Jeremiah's Folly - Bear right outside Jeremiah's cabin?

Ryu Azuku

I need help with killing the bear. After going through the survival school quests Jeremiah tasks you with taking down the bear, the only problem is he's right outside the cabin door. I can avoid getting instantly mauled by the bear if I run to the left or right as soon as the outdoors load, but the bear inevitbaly catches up with me and mauls me without giving me any time to turn around and shoot at him to scare him off. I spent a whole 2 days waiting for him to move on but he just stays there waiting. Any help?!

I was able to scare him off by coming out with a lit flare and hitting rmb to throw it as soon as I left the cabin! Bear ran!

Well when I first left the lodge I saw him and was able to shoot him since he was far enough from the door, but he wasnt scared off so I wen't back inside. Every other time I tried to go out after that he was right there so there was little time to act. I think the flare just pushed his scare-meter over the edge?

11 hours ago, Ryu Azuku said:

Well when I first left the lodge I saw him and was able to shoot him since he was far enough from the door, but he wasnt scared off so I wen't back inside. Every other time I tried to go out after that he was right there so there was little time to act. I think the flare just pushed his scare-meter over the edge?

That's strange.

The bear actually should always end up running after that first shot. It's kinda scary to stand there through the whole animation but once he's done roaring I've always had him run off and down the path.

I think you experienced some very unexpected behavior.

7 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

That's strange.

The bear actually should always end up running after that first shot. It's kinda scary to stand there through the whole animation but once he's done roaring I've always had him run off and down the path.

Maybe it was because I shot him when he was standing on his hind legs?

• 2 weeks later...

I have always had problems on that first one.  I've tried shooting the bear as it rears up on its hind legs, and after it starts its charge.  I've shot it in the face and chest multiple times.  Maybe 1 in 20 the bear will run, the rest of the time I got mauled and just reloaded my save out of frustration.  Now, any time I play, I just make a point to have the flare gun with me.

Every other bear encounter I have no problems with, it's just that first one for some reason he always gets me.  So...flare gun!

I just dropped all of my stuff in the trappers cabin went outside shot the bear and ran for my life to the little shed. I was barely able to outrun him. 

In the other encounters I just let the bear maul me. He never ran away when I shot him. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/07/2018 at 7:00 PM, RossBondReturns said:

That's strange.

Nope - it happened to me in Wintermute too - sounds like it may be scripted

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, Mixxut said:

I just dropped all of my stuff in the trappers cabin went outside shot the bear and ran for my life to the little shed. I was barely able to outrun him. 

In the other encounters I just let the bear maul me. He never ran away when I shot him. 

Try shooting him undetected if you don't have a flare gun.  Another option is to light a fire and lure to it with stones.  Last resort, Let him maul you, go heal up, rinse and repeat.  Sometimes, a lit torch can be subbed for a fire if you are undetected.

I've shot him and been attacked immediately following after leaving the cabin.That changed when I did it again and landed a bullet in his face, then he ran. As I tracked him, which I did all at once without stopping, I'd shoot him from afar, and when he got close shoot him again in the face. If I hit anywhere but his face, I usually still got mauled. As my gear got close to ruin I just took it off one by one so they wouldn't get ruined. Fixed it all and put it all back on after. I survived a few maulings, but had good defensive gear by that point.

• 1 month later...

Archived