Sorta Experienced player attempts interloper, (PART 2)

FunkyFuggerson

33 minutes ago, Spakerman said:

I'm curious, you keep mentioning heading over to DP for a big forging session... what's your goal for that session and why DP over FM?  Is it for availability of coal on the journey over?

FM its good for early game forging, but you have to travel across a wolf infested, blizzard ridden wasteland with little to no loot. Plus you have to bring all the scrap metal with you, and all the firewood with you. DP is great once you get a bow and bait, along with that there are 2 coal mines for easy access to firewood, (Or coal) A ton of scrap metal in the Riken, and the best region for beach combing. The only reason I would prefer to go to FM to forge is if Im just making a knife or some extra arrowheads. DP is better for making a bunch of arrowheads and a couple sets of tools. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

DP is better for making a bunch of arrowheads and a couple sets of tools.

Fair enough.  I haven't had an interloper run long enough yet to consider a second forging run.  I tend to make about 20 arrow heads and a set of tools on my first forge visit. I generally like DP better as well I'm just not big on the long hike from ML.  I'll have to do it at some point though I suppose, after I have my coats made.  Not sure yet if I plan to hit up HRV to try for a moose satchel at the signal fire (does the satchel spawn there on Interloper?)

7 minutes ago, Spakerman said:

Fair enough.  I haven't had an interloper run long enough yet to consider a second forging run.  I tend to make about 20 arrow heads and a set of tools on my first forge visit. I generally like DP better as well I'm just not big on the long hike from ML.  I'll have to do it at some point though I suppose, after I have my coats made.  Not sure yet if I plan to hit up HRV to try for a moose satchel at the signal fire (does the satchel spawn there on Interloper?)

Nope, but there is some pretty good loot anyway. At the signal fire a mackinaw jacket and a heavy hammer have a guaranteed spawn. In the wolf ice cave theres a bedroll and a hacksaw, A cave has matches (Not sure which one), and the waterfall ice cave has a static cache spawn which has a guaranteed combat pants, salty crackers, whet stone, and ear wrap. 

DAY 55, Oh yay, things have respawned.

Before I begin Id like to apologize for not updating this in a while, but I went on a trip and schools starting soon so i've been busy. Anyway, all I did today was go back to the office, I checked the overlook and found that a bunny and all the fir limbs have respawned. 

DlTq-NiUwAIMrzw.jpg

DAY 56, Fevered

image.thumb.png.66009c5765a8b3836db0984367cd4d89.png

Ouch! In my sleep I contracted risk for cabin fever, issues like this want me to have a lobotomy option in the game. Well, mental issues wont stop me from going to DP so ill just camp out at the ravine for a day or two.  So putting on my big boy pants I go outside and I travel to the dam, my way there is peaceful, until I reached the dam. Making my way down into the creek/pond area, I scout out for wolves but theres non here today, I did see some by the gondola and train bridge but I should be find if i'm quick. I look over the trailers and I don't see any nasty wildlife, but making my way to the tunnel something goes RARF RARF! I drop my bait, getting ready to fight I look around. I wolf is approaching me, I take aim and it begins to run! In my panic I let go of the arrow and it sailed right onto the wolves feet. The arrow breaks and falls out, and the wolf runs off. Picking up my broken arrow I make haste and head into the ravine. I take advantage of the nice weather to see whether or not I can find some loot to scrounge. Checking out the a clearing I find some rose hips, a large tree branch, and a human icee. 

image.thumb.png.0d0fc23e529573bb1254a8f16ae2788d.png

How this guy even died is beyond me, this has to be the easiest region to survive in. No predators, deer and bunnies, cattails and firewood. And 2 warm caves! What more could an interloper want? Maybe matches, oh wait! Theres pretty much a guaranteed match spawn if the corpse spawns near the fallen tree :o!!! So I guess this is interloper heaven! Making my way to the fallen boxcars inside I find a very, very nice surprise!

image.thumb.png.2538b52bac60b82dd146ce7a73e66b5b.png

A jerry can! My lantern had just recently gone down to .10 liters of fuel so this is a much needed need? I needed this need since my lantern needs a need for neediness of lantern fuel. Picking up the sloshing container its a whopping 3 whole liters to! Knowing my luck i'm going to plummet to my death going across that fallen tree. But I didn't, hooray! I make my way over to the bunny mushroom cave to set up camp, I break down some branches until a blizzard rolls in. 

DlTreW3V4AEh7SW.jpg

My paranoia tells me that I will probably freeze to death if I sleep without a fire so starting one up I pour fire wood on it and go to bed. 

image.thumb.png.21a436b8a47820a007d4b575ca6ed8e2.png

Welcome back!  Love hearing about the travels.  Something I love about TLD is the different feel of travel days versus "doing stuff around the camp" days. I realize sometimes that I've spent like 20-30 days just doing routine survival things around camp, stockpiling food and wood and water, and I decide t's time to do some travelling.  Shifting into travel mode changes the game completely.... need different gear, plan for provisions along the way, contingency equipment, plan goals for the journey. Need to plan carry weight if the goal is to bring supplies back to camp.

Safe Travels!

Welcome back, excited to see the new content.

I tried loper. It was aweful. A nightmare of wolves and the bitter cold. Tried a dozen games and half of them spawned me in HRV. Shifted my attention back to my Voyager game to get the Cold Fusion feat so I won't freeze to death as fast. Interloper is no joke :o

@justyr1 Interloper can seem impossible - I remember the first time I spawned in Loper: three arrows down and the first structure I reached waas still 1 arrow down - WTF! The key to interloper, i believe, is to spend the first 10 to 20 days moving. You've got to sacrifice condition to get where you need to go. Hitting lots of locations means lots of free calories, better clothing and useful items. That approach is still hard, theres wolves and weather in your way, if you push yourself, you find you need surprisingly little to survive. You can do it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. 

Jesus H. Christ, I am so sorry about not updating this. Ive been so damn busy with school, life, everything that I didn't even play the game for a month, I hopped back on but a wolf jumped me and tore me to shreds on the road to the light house. Fitting, I suppose to be killed the exact way as the last life, come lets relive some of the best moments from this tale of a lopers journey. 

image.png.31a43c14bbf7e1378eec5d639d03d052.png

Ah day 1, The constant struggle of a lopers first few hours. I barely survived, dragging my beaten body up the jackrabbit island during a blizzard, collapsing into a bed and falling asleep. A gripping first day if you ask me!

image.png.54d8fda1642a897b5ce5745fad8bb77e.png

Day 13, My first pair of animal hide clothing. A tenuous task, climbing up the mountains to the mine in order to craft in relative safety. This large journey would not be my last. 

image.thumb.png.bd72a2e85f56d18087be1b23f07d1a04.png

Day 17, after escaping the blizzard battered, wolf infested, coastal highway, I make my way to mystery lake. Some coffee in a trailer is a godsend to a wary traveler. 

image.png.d2cdad2003f3f23eca988e64d3bf9387.png

Day 26, The muskeg, the worst and best place to be. The journey was a harsh one, but one I managed to survive. I dumped my scrap and forged for 2 days, resources soon became scarce so I had to head back. 

image.thumb.png.dcfff5b1fcf8cabcc3de6d2bfcfe3324.png

Day 32, Time to tackle Timberwolf, but first I must go through pleasant valley. I spent many days here, even had a close call with an aurora bear. The wind was always blowing against my face, and the wolves were always at the door. With enough willpower I powered forward and made it to the mountaineers hut. 

image.png.6a2146e56b0c2d74eb32045e917de7af.png

Day 37, well well well, hello loot! While the cargo crates contain nothing compared to there easier difficulty companions, its still a gold mine for struggling lopers. This was the highest point of my journey, I had done it, even with barely any resources, against all odds I made it to the top. I peer over the edge of the plane and scream into the abyss, "I will conquer this world!" But oh how wrong I was. 

image.png.ccec55dac7961a9a00b3c626a08d2794.png

In the end, nature does what nature does best, kill and defeat. I tried my best, survived my best, fought as hard as I could, but in the end an ant cannot kill a bear. All I wish is that it would of been a more peaceful goodbye, perhaps drifting off to a silent death, freezing in my sleep. Instead my last moments were painful and horrible, but what did I expect? 

Just another day, in the long dark. 

Archived