Sign in to follow this  
Willy Pete

My take on the idea of a compass...

2 posts in this topic

I've seen the compass come up many times here, and for good reason: it's a common tool in any survival game. The real question about this one is: would it still work in the quiet apocalypse?

Personally, I think that it would for the most part. I don't know much of the story behind the Aurora, but my thoughts on the matter were that the original flare acted similar to an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) and fried any and all electrical devices on earth. As far as I'm concerned this isn't something that would render a compass useless as it doesn't require any wires or batteries to work.

Now, maybe the poles got messed up, I don't know, but I don't at this time think that whatever it is that happened is some ever-present phenomena that would render a compass useless. That said, if I were to add a compass to the game it would work, but have a slight 'tick' to it where every few seconds (or maybe sooner) the needle would jerk to the right or left.

If, however, I'm wrong and this event is some ever-present event that would render a compass useless, I think that it could still have one use: predicting when an Aurora is going to be active.

Even if it did work, it would still be cool to have some mechanic where perhaps a few hours before an Aurora the compass starts to wander or spin more rapidly, reaching a crescendo once the Aurora starts up. It would be cool to be walking about at dusk and pull up the compass to see it going ham and know that an Aurora was going to take place in a few hours.

What do you guys think?

Yeah... part of my head canon is that the First Flare was a result of the earth's magnetic field commencing a pole flip, which would remove a serious protection we have against the solar wind. Sort of a perfect storm... a pole flip commences just as the sun fires a Coronal Mass Ejection event our way. Even with the magnetic field a CME would create havoc; without it, it would immediately throw the world back into the stone age.

And, if the poles are reversing, no compass will work.

• Upvote 1