the situation. If the wolves aren't at the Bunkhouses, then they probably are at the Homestead. In that case I'd go to the Bunkhouses, find some high ground to see where the wolves are and break through to the Homestead but I've never actually done that
  5. If they are at the Bunkhouses, continue west and enter the Homestead from the northern approach

I've always been able to avoid wolves along this route (except those directly at the Homestead).

Ill probably just rush into the homestead seeing as its wolf proof and start a fire

18 minutes ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Ill probably just rush into the homestead seeing as its wolf proof and start a fire

I'd recommend checking it out from the distance, and if wolves are guarding it, sneak into the perimeter and start a fire - then you can attract them and they'll run away, giving you enough time to make the final dash to the homestead.

Or use stones, but it takes some practice to get the wolves to do what you want. In any case, good luck!

In addition to all the good advice so far, let me suggest headphones.  Crank the sound up if you are worried about running into wolves around near-ish obstacles (like trees and rocks).  Hearing the footsteps -- and the exact direction, because headphones -- gives you precious extra time to act before it spots you: start a fire, throw rocks or sneak away.

4 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

In addition to all the good advice so far, let me suggest headphones.  Crank the sound up if you are worried about running into wolves around near-ish obstacles (like trees and rocks).  Hearing the footsteps -- and the exact direction, because headphones -- gives you precious extra time to act before it spots you: start a fire, throw rocks or sneak away.

Right! I listened to this piece of advice and got ultra-cheap earplugs for something like $5. And even though they don't give me a clue about direction or distance, they alone made a huge difference in my situational awareness.

9 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Right! I listened to this piece of advice and got ultra-cheap earplugs for something like $5. And even though they don't give me a clue about direction or distance, they alone made a huge difference in my situational awareness.

Good point.  I definitely get directional sound, but that might simply be a PC hardware difference.  Also, I don't know if directional sound is supported on consoles.  But +1 for cheap earbuds... I bought 2 pairs a few years back and I'm still using the first pair.  Meanwhile my expensive headphones have devolved from magnificent to flaky. :D

Archived