Sorta Experienced player attempts interloper, (PART 2)

FunkyFuggerson

DAY 37, The summit

image.thumb.png.99a9d1f959ecc5b4b4ff12cac4cb6cb7.png

Hooooly crap I actually made it, rushing inside I start up a fire. I instantly begin to hack open all cargo crates. Oh my god is the loot up here great, I even broke open some crates and found 2 matches and an accelerant. Heres the full rundown of what I found.

• Ski jacket
  • Wool ear wrap
  • 5 summit sodas
  • 9% pork and beans
  • Wool socks
  • cured animal pelts
  • climbing rope
  • Skill book on cooking
  • 2 tins of coffee
  • one box of tea
  • 1 wool toque
  • painkillers, antibiotics, antiseptic, bandages
  • 4 salty crackers

And when checking behind a crate...

image.thumb.png.29fd9fc94c30b755ab3c3b2994002e80.pngDk5nZfAVAAIyYPg.jpg

Oh yeah and not to mention the flare gun to!

image.thumb.png.928b2697f5deb9d5e1126ee06ed7b84a.png

Look at it, LOOOOOK AT IT. Putting on and repairing some of my clothing I find that I have garnered quite the warmth bonus!

image.thumb.png.2802e598ed32e612131e763794bedc2f.png

Now I just have to mountain goat down the cliffside tomorrow and ill be set, whoop whooooop! 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

I think you missed one quite useful thing (which I missed too, many times, until it was tactfully brought to my attention by one of the Snowball readers).

Come on, just tell me, because whatever it is i'm probably not going back up there, I mean it it really worth it to travel up to the summit for one useful item? Maybe once I visit the place again. 

6 minutes ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Come on, just tell me, because whatever it is i'm probably not going back up there, I mean it it really worth it to travel up to the summit for one useful item? Maybe once I visit the place again. 

In your situation it's probably not worth it getting back up for it. Next time check the floor very carefully, especially behind the cargo containers :)

DAY 38, Mountain Goating

A blizzard is raging strong when I wake up next to my fire in the tail section. With six hours still on it I boil more water. The blizzard dies and I drink some warmed up tea. I dump everything I don't need in a cargo crate, mostly just the shoes and antiseptic. Now I know this feels cheat-y but i'm going to mountain goat down Timberwolf instead of heading back. I usually don't do this but even with my resources from the summit it still would be quite draining to make it all the way back to the mountaineers. Just think of it as a test of my ankle strength eh? Making my way down the cliff I manage to not sprain anything! I am a god amongst men, the ultimate mountain goater! Fear my iron ankles and immense strength! A wolf barks at me but I get down onto a rope and begin to climb, I see it peering over the edge. Making my way down I see the bear trudging back to its cave. Avoiding it I head up into the mountaineers. 

image.thumb.png.6fab1bd8aa7e4b659869eef06f931cab.png

I tear apart the light shell I left in the hatch, it has really no use to me when I have 2 ski jackets. I use the cloth to repair my clothing, I break down the crate in the corner and I head out. Making my way into the area to the side of the hut I spot that I can climb up a steep cliff to what appears to be a small clearing. Making my way up to it I look around, a scrub bush, rocks, a tree with lichen and right next to the lichen. 

image.thumb.png.9ee8d1d9153327f142474ab02036ccf3.png

Look its a teeny weeny insty bintsy cave! I suppose this isn't a bad place to start a fire and get some sleep. Making my way to the other end of this small area I see theres a slope leading down. Going down it I head down the path to PV. Going against all my interloper instincts I don't pick up any sticks to over encumber me for the rope climb.

image.thumb.png.5202bbfa80eec554a0dfc5dbf3a63fc9.png

So long and thanks for all the loot! Making my way towards the rope I climb down, I step inside the abandoned survivalists cache. Another blizzard rolls in, but i'm fast asleep and once I wake up its gone. 

DAY 39, Condition, Whats that?

Emerging from my bunker I squint against the sunlight, well its not sunny, more snowy then anything. I take one more look around the area and I think I want to talk about something. 

image.thumb.png.3b0da2a56078a19f7ed96c36ea435798.png

Since you can peer into this here outhouse I think this is a missed opportunity. Theres a corpse position were its sitting down with its head in its hand, why didn't hinterland add that corpse into this outhouse!? Would of been a great easter egg for my juvenile sense of humor. Well heading back towards the bridge to the PV homestead I avoid a tussle with a wolf. Going down into the waterfalls basin I head down the river, now taking some time to pick cattails. A blizzard begins to pick up as I make my way down. Heading up a snowy hill I make my way down into the orchard. I see wolves and a bear prancing around, but none of them are in my way. Opening the door into the house I decide I want to break down some furniture for some fire. But while breaking down a bench my condition goes red and I begin stumbling around. 

image.thumb.png.ecd25d3c1d6416b0dbb3a9c83c969d53.png

Ouch! Looks like i'm going to be eating some food, Scarfing down some banged up pinnacle peaches I begin my fire. 

Double, Double toil and trouble

Fire stove burn and cooking pot bubble

Fillet of a jumpy rabbit

in the cooking pot boil and bake;

Eye of wolf, and toe of bear

Pelt of deer and skin of fish

Pinnacle peaches and hatchets sting

Combat boots and Broken ribs

For a charm with powerful trouble

Like a hell broth melt and bubble

Double, double toil and trouble

Fire stove burn and cooking pot bubble

Cool it with a moose's blood,

The the charm is firm and good. 

DAY 40, Condition recovery 

Just spent the day recovering condition, I checked behind a broken cupboard drawer and found this.

image.thumb.png.b8004cb87603e0cad286fb734bc609d3.png

it was at 20% condition, if I got a box of salty crackers for every time I ate one of these and got food poisoning I could probably fill this entire region with crackers. 

DAY 41, Back to the lake.

With plenty of condition and a spirit full of confidence I step outside. A blizzard rolls in the second I step foot onto the snow. @Ruruwawa You said that no predators seem to spawn during a blizzard, but I don't trust myself not to get lost and die so i'm going to pass on this one. So sleeping for a bit the blizzard dies and I step outside, its sorta snowy but nothing I cant handle. I make my way up towards the radio tower, making sure there are NO BEARS. I then stop by the hunters blind, but then I realize that theres a cave here! Its called hilltop cave and inside I find myself a tasty treat!

image.thumb.png.0e343cca2a2e3b1fe1f9830b5789806a.png

Mmmmm Crackerz.... I read some the skill books I brought with me at the back of the cave to warm up. I make my way up to the carter hydro dam and environs. And I spot something huffing and puffing about near me. 

image.thumb.png.76b59939af0dd56cedbe019f8662d06e.png

It turns around and I think about getting a nice shot at its head, I draw my bow... But it gets up and starts charging so I say nope and head into the cave. I turn on my lantern and I head through the cave system. I make my way across the planks, down the rock slope, around a corner. I get into that area with the giant hole in the ceiling right before the entrance to winding river. The deer carcass has spawned here this time so I stoop down and harvest its pelt. Now I just need this to cure and I have enough pelts for deerskin boots. I then plan to harvest up the deer carcass's at the dam and at the overlook for pants. 

image.thumb.png.2613e042b3a5b5a70fe9dae668a47479.png

Heres a bit of long dark trivia, there are really only 3 spawn points in the entire game (That I know of) Were fresh leather can spawn. Fresh leather takes five days to air dry before you can use it. And this spot right here under this shelf a fresh leather can spawn, the others are the poachers camp, and the ravine (In the boxcars or the gondola, I cant quite remember) Heres the link to the leather article on the wiki if you want to read up some more on leather. http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Cured_leather

Heading across the dam I spot the wolf chasing a rabbit, it starts running towards it. The rabbit squeals and dies, the wolf seems to be in heaven right now. I mean as a wolf I would wanna live here! Free bunnies, no things to compete with you, the occasional traveller for you to tear apart. Making my way into the dam I warm up, and then I head out. Its nice and clear and sunny, and there are no wolves to kill me! Making my way to the camp office i'm almost there! I only have 12% condition so I better be fast! 

image.thumb.png.c3fc1938fe8ffcdb6df5d0382c835c59.png

¬¬

DAY 44, Deerskin pants, Here I come! 

The weather was nice and clear, so I shouldn't have to waste a match! Making my way into the dams entrance area I start a fire next to a deer corpse. Harvesting it up I drop off the guts and hide inside the dam. I then cook up all the venison I got off of it. And boy, a full slab of the meat gives me about 925 calories if a remember correctly, thanks cooking level 3! Pulling out a bunch of torches I head into the dam, I do the torch relight thingy as I head towards the winding river. Stepping outside into the winding river its snowing. Making my way across the dam I start a fire next to another deer body. Harvesting it up I roast its venison, but while finishing up roasting my last meaty slab of deer thigh I blizzard rolls in and ruins the fun. 

image.thumb.png.bf006cc7c58d44b0ba05b47e3bf31d90.png

Ah well, thats how life goes I suppose. Making my way back into the dam I go into the entrance hall and drop my stuff off. After breaking down some things for reclaimed wood the blizzard dies out and I step outside to get the low calorie pieces of deer to eat for tonight. An aurora rolls in, which means a buffer memory! Fun story, I actually died in this dam while looting it during an aurora, I forgot that exposed cables can produce electricity so I got shocked to death by one. 

image.thumb.png.7c45ca52fada9f225dbd5ebdc90615e9.pngDlDBJmuU0AAztrJ.jpg

What's that trapper up to? Dun dun duuuuun! Are buffer memories in story mode? If so could you read this and bring it up with Jeremiah? DUN DUUUUN DUUUUUUN???????

DAY 47, Wolf huntin'

When I wake on my bunk a blizzard has rolled in outside. So passing some time it calms down and I step outside into nice and clear weather. Once I craft up my boots and pants its off to DP for an XL size forging session. But i'm probably going to want to have something back at the camp office curing for me to come back to. So I can probably leave 4 wolf pelts and 4 guts to cure for a coat once I get back. A good place to start is the 3 wolves out on mystery lake, so grabbing a piece of bait I head out. I get ones attention and lob an arrow at its face, I doesn't kill the wolf and it runs away. Another wolf rorf's me so I drop my bait and pop it in between the eyes. Another wolf comes over and I kill that one to, I see the injured wolf running around the lake, I toss an arrow but miss I see it bounce but I dont see were it went, looking around the lake I cant find it. Looks like i've lost an arrow, ah well, ill live. 

image.thumb.png.b69b319578c8b0374841851a7bb9021a.png

Well starting a fire next to one of the bodies I begin to chop it up, after harvesting it I move on to the next one. After harvesting everything from both I start a fire in the fishing hut and then I dump the remainder of my wood on each fire. I load each one up with some wolf steaks, since the bear hasn't spawned at the bear cave on the lake Im free to loot both ice fishing huts now. Checking the farthest one I find a scrap metal, and checking the one I started a fire in I find a sewing kit. But while walking from one ice fishing hut to another I stumble across my missing arrow. 

image.thumb.png.1874b46d1113ef98fe546774fb130f22.png

I decide to go and loot some cabins, I dump my stuff to cure in them and I head back outside. 

image.thumb.png.fef43b2f26a75fba56a7cb10fb3c8cb4.png

Finally after cooking the last wolf steak a blizzard begins to roll in. I don't have much water so using the last bit of time left on my ice fishing hut fire I boil a liter. Heading outside I begin to have flashbacks to day 1. 

image.thumb.png.6b40a8b79334208ef21fe188e3fa7329.png

Look familiar? Well act least now i'm not surrounded on all sides by wolves. Making my way to a cabin I chow down on a wolf steak and go to bed.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to mention I just spent the days before this gathering firewood and thats it. 

DAY 49, Sudden surprisew! 

DlLAjLfV4AA9VOU.jpg

When I went outside the weather was a foggy mint green, I decided to take advantage of the nice weather to go up to the lookout. I had left some saplings up there to cure and I also needed to break down some furniture for wood as I was running out. While making my way back down the trail I sprained my ankle, like, why? WHY? Man, thank god HRV has so many rose hips, if Will keeps spraining ankles like this ill never have enough painkillers. So warming up in the camp office I decide to use the last remaining light to get some sticks, so heading up to the overlook I collected about 4 sticks that had respawned. While peering over the edge of the overlook I saw some crows circling an object. I couldn't quite make it out from here so I climbed down the rope. Zooming in on it with my bow and arrow I saw the it definitely was the wolf that had ran away on day 47. I went down to it and look at that! The arrow I had lodged in it, good to see you again arrow. 

DlLAOuAV4AAlHXR.jpg

I grabbed my arrow and left, I harvested some cattails I hadn't yet gotten on the way there. I entered the camp office and went to sleep.

DAY 50, The third pelt. 

I plan to harvest up the wolf corpse today and then the wolf that lurks around the area near the corpse. That will get me a good 2 pelts which will be enough for the coat. I head out to the lake and the weather is a bit windy but not enough to blow out a fire, also its clear so I don't have to waste a match! Man when was the last time I used a match? Ive been making so much mag lens fires recently, cant say its a bad thing though. Making my way over to the southern river access I get ready to shoot a wolf, I here it bark at me. I lure it onto the ice and I take aim, the arrow lodges into its foot and it runs up a hill and into the forest. Well crap, I would pursue but knowing interloper this clear weather might disappear so I better take advantage. Starting up a fire I get to work. 

DlLAcm5UwAIA1_R.jpg

I harvest its meat, but it turns out to be ruined :( Ah well, whatever, getting its guts I get a nice surprise!

DlLAVdfVAAAnXu0.jpg

The wind soon blows my fire out and I head back to the camp office, now I just need 1 more pelt. 

DAY 51, Wolf chase

I decided to lure a wolf from the boxcars out towards the camp office for easy peasy harvesting but the TLD gods has different plans. I lured one out but my faulty aim failed me once more and I shot it in the foot, in ran out onto the ice and pretty much across the entire lake. Following it I found it limping around near the ice fishing huts. 

DlLA1ETU0AAk_Vb.jpg

Poor thing better take it out of its misery, but popping it from the behind turned out to be a bad decision. I shot it in its butt, making it scamper off towards the camp office, following it again I here it keel over. Heading up the hill I find its body. 

DlLA6KyUwAAypRH.jpg

Finally... Extra points for the butt shot though. Getting its pelt I trudge back to the camp office and spend the day repairing my quality tools. 

DAY 52, Deerskin boots, finally. 

I forgot to mention that I didn't put my guts in far enough into the cave to cure them so I missed out on about 1-2 days of curing. Now they have finally cured and I can use them, hooray! waking up at the crack of dawn I head up to the overlook. I get my gut and cured deer hide and I go back to the camp office, I almost use up a sewing kits durability on crafting the deer skin boots. At the end of the day I slip them on. 

DlLAwksUcAE7-hG.jpg

Supple and tough. Allows great balance of mobility and warmth. Also, stylish. Lets admit, the most important thing in interloper is style. 

21 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

If I wanted to run around with high condition I would have to quaff an herbal tea and spend the day inside 

@Hotzn has a good point - it takes exactly the same effort (a full night's sleep) to get from 10% to 40% as from 70% to 100%. So if you just manage your condition to end the day around 65% - 70%, you'll have a buffer of condition for a tight situation, be it unexpected blizzard, wolf attack, whatever. If you instead juggle at 10%, the first calamity will kill you. When my condition drops below 50%, I usually declare a 'light duty' day to get my buffer back.

Congratulations on your stylish boots!

DAY 53, Almost pants

After making my deerskin boots I assume my deerskin pelts and guts that I left at the dam are cured. So heading outside its windy and clear, but for once in my life the wind isn't facing towards the direction I want to go. I make it over to the dam, there are 2 wolves by the gondola so I better be sneaky. Making my way behind the trailers I look for wolves, I don't see any but then.... Bark! I drop my bait and launch an arrow, I hear the arrow snap and the wolf runs off. I pick up the broken arrow and head inside. As I hoped my guts and skins were cured so I got to work, fist using my last fishing tackle then most of a sewing kit. I didn't finish them so I went to bed. 

DAY 54 Totally Pants

image.thumb.png.64cd67fa783de5ef36bee1d72059c9d4.png

Finally what I always wanted to be, Canadian mad max. And look 20 Celsius! Maybe now I wont be three barring all day long :) A tip I picked up recently is that you should dump a lot of water and leave a small cache of goods in the dam. The reason being is because the dam is the waypoint between 3 regions. So in case your traveling from ML to PV or CH you can grab some supplies. If your going the other way around the dam can be used to resupply, so I decided to just go ahead and leave a bunch of water inside of the dam. Checking outside the weather is nice and clear, spectacular! I start up another mag lens fire, I pull out a bunch of torches and I head back inside. I start a fire in the fire barrel, breaking down crates and pallets I have Enough firewood to last me a while. 

image.thumb.png.da2f9a8d31cdb68029b3eb606ccdc970.png

Does anyone know if theres an option to make the UI icons disappear when taking a screenshot? Im on XBOX 1 and i cant find one. I boil about 15 liters of water, drinking about 1 liter before I go to bed makes it 14 i'm leaving here. Heres an odd little fact, apparently the angle you take a torch at effects the quality of the torch. 

image.thumb.png.a877d138d38418ab2be9d746d49b7540.png

The 22% torch was pulled from the left side, the 35% from the middle, and the 47% from the right. The more you know! 

Looking good there.  We seem to be running very similarly in our current lives.  Day 53, living in ML, I have almost the same clothing setup (minus the ear wrap and jeans which got ruined by a bear when I made some arrows in CH fishing village). Curing for the Wolf coat.

Good read all around, love the play by play with highlights.

I'm curious, you keep mentioning heading over to DP for a big forging session... what's your goal for that session and why DP over FM?  Is it for availability of coal on the journey over?

Archived