Is TLD multi-core ?

Krait

As in title.

I have an LCD display on my keyboard that can display CPU usage along with mem usage (etc..). My CPU load never goes above 17% on a 6 core 8600K (4.8 at all cores oc'ed).

Also using RivaTuner to keep track on loads and temperatures (We have this heatwave in Europe atm..)

FPS is at constant 60, so that's not an issue, just out of curiousity.

(Great fun playing TLD during a heatwave!)

Hallo (Hello) Blinkin; have read somewhere that CPU is more important than GPU in this game (FAQ-RTFM), maybe it's the physics part of the Engine?

2 cores sounds reasonable, no way for me to confirm, though... including Wiki and various Unity Engine searches.

Groeten!

(PS: Again, framerate is not an issue, just curious.. Soundbanks need buffering after reboot, that's all... Moved TLD from HDD to SSD via 'Steammover' using my GoG version.. It works, even the GoG updates!)

PPS: Yes, the heat wave in W-Europe is real, almost longing for -10c, tbh..

Guest jeffpeng

A quick look into the task manager reveals a whopping 74 threads running just standing in the hunting lodge. What all those threads are used for is clearly rather hard to tell, but being Unity (which is fairly well threaded) I guess a lot of what is happening in the background is done in worker threads (rendering, physics, objects). So while I don't expect to TLD to scale as well to the available cores as, let's say, AotS, it's making fairly good use of them.

That being said: even my 7 years old (!!) FX 6300 (Bulldozer V2 aka Piledriver, 3C/6T CMT, 3.5GHz) I still keep around is as bored with the game as its vastly more powerful Ryzen 1600X cousin, at most showing 25% (which is more than one core, but barely). Considering the FX6300 really is the opposite of an IPC monster (and arguably even worse than @Blinkin's even older 1100T) I have a hard time seeing TDL being bottlenecked by the CPU unless you try to run it on something very old or very mobile. Actually I should try running it on my Z8350. I bet it would even by playable with low GFX.

AMD 4130FX @ 3.8 Ghz (no oc) Quad Core.
NVIDIA 740GT (2GB MSI v3)
12GB DDR3 1600 RAM (dual channel, like it matters)

( Desktop )

Game uses all 4 cores equally, and does not heat my CPU or GPU up at all. Which is great, since both have a high-end cap of 70°C before BSoD and shut down happens.  Which isn't much, compared to high-end limits on much newer HW. I usually see around 50-55°C max on the GPU, 30°C max on the CPU, which has an overly protective cooling system (water cooled). 

Yeah, Rosie is 6 years old, and still running this game, mixed Medium-High settings, 45-60 fps (usually closer to 60), as long as I turn SSAO off, completely. Shadows are on, and actually set up fairly high. Amazing optimization passes have been done. 2 years ago when I first started playing this, I could not run the game over 30fps if I had shadows enabled, all Medium settings, and everything turned down as low as possible, or off.  The new region is still the one that drops my fps the most, and heats up the GPU and CPU the most, but it also has the most going on in it. Adding the additional 4GB of RAM did help too, though.

I also have a 2 (going on 3) year old Alienware 17, which is made for gaming, but runs basically everything like crud, and is an overpriced, overbuilt, overheating office machine now, for the most part. I love my toaster Rosie, and I will keep her, until she completely stops working. Reliable Rosie. For now. ;)

Guest jeffpeng

Been looking at it a bit longer, and in larger areas (with presumably more things in it) threads spike towards 90 and 50% on the FX 6300. So yeah, it's pretty heavily multithreaded.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived