Bear didn't bleed out

Pisces0314

This happened to me two times so far. I shot a bear with my hunting rifle near Quonset Garage. The "rifle skill" icon popped up. So I am sure I did hit him. I entered a vehicle immediately after shooting him so as to prevent being mauled. I waited a while for him to wander away. Then, I got out of the vehicle to check if there was blood trail. Yes, there was. Then I entered Quonset Garage and slept for a whole night (at least 10 hours). Next morning, I found him still wandering around his den. Obviously, he didn't bleed out. Now, I am confused. I searched wiki and the longest possible time for a bear to bleed out is just 8 hours. Is this a bug?:|

I'm not 100% positive about this but I always avoid indoor loading screen areas while waiting for an animal to bleed out. I'm told this makes the wounded animal despawn (after one hour indoors I believe) and when it spawns again, the wound is healed and the animal never bleeds out.

Next time, don't go to the Quonset Garage, go to a fishing hut.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I'm not 100% positive about this but I always avoid indoor loading screen areas while waiting for an animal to bleed out. I'm told this makes the wounded animal despawn (after one hour indoors I believe) and when it spawns again, the wound is healed and the animal never bleeds out.

I just tested this--shot the bear that wanders the ice near Misanthrope's (I shot him in the butt to avoid an instant kill), then went inside Misanthropes and passed 5 hours.  Went back outside, bear was still wandering around, although I did spot several drops of blood, indicating he was still injured.  Shot him in the butt again, went back inside Misanthropes, slept the night.  Came out in the morning, bear was gone.

So I'm not entirely certain of the specific mechanics of this, but yes going indoors is still counterproductive in terms of bleed-out time.  I don't have enough information to be certain, but it seems that bleed-out occurs whether you are indoors or outdoors, but if the bear actually dies while you're indoors, it is removed from the game instead of dropping dead on the ground for you to harvest.

Edit: I just shot another bear in the butt, this time the one between the Coastal Townsite and Abandoned Lookout.  I passed time and slept indoors, and my "bears killed" count did not increase.  I exited the house, and boom, the bears killed count increased by 1.  I found him on the ice, 10% frozen. I then ran off to the last bear kill, and found him respawned already.

So....results are highly variable it seems.  I still haven't nailed down the exact mechanics, but now it seems that sometimes passing time indoors makes you lose your bear and he respawns a day later, and other times the bear dies on the ice and is waiting for you to eat.  I...I just don't know. Personally, for future bear hunts, I will play it safe and tail the beast outdoors.  Going indoors is just too much of a risk right now.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

So....results are highly variable it seems.  I still haven't nailed down the exact mechanics, but now it seems that sometimes passing time indoors makes you lose your bear and he respawns a day later, and other times the bear dies on the ice and is waiting for you to eat.  I...I just don't know. Personally, for future bear hunts, I will play it safe and tail the beast outdoors.  Going indoors is just too much of a risk right now.

Thanks for checking, I'll continue to stay outdoors while hunting too.

6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I just tested this--shot the bear that wanders the ice near Misanthrope's (I shot him in the butt to avoid an instant kill), then went inside Misanthropes and passed 5 hours.  Went back outside, bear was still wandering around, although I did spot several drops of blood, indicating he was still injured.  Shot him in the butt again, went back inside Misanthropes, slept the night.  Came out in the morning, bear was gone.

So I'm not entirely certain of the specific mechanics of this, but yes going indoors is still counterproductive in terms of bleed-out time.  I don't have enough information to be certain, but it seems that bleed-out occurs whether you are indoors or outdoors, but if the bear actually dies while you're indoors, it is removed from the game instead of dropping dead on the ground for you to harvest.

Edit: I just shot another bear in the butt, this time the one between the Coastal Townsite and Abandoned Lookout.  I passed time and slept indoors, and my "bears killed" count did not increase.  I exited the house, and boom, the bears killed count increased by 1.  I found him on the ice, 10% frozen. I then ran off to the last bear kill, and found him respawned already.

Thanks for your information. I'll try this strategy.

When I end up clobbering a wolf with an hatchet I patch myself up if needed and then mend the most damaged clothing item, which is a way to pass time. I usually see the wolf running around blurred as I work and then find it dead. A good way to pass time is doing something useful, of course if no other menaces are around.

• 3 months later...

I had this happen with a wolf, except I didn't go into an interior loading area. I just decided to harvest a dear corpse that was nearby... All the bears I've shot in the most recent sandbox mode game have been kills and I've followed or stayed near while waiting for it to die.

55 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

I had this happen with a wolf, except I didn't go into an interior loading area. I just decided to harvest a dear corpse that was nearby... All the bears I've shot in the most recent sandbox mode game have been kills and I've followed or stayed near while waiting for it to die.

Since the original post was created, HL has re-vamped bleeding out.  We used to be able to shoot something, pass time for an hour and it would drop dead at the same spot.  Now, you have to track it and wait Real-Time.

7 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Since the original post was created, HL has re-vamped bleeding out.  We used to be able to shoot something, pass time for an hour and it would drop dead at the same spot.  Now, you have to track it and wait Real-Time.

Except for one major issue with that... The last bear I bagged, I read books while I waited for it to die...

You can pass time (or read a book), etc. but (like it used to be) the bear won't be in the same place once you're done with your flavor of passing time.  In the new system, if I choose to pass time somehow, I usually have to rely on crows to tell me where the body is, since the tracks and blood have disappeared.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, hozz1235 said:

You can pass time (or read a book), etc. but (like it used to be) the bear won't be in the same place once you're done

A related question; when a bear is bow-hit with an arrow it tends to begin an attack, but often a quick second bow hit will cause the bear to flee...at this point, is it safe to pass time or is the first attack still a threat while passing time?
(In other words, can we turtle by just passing time) :coffee: 

Edited by s7mar7in

Hello, everyone!

On 21. 7. 2018 at 1:56 PM, Drifter Man said:

Can confirm this is my experience most of the time as well. Seems that there is a chance, some bug that resets the animal if you go indoors, wait there, and then go outdoors again. Also, though I am not sure if that is the case anymore, there used to be a bug that sometimes, during changes in weather, the animals will despawn and respawn again later, cured of their injuries. This used to be really common with Aurora, but my experience is that if the weather goes into the "blizzard" mode while you are inside, or outside in a different zone, the animals outside in the zones around seem to despawn. 
This can be useful to know as you dont have to worry about animal attacks while moving around in blizzard - at the same time, if you had a bleeding animal, it may be despawned this way.

But it would help if someone were to confirm this. My observations in the game have not always been accurate.

I usually wait around a campfire or inside a car for that animal to bleed out.

15 hours ago, s7mar7in said:

A related question; when a bear is bow-hit with an arrow it tends to begin an attack, but often a quick second bow hit will cause the bear to flee...at this point, is it safe to pass time or is the first attack still a threat while passing time?
(In other words, can we turtle by just passing time) :coffee: 

In my experience, if an animal is "fleeing" you can pass time, but if it stops it's fleeing near enough to you, you could be attacked (just like any other time).

• Upvote 1

Just some weirdness with a deer. According to the wiki unless you just hit a foot the bleedout time should be under 1 hour. Shot a deer near the fishing camp, then went crafting at the outdoor workbench for some hours. I checked the journal and it didn't register a deer kill. I didn't go indoors, but I guess this counts as passing time

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

Just some weirdness with a deer. According to the wiki unless you just hit a foot the bleedout time should be under 1 hour. Shot a deer near the fishing camp, then went crafting at the outdoor workbench for some hours. I checked the journal and it didn't register a deer kill. I didn't go indoors, but I guess this counts as passing time

What probably happened to you is known as a "graze" shot. 
These happen on occasion if you hit the animal by simply "nicking" them with the projectile. If this happens with an arrow, the arrow is not stuck in the animal, but continues on and buries into the ground, or is repelled away if it lands on hard surface, like ice, for example.

If you hit a graze shot, you will:
get the skill point for hitting the animal. 
The animal will act as if it was hit, it will flee, and a particle of blood appears.
The arrow flies away.
(not sure about this) - the animal loses HP as if it were hit.
Most importantly: the animal is NOT bleeding.
There is no "blood trail" left behind the animal.

once the hit animal escapes far enough from you, it will stop running away and starts acting normally again. 

It is very easy to hit graze shots if you are used to shooting at animals that are facing you head on, or butt-on. It is just a matter of hitting too high or too much into a side.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 1

On 22/07/2018 at 5:35 AM, ajb1978 said:

I just shot another bear in the butt, this time the one between the Coastal Townsite and Abandoned Lookout.  I passed time and slept indoors, and my "bears killed" count did not increase.  I exited the house, and boom, the bears killed count increased by 1. 

Just to confirm this exact behaviour.

Shot a bear near Trapper’s Homestead. Then tracked it for what seemed hours waiting for it to drop. Blood trail confirmed that it was a good hit and the bear was bleeding. In the end fatigue and bad weather meant I had to return to the cabin to sleep. In the morning I checked my stats and my bear kill count was still at zero. Got really annoyed so checked this forum to find out why I didn’t have a kill, and then read this post. Returned to game, exited the cabin, checked my stats and the bear kill count had increased by one. Found it dead in it’s cave near Max’s Last Stand.

1 hour ago, Czhilli said:

read this post. Returned to game, exited the cabin, checked my stats and the bear kill count had increased by one. Found it dead in it’s cave near Max’s Last Stand.

Well done @Czhilli, and Welcome to the forums!
I have had to use my Journal Stats like you described many times due to blizzard or doubting myself. Almost seems worthwhile for the HDT sound fx developers to add a very loud bear roar echoing through the entire region each time the bears killed stat increases by (1)…
Good hunting my friend. :coffee:

1 hour ago, s7mar7in said:

Well done @Czhilli, and Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the welcome.

My first bear hunt, over a year ago now, failed due to the bear despawning after I went inside to sleep. I’ve just returned to the game and started a new Stalker run. Wasn’t sure if the bug had been fixed, so I was reluctant to halt my tracking and go inside, but I was forced to. On waking and not seeing a confirmed kill in the stats I was initially annoyed and started searching bear bleed out times and bugged kills, which brought me to this thread. Thanks to @ajb1978 for alerting me to the idea of leaving the cabin.

Is the bug fixed for good? I actually quite like the game play of tracking the bear while it bleeds out. But, having to avoid going indoors because it might bug out does rankle. While tracking this last bear I wanted to pop into the cabin to get extra painkillers and even though the bear was in sight I was worried it might bug out and loose me my kill. I love that this game can make you think twice about the simplest action but I don’t want to do it because I’m worried about a bug.

• 3 years later...
On 11/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, Czhilli said:

Is the bug fixed for good? I actually quite like the game play of tracking the bear while it bleeds out. But, having to avoid going indoors because it might bug out does rankle. 

I know I'm resurrecting a verrrry old thread, but felt it made sense. To confirm the bear bleed out issue still exists. Happened to me today in Ash Canyon.

What I relate here is basically correct but not necessarily so in your experience.  YMMV.

Since you gave no details, I assume that, after wounding the bear, you entered a building like the Miner's Folly cabin or the Foreman's retreat cabin, spent some time there, like a few hours, then came out to find the bear not only still alive but unwounded.  

When you entered the cabin, the outside world unspawned. At that point the game noted the time and, if you spent more than a game hour inside then came out, it considered the game state (such as what was happening around Miner's Folly when you entered the cabin) as invalid so when it spawned the area it then checked the status of certain things like whether an animal had been bleeding. 

If, by the time the character emerged back into the world, the animal would have bled out, then the animal spawns and dies (typically if the carcass was quickly found it would only be partially frozen because of when it "died"). If the animal would not have bled out then it spawns unwounded.  

I think Hinterland had "corrected" the oversight that led to sleeping indoors "healing" the bear by putting in a test about whether the bleeding animal would have bled out but did not make once the animal bleeds it will always keep bleeding.  

So the advice would be don't go inside if one can avoid it.  If one has to go inside, stay there either as short a time as possible (i.e. much less than a continuous game hour) or for as long as possible (to try to get past the point where it would have bled out).  There may be circumstances that cause this advice to be invalid but I do not know of any right now though I speculate that if you went far enough away on other errands that the Miner's Folly area unloaded then that might also trigger this problem.  Again, YMMV.  

Good luck and good hunting. 

Edited by UTC-10
Eliminated wording that could be construed as insulting. Sorry.
  • Upvote 2

@UTC-10

Thank you for supplying such a detailed explanation.

Indeed I did enter Miner’s.

I just wanted people to be aware that going inside for a longer period of time still causes the bleed out issue, losing the kill. I stayed and slept indoors after trying to leave quickly had me face to face with an angry bear.

The bear should have bled out because I hit it three times with a "blood shot", twice in the head/neck area, before I was forced to sleep in the cabin.  It did not respawn dead and frozen.

I've been playing this game for a very long time but have only just found out about the intricacies of getting it right when it comes to a bear bleeding out, having to play around the glitches to make sure you don't lose the kill. In all other areas of Great Bear I don't need to go inside to wait for a bear to bleed out. I got trapped at Miner’s however. If I had known about the glitch I would have made the attempt to wait outdoors somehow, although that was risking freezing to death because I spawned in Ash and had already lost my only hat to a wolf and the rest of my clothing was inconsistent.

I wanted to resurrect the thread to bring the issue into the present to inform new and old players alike who weren't aware of it.

It's a very complicated situation when dealing with imo the deadliest of the TLD world predators and you think you know about the way bears bleed out.

Edited by Sgt Socks

Guest jeffpeng
11 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

imo the deadliest of the TLD world predators

Indeed.

It's a complicated thing to get right. @UTC-10's advice is spot on. But it's really best to stay outside if you can. Bringing down a bear comes with a lot of "risk-cost", too much to let it go. It's really good to know where the bear has its hideout. After being done having a panic attack the bear will return to his den to die in peace. After wounding the bear I usually get to his den, and then backtrack towards where it "should" be. I usually meet the poor fella halfway, keep my distance, and then deal the coup de grace at a convenient location. I have to say, however, that for this method some experience with bears is required and caution is very much advised, since failing to respect the bears aggro range can still end with you having a spare hole in your backside.

Edited by jeffpeng

59 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Indeed.

It's a complicated thing to get right. @UTC-10's advice is spot on. But it's really best to stay outside if you can. Bringing down a bear comes with a lot of "risk-cost", too much to let it go. It's really good to know where the bear has its hideout. After being done having a panic attack the bear will return to his den to die in peace. After wounding the bear I usually get to his den, and then backtrack towards where it "should" be. I usually meet the poor fella halfway, keep my distance, and then deal the coup de grace at a convenient location. I have to say, however, that for this method some experience with bears is required and caution is very much advised, since failing to respect the bears aggro range can still end with you having a spare hole in your backside.

Lol, spare hole in your backside. I've had quite a few of those!

I do have a lot of experience, been playing since 2016. However I was new to the Ash Canyon bear because I've only just ventured up there - the region made me so claustrophobic I avoided it.

I think this one caught me out precisely for that reason; the first time I took him down Kamikaze style, face to face and keep firing.

I thought I'd be more tactical the second time after nearly having a heart attack, but not knowing his habits as well as the other bears I decided to use the cabin.

Unfortunately I didn't know about this bleed out issue because I would have just gone at him head on again. Or run the hell away!

I've never come across it because I usually do something very similar to you. Like the PV bear just across from the farm, by the rope. Climb up the rope, goat down a little over the top of his cave. Light a fire, shoot, laugh and wait 😁

But thank you for your response and such an excellent description of how to tackle killing bears.

Keep in mind that bleeding wounds are not cumulative.  Multiple shots (arrows or bullets) serve the player by each having a chance to score a critical hit (instant kill) otherwise they do not do much more unless one gets a more serious bleed but one never really knows.  Only the worst bleed (i.e. the shortest bleed timer) actually counts. 

One thing about bleeds that is not clear to me is whether a shorter bleed timer because of a subsequent shot overwrite an existing timer, e.g., a 2-hour timer had bled the bear down to only 10  minutes of life left then a shot at that point causes a 1-hour timer bleed wound would the 1 hour timer reset things  so the bear will die in 1 hour or will the bear die in 10 minutes? 😨

Good hunting and good luck. 

• Upvote 1