Sorta Experienced player attempts interloper, (PART 2)

FunkyFuggerson

Now that I have got some more experience under my belt Ive decided to attempt interloper once more. Now, last time, I made it to day 59, which is pretty impressive for a first time interloper run right? Well I think I survived that long because lady luck had favored me that day. I decided since it was my first time id start in mystery lake to make it a little easier on myself. Then, I found a mackinaw jacket, a ski jacket, matches, a mag lens, a bedroll, 2 cooking pots, a hacksaw, a lantern, a jerrycan, and some mitts and a hat before day 6-7. And when I went forging in the muskeg I got really lucky with how the wolfs were scattered around the map, so I only had what? seven heart attacks from them barking at me? Anyway, I made it to Milton so I could do some looting and check out HRV and then a wolf killed me :( So now Ive decided to hoist my big boy pants all the way up, slap on a wolfskin belt, and attempt 'Loper again, but I don't get the luxury of starting in ML. Oh yes, and guess what! Now there going to be screenshots, because i'm playing on XBOX i've set up a twitter so I can post my screenshots and share them with you all. I'll hope to get this story running later today, so stay tuned! 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 1, Close calls

image.thumb.png.96221d5bfb6ab3beaa7d4741cfaac130.png

Ah, The muskeg, My favorite region in TLD, but also one of the toughest. 

Wake up next to hat creek, its dawn break and the weather is clear and wind-less. A wolf is patrolling down at the base of the creek so I skirt up to the radio tower and pick some lichen. The fact thats its morning is both a blessing and a curse, on one hand I get to have the whole day ahead of me for looting, but also i'm instantly hypothermic. I find a worn cloth scarf and some accelerant at the radio tower and thats about it. I edge down a cliff and pick more lichen. Realize i'm going to have to get a move on if I don't want to die. Dodge another wolf and get some crow feathers from a deer corpse, I thought about visiting Old Spence for those tantalizing static matches but theres tons of wolves there and I don't want to end up as some animals lunch. Travel over to the poachers camp, which I never understood the name of, because its a bunch of wrecked boxcars. So I assume those happened during or after the aurora, so, did some poachers just set up camp not knowing the apocalypse had started? Names aside, I find a sports vest, some coal, and a book on firestarting. Which in my opinion is the most important skill in interloper since fire starting implements can be so rare. The bear that likes to stomp around the boxcars is way over near its cave so I loot behind the boxcars and look what I found! 

image.thumb.png.511a280bca5e0d1a6d8fb9e3850bcad3.png

Coffee! I didn't find a single tin of this stuff in my last run but heres some just sitting in a box! This will make the climb to the TWM summit ten times easier, Act least I hope so. Never climbed it on interloper, if you have any tips, please share them. Now my frostbite rate is really getting high, i'm going to have to sprint over to the trappers homestead if I don't wanna die. But another problem is coming behind me, thirst. Besides hypothermia I find thirst to be one of the deadliest thing to an interloper on day 1-2, as you don't have any matches. I pick some cattails and head through the tunnel to mystery lake. I find some simple tools and another cloth scarf! There not very good warmth wise, but there better then a baseball cap. I sprint towards the trappers cabin, narrowly avoiding a wolf and picking up some coal on the way there. 

image.thumb.png.8d72ec518d3ed4a662ab99c05d2cf359.png

While i'm definitely happy the moose has spawned here its also pretty sucky that he's in between me and the cabin. I do a sort of U-shaped walk around the moose trying not to get it to attack me. And look! A large cluster of birch saplings right behind the cabin, lucky me! But not so lucky if I don't get into this cabin.image.thumb.png.e320b4b0e7e838904bf52d1a94a4bfad.png

Holy crap! That was close! While I could live with the condition hit it would make wildlife attacks just a bit more deadly. I loot the cabin and find a heavy hammer, a sewing kit, and some accelerant and a wool scarf in the safe. I break down things until my hypothermia risk dissipates. I glug down a tomato soup just so I don't die of thirst and head out. The wind is heavy but its clear and sunny, and the moose has wandered off to god knows where. 

image.thumb.png.cddebd1e95557d54b05ce366282ac324.png

Looking fashionable Astrid! While a measly +3 Warmth bonus isn't much, that combined with my cold fusion feat prevented me from freezing completely. I dodge another wolf and head towards the camp office. My thirst has gone completely red so I sip a bit of soda to keep my condition up. I'm not to sure what to do. Im pretty exhausted from all my walking and running, and I only have some soda and peaches to keep my thirst up, And since its around late noon, Im 100% certain those two things wont last me the night. The only plan I have if I cant find matches is to get over to the dam pronto and drink the toilet water, but that plan wont work because the dam doesn't have a bed and ill be completely exhausted by the time I get there. Id have to somehow make it to the cave in winding river, hopethat the bedroll spawns there and then sleep there for the night. My life weighs on whether or not theres matches or a mag lens in the office. I rush in and... MAG LENS. I rush back outside and try to start a fire, but its blasting wind, I manage to find a small spot protected by wind to start up a fire. I use my accelerant and dump some sticks into it. I pull out a ton of torches and head back inside.

image.thumb.png.d878e0a4c6739cd6f6dfa3c8134d2f06.pngWhew, Right on indeed Astrid, right on indeed. 

image.thumb.png.e0739a92a43622d752fbb7e85b269cd3.png

Start up a large fire and boil water into the night. To be honest with you, this was one of the funnest day 1's i've had in TLD. Extremely stressful and tough, but I managed to survive. :) 

DAY 2, Looting the lake

I wake up and drink some water, then I go downstairs and dump about 11 liters of the water I boiled last night and I keep 2 liters. I step outside and its lightly snowing, which means wet clothing. Decided to go up to the overlook to see if I can snag a fire striker or a lantern but all I find is 1 book, and 1 skill book on carcass harvesting. 

image.thumb.png.b69d21047c30d3f4fd1bd60233f2ba89.png

I collect some sticks and head back down into the camp office to warm up. I repair some of my clothing and head back out again. I've decided to try and loot some cattails for food, and check the farthest ice fishing hut on the lake since it can have a bedroll. I recently learned a good tip for interloper, and thats to try and always have the high ground. So, clambering onto a rock I peer around the lake and spot some a pack of wolves guarding the front of the lake. 

image.thumb.png.62b0aaeb7d1b5514e3532349ce0078fe.png

Welp, looks as if that first hut is going to be left untouched for a while. But this is also good news, because this wolf pack usually guards the passage to the bedroll hut. So it looks like the only thing that will stand in my way is a possible bear spawn. So I hop down, skim along the edge and pick some cattails. I loot the 2 cabins near the climbing rope and find some meager supplies. Mostly paper, but some books for fire starting and a packet of jerky. Which is an extra 300 calories for sleeping. 

image.thumb.png.1207fb6f73218b31c4d6a5db39df5917.png

I know its really hard to see (Sorry! :() But the bear is there and now my plan has deflated a bit. I toss a stone to try and lure it away from the hut but it doesn't do anything. Just keeps trudging along, so I crouch down and slowly sneak up to the fishing hut. By this point my hands are sweating like crazy and with an Xbox controller sweaty hands are a nightmare. Once the bear is at a distance I open up the door and peer inside.

image.thumb.png.471c2e634d0d44aef02c7afc5afe33ea.png

Well that was a whole lotta stress for a whole lotta nothing! Not much is in there anyway, besides some reclaimed wood. Tomorrow ill check out the hunting blind since a fire striker or a bedroll can spawn there. If nothing is there than looks like Ill be checking out winding river for its bedroll spawn. If its not there then I dunno. Ill probably sleep in the radio hut and then come back to ML to do some more looting then try and find one in PV. 

Until next time! Well, next time is probably going to be in an hour or 2 judging by the fact that I want to keep playing this until day 3 ends. Maybe ill go into day 4? Bah whatever. 

EDIT: Ah yes, I should probably wright my loot haul down eh?

1 cedar firewood, 3 books, 1 prybar, 1 packet of jerky, 1 book on ice fishing, 1 reclaimed wood, cattails, sticks, and a bedroll made of air ¬¬

19 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Now, last time, I made it to day 59, which is pretty impressive for a first time interloper run right?

Absolutely!

17 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

image.thumb.png.511a280bca5e0d1a6d8fb9e3850bcad3.png

Coffee!

Correct, this is an invalid location to place the coffee object. The valid location is in your backpack.

DAY 3, Light snow.

My plan was to check out Alans cave for the bedroll or fire striker, but when I stepped outside it was snowing. And knowing interloper, and knowing it was day 3, and knowing it was snowing, I predicted a blizzard. And the last thing I need is to be in a blizzard in wolf territory with nothing to protect myself but a flare, or a hammer if things turn sour. So instead I set my sights on the fire tower since that may have something of use, most notable of which is a lantern. But what I care about most is medical supplies, mainly painkillers. Because I only have 1 prepared rose hips and no way to cook them. So a sprained ankle or wrist could be a death sentence if a wolf decided that now it wants to eat me. I really, really hope that I don't get a sprained ankle, because that means no sprint and well do I have to explain the importance of running when a wolf goes ARF? But act least I have the essentials, 4 bandages and some lichen wraps in case a bear mauls me? image.thumb.png.30ecb8441435e46ef997ad2053d7e819.png

So I climbed up to the tower and picked more lichen along the way, picking feathers off a frozen corpse. The wolf that lurks near the place has decided that it wants to patrol near the entrance to the frozen creek. I get into the tower and loot it. Not a bad loot stash if you ask me! And guess what I fooooound...

image.thumb.png.85f5fb1280056bc119b18c5c589b4e3a.png

Sadly, in only had .48 liters of gas left in it, along with being in poor condition. But thats ok, I have some simple tools I could use to fix it up. But right now I need to conserve scrap metal for forging. Along with that I find a whetstone, (second one, hooray!) Another fire starting book, which could be useful, but I don't have the food to waste on reading it right now. and some antibiotics, which aren't as useful as painkillers since I don't usually contract parasites or food poisoning. But with that whole placing raw meat on the campfire fiasco where you accidentally chow down on raw wolf, it could prove essential to my survival. As suspected, a blizzard rolled in as I was looting the place. 

image.thumb.png.4f9a87f4d6edc0fa2c8bf566edffa5c2.png

I crafted, tore things up, and repaired my clothing, now I get an extra celsius to my warmth bonus! Lucky me...

DAY 4, Disaster strikes then un-strikes?

It's still dark when I wake up, but a bit of time passing can fix that. I step outside, darn! Still light snow, knowing this game, another blizzards going to roll in, then a wolf attack, then a bear attack, a moose attack, then I die. But as I walk down the trail to the tower and find it to be pretty peaceful. I don't even see any wolves around. But then, I hear that all to familiar noise. Something I usually just groan about, take care of, then get on with my life. 

Dj_8QbMUYAEH35F.jpg

Snap, WELL $@#&! There goes my ankle, and probably my life, >:( Im completely panicking, what if theres wolves near me? I can't die now! I hobble over to the train tracks and #$@#%@&%@#&%@#%@%@#. Wolf, a wolf, I would of taken a screenshot but I was to be busy having a heart attack. I managed to edge along the rock face and get past it. I heard it go RARF, but I got in to the camp office before it could get jaws on my tasty flesh. I decided that right now is the best time to just stay inside for a bit eh? I tear down all the cloth items I find and store them away. I check outside to see how the weathers doing, and hooray! The TLD gods probably felt guilty for snapping my ankle and sicing a rabid wolf on me. 

Dj_8XpFVAAADknh.jpg

Also, Im so happy i'm going to type in purple now, finally I can start a fire. Since my only righting... No, this is kinda hard to read and it hurts my eyes. Here, back to white. Anyway, since I only have a mag lens to start my fires I need to rely on the weather to be clear to start my fires. Then I transfer the fire via torch into my house so no wind blows it out. I wish I had some matches, but for now i'm just going to have to rely on the lens to get my water boiling.  I think about boiling the rose hips and drinking them to ward off my sprained ankle, but i'm in the safety of the indoors so I'll save the tea for an emergency. 

Dj_8eUVU0AEtpIu.jpg

Since I dunno when my next fire is going to be, ill just dump as much crap as I can into it, ah fire, all you voyageur and stalker players sure do take everything for granted don't you? 

Dj_8kIZU8AAxonP.jpg

Nice to meet you once again old friend! Well, the plan for tomorrow is to head over to Alan's cave, for a possible bedroll. If not then, well I suppose the winding river? See you next time!

DAY 5, Bedroll huntin'

While you can play the entire game without ever using a bedroll, this pretty much locks you out of regions such as TWM or HRV. The only way you could sleep outside is with a snow shelter, but it doesn't provide much warmth and you can only stick it outside. Guess what lives outside? Wolves and bears that are exceptionally hungry. So i'm going to be needing a bedroll if I want to go to TWM, which I most likely will want to do. Mostly for that sweet coffee and tea, and perhaps a ski jacket? There is only one location left in ML which could have a possible bedroll spawn. Thats the hunters blind by Alan's cave, problem with that? Wolves, a wolf enjoys trotting around the hunters blind and wolfs equal death. So i'm just going to have to sneak like a secret agent and see if I can get a bedroll to spawn. When I step outside of the camp office its snowing lightly, which probably means another blizzard :( I decide to take the long way around to the hunters blind because the entrance to that small little area near the two ropes to the mystery lake overlook? Theres always a wolf there, no matter when I go, So its out of the picture. Unless you get lucky and a deer spawns near the place that you can chase in and distract the wolf with I don't suggest going that route unless that sapling cluster spawns.  The long way around is at that creek with cattails next to the dam. Alan's cave kinda works as a shortcut between the dam and the lake, but wolves make me avoid using it on higher difficulties. But anyway, I make my way there and get on a rock to spot if the wolf is there. On my way up my ankle goes, "What? Everything is going fine and life seems pretty good for the time being? I better go SNAP  then!" But I had some rose hip tea on me so I drank that and my ankle healed up. No wolf today, so looks like I get a clear passage. I get over to the hunters blind and...

image.thumb.png.7668aba6e7fdfba086c1efb995564cdf.png

Darn it, just a flare, but I suppose that means one more emergency fire I can start, or perhaps a wolf scared. I pick the rose hips around the area and move on. I suppose ill loot the dam and then head into winding river for a bedroll. But it hasn't spawned for me before so Im going to guess if it doesn't spawn I can say goodbye to this save. Or I could get to PV and sleep in the radio hut, maybe...

image.thumb.png.3fed0b8f725561159a15658d138d3f7b.png

Well thats really ominous and spooky, but i'm willing to do anything for loot so here I go. The first floor is relatively mundane loot wise, but guess what! Driving gloves! Which means no frostbitten hands, even if there in poor condition. I make my way up to the office and loot it, the medical locker had some antiseptic in it, but most importantly, 6 painkillers! Thats 3 sprains I don't have to worry about now, but with my rose hips from Alans cave, this should mean even more painkillers. I find some books, and then some fleece mittens in one of the drawers! There just barely a step up from my driving gloves but more warmth the better. And I find ANOTHER pair of driving gloves, jesus,  didn't expect these office workers to be such car enthusiasts.  But the best part of the upper floor? 

image.thumb.png.f0618b9c5022becf31987baf4bcc75fa.png

Matches! And wood ones at that, I couldn't be happier, 12 fires await for me now! I move back down and loot the rest of the floor, but what I don't understand is, the toilets in the dam aren't the ones without the basin at the top where all the water is stores, so i'm directly getting my drinking water from the toilet bowl :S Blech! I loot the control room and inside the safe... 

image.thumb.png.0a4927cd837484e28a9405e3f75e205b.png

A wool ear wrap! Pretty rare for interloper standards, and its my first accessory. So I stick it one and get a bit more in terms of warmth bonus. I make my way down into the bottom of the dam and find a flare and thats about it. But while heading for the lower dam i notice some simple tools near a barrel, man I can be oblivious sometimes. 

image.thumb.png.2f89fd7fccb242e919ee77cdbe73f347.png

But this makes me wonder if I missed anything else, but I didn't, the dam has some essentials but is just as bare bones as most other places. I make my way down into the lower dam and instantly make my way to winding river for that possible bedroll spawn. I step outside and it snowing lightly. I make my way across the dam and into the frozen river. And scare some bunnies and pick some cattails. By now its very windy and snowy so that basically means a blizzard rolling in soon. I make my way to the cave and...

image.thumb.png.b3c087242a031ca1d762437626ba6f8f.png

Hallelujah!  Bedroll! I must be the luckiest man in the world but I almost always find this thing here. Maybe its a high chance of spawning? I dunno, i'll I care about is my new good condition bedroll. I wonder about staying the night in the cave but its interloper, my clothing sucks, and a blizzard is going to roll in so im most likely just going to freeze to death in my sleep. So I head back outside, pick up more cattails and head towards the transition cave to PV for the night.

image.thumb.png.96c1f6d63590967f3db8f99a1b4dbfa5.png

I make my way into the cave and repair my clothing, now I have a nice +5 to my warmth bonus, definitely not as good as my last interlopers clothing but this its better then nothing. 

image.thumb.png.3c6f3d29b90cd695e546acecdac24d21.png

I go to sleep at 16% condition, and since im only going to recover a meager amount I think ill stay the day at the dam tomorrow to recover more condition. Good night!

DAY 6, How to be a caveman.

I woke up, drank some water, and pondered why it was so warm in here, there was a gaping hole in the cave ceiling. Oh well, video game logic I suppose, when I emerged outside I was met with a blizzard. So I broke down some branches and headed back inside. I don't know how much longer this weather is going to last so I might as well make a fire. 

image.thumb.png.957d12c5bb11cbd5e07c9daca04a5dc0.png

I know the writers for this game are Canadian, and they might have different saying's, but this game has introduced me to so much different things to say when your cold or you've sprained your wrist. Like, this for example, or when your walking with a sprained ankle you say, "That smarts." Like what? You suddenly gained some IQ points cause your ankle snapped? Never mind, anyway looks like my plans for staying in the dam have been killed. I explore the rest of the cave and find 9 coal, which should cover my forging needs. A frozen corpse with its backpack are sitting next to a burned out fire. I find a cooking skill book which I can read later. I start up a fire and begin boiling some reishi and rose hip tea. I then explore the more of the cave, finding a bunch of cairns in the process. 

image.thumb.png.8f0b6449d0f09770b68039d50e44682b.png

Oh goodie, looks like I found the second cairn! Also, why are there so much cairns in this cave and in winding river? The only explanation I have is that a bunch of people from PV came through the cave seeking refuge in ML, and they left behind all these cairns. Or it could be the other way around, ML survivors to PV. Either way, I think my theory makes pretty good sense, what do you think?

image.thumb.png.9ff1ae1efe6c2c152c95dfa0672c169a.png

Finally the blizzard ends and I head back outside. The weather is foggy and snowy but soon the weather clears up and its just snowing. I pick more cattails, find more cairns, dodge a wolf. I make my way across the dam to the other end, Ive done this a million times but I still get nervous doing it. 

image.thumb.png.f2bbb051f5638547b9e9873f1428efb0.png

Man, interloper screenshots are always going to suffer because your hunger will usually always be red. Ah well, I pick some crow feathers off the corpse of a deer. Here is a bit of an obscure TLD tip, if you go into this pipe a box often spawns with clothing, i've gotten some mittens and a hat once when I looted it. 

image.thumb.png.ec07786d5acd77269d42e47b1905b40e.png

Gosh your dramatic Astrid, you'd think she was a theatre actor before the aurora. I head inside and loot the rest of the place, I find a cooking pot, a whetstone, and a copy of frontier shooting guide? Great, act least I can use it for fire starting. I travel to the bottom of the staircase and I find a what I originally wanted to come to the dam for. 

image.thumb.png.ae99e5310c4071c5f33580a187bd9cca.png

Hacksaw! Now I can harvest deer corpses for some boots, Last time I took on forging in the muskeg I had warm clothing to back me up. But not here, not now, so im going to need to do some crafting so I don't freeze. Plus the animal clothing will give me some much needed protection. I spend the rest of the day repairing my clothing, I then leave a cache of supplies in one of the lockers in the entrance. 

image.thumb.png.d03d092133bb8a1f7b175c48fd21f30e.png

I now have +6 to my warmth bonus! thanks wool ear wrap! I go to bed and wake up, ready to face another day. 

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

Days 5 & 6 were so lucky!  Good stuff galore.

Frostbite is my least favorite affliction, so let me wish you are heartfelt "Happy Gloves."  Sorry about your ankles though... I think your survivor was issued a faulty pair.

I know! that bedroll spawn must of been the TLD god's shining down on me. 

I had no idea there can be something in those rusty pipes! I looked in a few of them but never found anything. Thanks for sharing the tip.

16 hours ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Matches! And wood ones at that, I couldn't be happier, 12 fires await for me now!

Somehow, cardboard matches are not found in Interloper. I think they didn't want players to too find 20 matches at once. You'll be only finding wood ones.

3 minutes ago, FunkyFuggerson said:

Hey also, quick question, I already posted this but if anybody is reading this could you help me with getting a clear passage to old spence? I get a lot of really close calls and I want to know if I can avoid those. 

I'll tell you in a moment what I do in that other topic where you asked the question.

Just now, Drifter Man said:

I had no idea there can be something in those rusty pipes! I looked in a few of them but never found anything. Thanks for sharing the tip.

Somehow, cardboard matches are not found in Interloper. I think they didn't want players to too find 20 matches at once. You'll be only finding wood ones.

I'll tell you in a moment what I do in that other topic where you asked the question.

Alright, thanks!

DAY 8, Wabbit Hunting.

In preparation for my muskeg forging trip i've decided to make some rabbit mitts for some extra warmth and protection. Ive ditched the deerskin boots idea as none of the convenient deer corpse's have spawned (Trappers shed, mystery lake overlook) So instead ill just opt for the mitts since there easy enough to get done. So my first bunny rabbit hunting spot is in the little area near the camp office. You know the one, the one you go into to climb up to the fire tower? I stone some rabbits, and luckily no wolf has spawned to pick up on my bunny corpse scent. Next i'm going to travel to the mystery lake overlook to clear up the bunnies there. 

image.thumb.png.eb500f871d541d4ea2a97cc8100f3894.png

Your in my sights you wascally wabbit! But to be honest with you I usually blast these little turds in the face with an arrow. I do use snares on occasion though, like for rabbit grove behind the trappers cabin. It took me a couple of tries but I managed to pelt a rock right in its cute little face. I managed to actually pick it up before it hopped up and ran off. Which usually happens, another thing with bunnies is that I think they shouldn't run in between your feet. I have a rabbit family that lives in my backyard and if they get scared of me and don't really have anywhere to go, (Cause are backyard is mostly fenced) They just scamper around and disappear using some form of bunny super speed. 

image.thumb.png.c73d7b48fdefcfab0cf136b6b6f558ab.png

Any last words? "Squeak, sniffle, sniffle" 

"You were always a poet to the end Mr Bunny..." 

SNAP,  one more step towards some mittens eh? I finish up hunting and gather some sticks. I then go into the mystery lake overlook cave and butcher a bunny corpse. Something I always found off was that if you used your hands, it is faster harvesting gut and fur then a hacksaw. Which I found a bit odd but whatever. I head back down and snap a photo of my many hunting trophies. 

image.thumb.png.0df4d8b72258b160808a8994ddf2fbd5.png

I forgot to mention but I found 2 maple saplings by the dam and since I had a hacksaw took the opportunity to do some chopping. I harvested the gut and fur of the remaining corpses but saved the meat harvesting. Since the weather outside was still clear but windy I set a fire with my mag lens to conserve matches. I then bring a lighted torch into the house to start a fire. I harvest some bunny meat while boiling water, I then cook up the bunny meat. 

image.thumb.png.597b1c253e1760a84ab271f1ef95abc5.png

Ive heard stories of people who got stuck inside this bowl and couldn't get out, even when sleeping. Which is a grave mistake to do since that will save your game, stopping you from reloading to a different save when you weren't in a bowl. While i'm currently using it to dump my sticks in, i'm sure it has killed countless men. I actually tested it out for myself and got out of the bowl again with ease, so I suppose i was spared by the bowls mighty wrath! 

DAY 8, Planning ahead.

So i've decided to go a little bit more in depth with my planning for the forging run, so i'm going to layout the gear i'm bringing and how I plan to tackle it. So I guess I can get some feedback on it. Heres the run down of what i'm going to be bring. I mostly want help on how much firewood I need because last time I didn't bring enough and had to harvest some from the wild. 

15 scrap metal, this will add up to one knife, one hatchet, 14 arrowheads. Im planning on making the knife first, and then arrowheads, then the hatchet. Or half the arrowheads and a hatchet. Im planning on bringing plenty of sticks and picking some up on the way there to warm up the fire, Im going to bring cedar, but I don't know how much yet

2 cloth, For tool making duh

14 coal, seems a bit excessive but thats about 15 hours of fire, which will probably add up either all my arrowheads done, or all my tools done. Plus the coal thats there. This will also light up the fire to 150 degrees. 

1 book, fire starting purposes, may bring 2, but the a crate at old Spence has some accelerant in it so that can be used for emergency fires. 

1 can, pots are to heavy, so a can will make all my water. 

3 tinder plugs, I think this will be enough for fire starting. 

1 23% torch for fires tarting, best I have so it will be used to start the fire. 

X amount of sticks, this number is unknown, because its unknown how much sticks ill pick up on the way there, planning on bring about 30-45 

Heavy hammer, does this need explaining?

2 coffee, emergency adrenaline boosts. 

1 canned goods, for food, would bring more but 2 dog food in the barn. 

cattails. Fooooood! There everywhere so this should mostly cover my needs. 

2 liters of water, Hydration!

x amount of cedar firewood, for keeping the fire alive. 

All in all this adds up to roughly 15-25 kilos of gear, depending on how much I bring, (mostly looking at firewood and coal) I can also break down all the crates there for wood as well but i'm not sure if this is the most efficient way to get wood. So ill be hauling all this gear over to the trappers cabin, ill craft up my mitts, then wait for some good weather and head out! So, can someone give me some tips? 

The way I plan to tackle it is watch out for the wolves that can spawn when you enter then ill loop down to the high blind and see if the wolfs are patrolling near the bunkhouses. if they are then I should have a clean getaway towards the barn. If not then they will probably be patrolling around the farmstead and near it. if so I can probably try and rush in since I hear the barn is wolf proof (they get scared and run away) id like some confirmation on this. so If they do rush at me from the barn I can probably just get up the planks and be safe. I think? I plan to just head out the same way I came in, or perhaps another way out. Ill probably stay 1-2 days in the barn forging. Ill get back to ML and then go into the trappers cabin. 

image.thumb.png.cbb99df17089f225d81985721b4b4353.png

Ah yes, I forgot to mention, im bringing my bedroll along to. So heres the final weight, act least right now, Ive decided to bring 4 cedar firewood for now but will most likely bring 8

So I did the math and heres what I got for my current firewood.

sticks, 337.5 minutes = 6 hours

4 cedar = 4 hours

14 coal = 14 hours

Added up this makes 24 hours, and ill need 15 hours of burn time to accomplish my forging. But I also need time for sleeping. But since I cant really forge late into the night since ill be a bit tired when I get there and then ill be forging making me more exhausted so when I sleep it will most likely be late noon or nightfall. But since outside fire time is increases when its 10 Celsius and your sleeping I might only need to bring this firewood. But to be safe, ill bring 3-4 more cedar, theres also the coal there. So I think this should all work out smoothly if I get there safe.

Something I always found off was that if you used your hands, it is faster harvesting gut and fur then a hacksaw.

I think guts are actually faster with hacksaw (30 mins vs 40 mins) but you're definitely right about hide (1 hours vs 40 mins). I prefer to use hands for either.

1 can, pots are to heavy, so a can will make all my water. 

You'll find it hard to make water in the can - it needs about 40 minutes and all forging is done in one go (min 1 hour for arrowheads). Or is there a way to interrupt forging and continue?

3 tinder plugs, I think this will be enough for fire starting.

Three failures and you're stuck freezing for 5 minutes, harvesting a stick for tinder. But it's a matter of preference :) Grab some cattail heads on the way.

Good luck!

DAY 9, Demise

As you have read in the title I just met my demise to a wolf. While going from the trappers to the camp office one jumped me and since i'm pretty much at 50% condition most of the time I was taken out with relative ease. I was really bummed out, but I suppose all good things have to come to an end :(. I feel bad that this was cut so short so ill be starting a brand new world, where I hopefully WONT die! Well I know I will, just not instantly right now. But I suppose all interloper players have to hold loosely and care little about each play through, knowing it could end at any moment. Perhaps there is a power in not caring, but I certainly care! I was pretty lucky and got a lot of the essentials. Note to future self, go on wolf rampage once you acquire a bow. 

DAY 1, Desolate Hope

image.png

Ive started in desolation point, in front of a beautiful sunrise. This is bad, very bad, desolation point means wolfs, lots of them. And if I survive here then that means running the wolf gauntlet of Old island connector, then to be greeted by more wolves in CH. But no time to dwell on the future, for time is of the essence! I head over to Hibernia processing, (AKA wolf central)  I find some jerky in a boat and then I move on to the trailers, I find a whetstone which i'm sure is a guaranteed spawn. Underpants? Well thats certainly new, I slip on my new pair of thermal undies and head back out. Notice a wolf, it doesn't notice me, so I get into the Hibernia as fast as possible. Im still freezing in the plant but i'm confident ill act least find some article of clothing. 

image.thumb.png.60d0232ffc5c9f5b0244aa2ca2700ee1.png

Look at that! archery skill book and some wood matches. In the filing cabinets I find some fleece mitts which are much appreciated, and then I get onto the little alcove ceiling thingy next to this. A corpse with its pack lays there waiting for me to loot it, I rifle through the contents and fine a ragged hoodie! Its in rough shape but it does the trick, I begin to warm up. I make my way into the bunk room and don't find anything, while walking around I fall through a hole in the floor. I smash down onto the floor and start looting the workbench. Nothing besides a flare under it, which is very nice.  I check the safe and find some work boots and a wool scarf! No tools on the racks though, ah well, beggars cant be choosers. I loot the rest of Hibernia, sadly no bedroll, but I do find accelerant and another whetstone. I find some firewood and leave, more wolves. Decide to check out scruffy's lair now that I have a flare. The reason i'm walking into a murder trap? Bedroll, the hunter's corpse can be clutching a bedroll instead of the guaranteed rifle on earlier difficulties. As I walk there I notice something that i've wanted to talk about for a while. 

image.thumb.png.022642f6429c0ab595c366c4ff5922a3.png

Its this broken texture on the broken bridge, it also appears on the top. Unless this is supposed to be shiny, smooth, and white? The only explanation is that a yeti got bored and managed to smash and perfectly smooth a bunch of snow onto this bridge. As I head into scruffy's house of death I stop to consider, "is it worth it?" But then again, i've got nothing to live for. I light my flare and step in, and to my surprise scruffy isn't right at the entrance to murder me. I make my way up to the hunters grave and find...

image.thumb.png.af7ea5cc190e62ec1d38d75026249257.png

Nothing, I suppose the hunter got wise and decided not to walk into a dark cave with a wolf. Looking down into the large cave room below me I see a wolf's silhouette glint. It then awns on me that maybe the reason there isn't a corpse here is because no one has wandered into here yet, and that perhaps, i'm the hunter. I take note and book it, scruffy goes arf but is stalled by my flare. I make it out alive, but without a bedroll :( I make my way out onto the ice then cut back up to the lighthouse, I was hoping to start a fire with the flare but it drained out before I could reach the lighthouse. 

image.thumb.png.d5eb35e1b30be000c5c02f02fb21120d.png

Opening the creaky door I step inside and begin looting. Theres some herbal tea in the drawer! Perfect for all my condition needs. I loot the rest of the place but loot is meager, but one thing I do find... 

image.thumb.png.bb3d028ef536b177f757d91878a4a345.png

On interloper I know of only 2 static stim spawns, one at the crashed plane in Milton, and one here. Im pretty sure theres a discussion relating to were all these bad boys are so don't bother to tell me the location. I do find a sewing skill book up in the in the actual lighthouse bit, which is just really annoying to get up to level 5, i've seen day 500 runs with it only at 3 or 4. I get back outside and walk along the ice until I can get to the portion of the road that doesn't house wolves. In my paranoia not to get caught by wolves my own stomach scares me. It rumbles hungrily and I instinctively press the menu button. This is muscle memory from my first days playing, wolves scared me so bad I would have to press the menu button just to get a breather and to think of a plan. I make my way to the mine and start a fire within, drinking some well needed water and making some torches. I find some lantern fuel and some wood matches in the entrance of the mine, which will prove to be usefull in due time.  While traversing the long corridors of collapsing stone I come upon a sad sight. 

image.thumb.png.712070cb5d5b5080518bf7fa16d6944e.png

Poor soul must of been wandering around then his way back collapsed, he got stuck in between these bars and a wall of stone. He tried to break free but failed, dying alone, in complete darkness. But his death was not in vain, because now I have a shiny new pry bar! Once I reach the end of the mine I dump about 21 pieces of coal which is like, A LOT. Not surprising though, I mean it is a coal mine after all. Now is the time of reckoning, I step outside and am instantly mauled to death by a wolf. Just kidding, but thats what I expected the entire time while walking around.  I make it over to the Harris home and find another corpse with a pry bar. So picking it up I head into the basement, inside I find plenty of clothing! Well just a T-Shirt and a sweatshirt, but there still useful. Not really the T-shirt but the sweatshirt will give me some wind protection. A wolf pack starts to bark at me so I hurry my butt over to CH. There my torch is blown out by oncoming wind, and then it starts to snow. So this means a blizzard, but soon after my torch dies the wind calms down a bit. So I just guess mother nature didn't want me to have a torch to face the oncoming wolf hordes. A bunch of wolf's are hanging around the gas station but by some miracle of god I sneak in undetected. I loot the place and find meager foodstuffs but also some 4 very nice items, a wool toque, a whetstone, simple tools, aaaaaaand...

image.thumb.png.af4fe2c2d4b64f4cf77f65772316510f.png

A good condition, full of fuel lantern! Isn't that a nice find eh? 

DkQvIxYU8AA7OWr.jpgI have a total of 8 to my warmth bonus, which is better then my last characters warmth when she died. So it looks like I got lucky and scored some good clothing. When I step outside a the weather is much worse, but I don't have time to think about it as a wolf almost gets me. I flee to the townsite and end up in a blizzard on the ice. I make my way to a fishing hut, exhausted and freezing, I start a fire there as I don't have anywhere else to go. 

DkQtaciVAAAnZ0Y.jpg

Huddling next to a fire boiling water, I try and think of a plan. But nothing comes to mind, i'm exhausted and hungry, its night time during a blizzard and theres wolves everywhere. So I boil more water and eventually the blizzard blows out and dies. I take out some torches and leave the hut. 

DkQtgB4VsAACqh4.jpg

I step into the long dark... An endless icy void awaits. A wolf howls ominously in the distance, followed shortly by more. It's an endless cacophony of starving hunger, of lingering death. I realize how close all those howls were... How lost I am in this silent darkness. My only protection a dying torch in my frozen hands, I stumble around in the dark feebly. I spot the outline of an island on the distance, but is it just a mirage made by a soon to be dead man? My condition is not looking good, what was that? The shine of a wolf's green eyes? But once I reach the top of the hill I find salvation. 

DkQtlLsVAAAyuu_.jpg

image.png.292e1a54d0c2510b18770ca1ef97f4ee.pngJust another day, In the long dark. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

EDIT: Im sorry but I cant seem to get these images above to stop appearing, I have no idea why its doing this, even when I delete them and save they just reappear, the only way I can get rid of them is to delete all of the images. :(  

DAY 2, Fishing town shakedown 

image.thumb.png.ac7d612e3219c434971cf83dbf93851d.png

After surviving Day 1's horrible adventures I find myself in a TLD themed "The Mist" spinoff were theres just a bunch of wolves instead of mutant crabs everywhere. Since I am in pursuit of a hammer and hacksaw the nearest location for one of the two is the fishing village. Under its outdoor work bench a hammer can spawn, so I might as well check it out. If it doesn't spawn there will still hopefully be some good loot awaiting me there, a sewing kit comes to mind. So heading down onto the ice I loot some fishing huts, there mostly empty, the occasional cloth, hook, or reclaimed wood crossing my path. I follow some crow calls over to the town and find a rater cheery sight. 

image.thumb.png.81030a8da67f5549fbc599e859648416.png

another human popsicle, and even worse, an empty one at that! I have to be careful of checking out the town since a bear enjoys to frequent it. I once saw a clip of someone crafting arrows only for a bear to zoom on by. I check out some of the towns houses and I find some painkillers, candy bars, and an extra pair of work boots. Useful in case my current pair are torn up. But once I get near the workbench I find...

image.thumb.png.97e264e6100db63077206d0cabb85317.png

Well that was easy! And I get a rope to boot! Now I just need a hacksaw and everything will be complete. I walk back to jack rabbit island, noticing a nice little branch sapling sitting alone, ill come back for you my precious. I wanted to check out another ice fishing hut but a wolf dissuaded me. I decide to go beach combing since the weather is abnormally warm, all I find is some reclaimed wood, nothing much. But as I cross the back of jack rabbit island I find quite the surprise!

image.thumb.png.12c4cc6ba69c9d19d13964a1aa69c0d4.png

Well I just found a fire striker and a hammer on the same day! In the poor sap's pack a skill book resides. I go over to the rifle fishing hut and find another skill book, this one on fishing. Man i'm getting overloaded with skill books! I spend the rest of the nice weather breaking up branches for a fire I plan to make. In my idiocy I start a fire not using a torch, fail, use a match to start a torch but forget I have to hold down A making me waste a match, I then finally use a match properly. 3 matches used, just for 1 fire :( But those matches weren't in vain, I started up the fire and managed to boil well into the night, but wind did blow out my fire eventually. It happened when I popped some tea into a can, but don't worry, I saved my tea. As the wind rolled in and killed my fire, an aurora showed up being all spoooooooky. 

image.thumb.png.76ba81f7e695afddb0dd3d270cf579d9.png

That moon looks a bit to close... like way to close. How is coastal highway not having a tsunami right now? The tides flooding everything, perhaps the aurora amplifies the moons appearance? A wolf howl's, reminding me that it is best to get inside. 

DAY 3, Bear Creek

The creek leading up to the waterfall next to the mystery lake transition zone is an interlopers jackpot. There are cattails, bunnies, deer, mushrooms, sticks. Everything a man could need in one place, but it is a sirens call. A bear lurks the creek, pouncing on unsuspecting survivors wanting to get there fill of crisp cattail. Being the easily manipulated I am I decided that the best course of action is to check it out. My canned goods will run out, and then what? Well Ill have cattails! Well actually going to be using the cattails to save on canned food. 

image.thumb.png.7fdb82fb7abdad1ebf538420b1976795.png

I was hoping that the wolf who likes to patrol here would not appear and it seems my prayers have been answered. Although I have to say i'm disappointed by the beach combing yield, 2 scrap metal? Asking for a fish is to much I suppose. I make my way up the crik picking cattails dotted around in the ice. I here cracking and crunching but the bear doesn't appear to be in view, wherever he is he's making me pretty damn paranoid. I make my way to the campground picking those yummy Reishi mushrooms. I don't have any antibiotics so boiling these puppies up will be most useful. Making my way over to the rabbit's grove I loot some more wild edibles but i'm freezing so I head inside. Nothing of note, I was really hoping for a sewing kit, but when I check under the bed... 

image.thumb.png.387c2ed5408c1c3c98906d787ab97b38.png

Well that's a whole nother' twelve fires! I spend the rest of the day going farther up the creek gathering more cattails. I find a frozen corpse and a lump of coal but besides that I don't find any other loot. I head home around dusk and I break down some branches. 

image.thumb.png.062e61f7d4c8c5e4aca4876aa13da78c.png

Sweet dreams.

DAY 4, Bunny Slaughtering

image.thumb.png.20cec116c52ac7ef570d6bf7e0f6bc94.png

Sorry little guy, but its you or me. Squeak! Snap!  Thats how the day mostly went, running around like a madman, snapping necks left and right. I got about 2 bunnies killed and harvested. Once the weather cleared up I went down to the campground and picked some reishi mushrooms I forgot about. 

image.thumb.png.b272ab808c9fb9031e8fca4a905dc4c3.png

Isn't that a nice view? I was running low on water so I decided that it was best to gather sticks and firewood for a fire. I decided to set it up behind a large rock that was which would protect me from some wind. Looks like I got lucky, after boiling some water I blizzard rolled in right above me, just barely passing over my fire and blowing it out. 

image.thumb.png.1d69d80512182e975fc3f686e4c5da27.png

Good thing this fire is warm... I spend the rest of the day boiling water. But during the night the blizzard shifted and quickly blew my fire out. I go to sleep, planning on going back to jackrabbit island tomorrow. 

DAY 5, Home base, Home safe

Not much of new's this day, but as I headed down back to jackrabbit I came across a nice cluster of branch sapling's.

Dka1xehU4AAgv1R.jpg

I come across a burned cabin with rose hips, picking them I mountain goat down onto the road next to the fishing village. Making my way to the island I wolf blocks my path. 

Dka16lmU4AARnQc.jpg

See that speck? Well anyway this means it's time to head around to the other way. I make my way home just as a blizzard rolls in, so I take some time to smash everything in the living room into smithereens!  

Archived