Constant panting is driving me nuts

nuhb

If you can't regenerate more than 50% of your total stamina, your character is stuck panting. This usually happens when you wear a double bear coat or have the broken ribs affliction, it is especially annoying after climbing a rope because your character is then stuck breathing heavily. Since I dont know if this is intended or a bug, I posted it here, would be great if the devs could take a look at that!

17 hours ago, JErosion said:

honestly i'd take off the bear coat when making the climb you wont freeze immediately. Its like the waterfall cave entrance in  HRV, strip down before going through the water

Why take off the bear coat to make a climb? It weighs less when you wear it than when you carry it. And wearing or carrying, it still is counted into your total carry weight. I am not sure why I am seeing so many people ere, and on Steam, recommend getting naked before a climb, and carrying your clothes instead of wearing them. Going under the waterfalls, or beachcombing.... yeah, strip, get wet, put your dry clothes back on when done. But get naked and colder to climb? Am I missing something here?

I think there's some confusion here.  Clothing does reduce your sprint bar, and yes your climb bar and sprint bar share the same stamina, but they are separate entities.  You can load yourself down to 50% sprint, grab a rope, and once you start climbing, the full circle of stamina is available to use for that climb.  Once you reach the end of the rope, bam, the red chunk reappears.  So from that angle, taking your clothes off might actually negatively impact your stamina recovery, because without the red bar eating up a chunk of your circle, it takes you longer to reach full.  If your "full" is less than a full circle, you reach that point quicker.  Yet your climb bar still treats that as 100%.

Edit: I think this would be a little more intuitive if the red part of the bar were at the END of the circle, rather than the beginning.  It's not so much that it reduces your maximum, it presents you with an early minimum.  Try to visualize it like...100% is 100%, for climbing and sprinting.  But if your clothes are bulky, 30% might be functionally 0% for sprinting, while still counting as 30% available for climbing.

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I think there's some confusion here.  Clothing does reduce your sprint bar, and yes your climb bar and sprint bar share the same stamina, but they are separate entities.  You can load yourself down to 50% sprint, grab a rope, and once you start climbing, the full circle of stamina is available to use for that climb.  Once you reach the end of the rope, bam, the red chunk reappears.  So from that angle, taking your clothes off might actually negatively impact your stamina recovery, because without the red bar eating up a chunk of your circle, it takes you longer to reach full.  If your "full" is less than a full circle, you reach that point quicker.  Yet your climb bar still treats that as 100%.

I can confirm that having lived for (in-game) months in TWM, experimenting with all sorts of ways to make climbs easier.

9 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Why take off the bear coat to make a climb? It weighs less when you wear it than when you carry it. And wearing or carrying, it still is counted into your total carry weight. I am not sure why I am seeing so many people ere, and on Steam, recommend getting naked before a climb, and carrying your clothes instead of wearing them. Going under the waterfalls, or beachcombing.... yeah, strip, get wet, put your dry clothes back on when done. But get naked and colder to climb? Am I missing something here?

This. Stripping anything before a climb really only has a positive effect if you leave it behind, and I think everyone can agree that reaching a mountain top naked with your clothes down there is a pretty bad idea :D 

On 27.7.2018 at 6:27 PM, nuhb said:

If you can't regenerate more than 50% of your total stamina, your character is stuck panting. This usually happens when you wear a double bear coat or have the broken ribs affliction, it is especially annoying after climbing a rope because your character is then stuck breathing heavily. Since I dont know if this is intended or a bug, I posted it here, would be great if the devs could take a look at that!

Honestly I kinda find it rather befitting to keep panting like I was carrying two bears on my back because I AM. Unless you desperately need the warmth you could swap one bearskin for a moose hide as an outer layer (which is my preferred outer layer in general). Depending on the difficulty you're playing wearing an expedition parka or even "just" a military/mariners coat underneath might also do the trick. 

Plus having broken ribs actually is a really serious and possibly life threatening condition, and I guess we can be lucky that in-game all we do is pant a bit. Alter all you got flattened by half a ton of moose.

Just my 2 pennies.

8 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

This. Stripping anything before a climb really only has a positive effect if you leave it behind, and I think everyone can agree that reaching a mountain top naked with your clothes down there is a pretty bad idea :D 

When hauling my HRV and Milton hoard back to Coastal Highway, I did this to make fewer trips.  I used that little Milton Park office as a staging area, then would load myself up so that if I dropped all of my clothes (except the satchel) I would have just shy of 35kg of gear on me.  Then climb down the rope, head across that small area leading to ML, and drop my gear at the bottom of that rope.  Walk back, climb back up, get dressed, then return to the park office to rest and recover. Then do it all again.

Once everything was at the bottom of the rope, I would repeat the process, carrying everything up, using the transition cave to rest and recover. Dropping 9kg-ish of clothes prior to a climb can shave two or three climbs off of the total haul process, depending on how big the pile is.

Guest jeffpeng

Yeah if it is short "cargo lift" I've done that as well if the weather permitted it. But in that case you actually immediately climb back up (or down, depending).

Archived