A Building feature

maskfirecat

I don't know if this idea has been put forward before.

Being able to build things for defence against wildlife for example, traps to keep wolfs and bears way from your base, Electric fences that can kill wildlife when touched. ( could be powered with the car battery). Also many people store there meat outside so it lasts longer. Being able to build something to store the meats in to preserve them would be cool,   as well as other ways to spruce up your base and make it feel more personal to the player.

I agree with a nomadic lifestyle in the game, I prefer it as well. But, some folks do like to homestead, and that is a valid playstyle as well.

I have real OCD, in real life, and am obsessed with keeping my house and yard in order, tightly. The game is my way f trying to deal with that, leaving things somewhat messy in the game. And not getting freaked out over it. But, I do like to do _some_ organization. And have always liked the idea of being able to build storage bins outside if the many bases I move to and from. We got bins in Wintermute. We have at least one in a basement in Survival mode. Something a bit less "professional", a bit more crudely made would be nice. break  down pallets, get X number of nails along with the reclaimed.  Use reclaimed + nails + tools (quality? regular?) and 6 hours crafting time, make a bin to store firewood or sticks in indoors, or to stack meat and fish in outdoors.  Neat and clean. Treated as a container after crafting... maximum capacity 10kg/22 lbs, same interface as other containers have. 

Right now, it is just a neatness thing, I think. We don't really need to put our food in bins outdoors to keep it safe. If we had to, yeas, we can use car trunks or truck beds in some areas. But not all maps have tons of cars and trucks on them. Mystery Lake, "the" beginners map,m would have few safe paces to keep food outdoors. Fishing hut dressers being the only real safe place I can think of.

Not necessary right now, but a nice QoL thing, perhaps. Or perhaps something they are working on, for Story Mode and/or Survival Mode, if they decide to make dropped food not safe from attracting predators and having them steal our piles of steaks. If that happens, players will either have to learn to hunt for sustenance only and not stockpile kills, or we need to have some sort of premade or craftable container system to allow us to have safe outdoor storage.

I am fine without them, and can continue playing without them. But my IRL OCD brain will always think of them as "something nice to think about"... ;)

Could you imagine if we got both wolf/bear traps and meat attracted them? We are already swimming in meat, that would give just unimaginable amounts. And the more wolves/bears we killed the more wolves/bears would come. Endless mountains of meat.

edit--------

Oh one thing I want to mention....if we did get a craftable container(would be nice) I would like the weight limit to be high. I end up storing wood in a bunch of different containers and I find it tedious.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:21 PM, odizzido said:

Could you imagine if we got both wolf/bear traps and meat attracted them? We are already swimming in meat, that would give just unimaginable amounts. And the more wolves/bears we killed the more wolves/bears would come. Endless mountains of meat.

edit--------

Oh one thing I want to mention....if we did get a craftable container(would be nice) I would like the weight limit to be high. I end up storing wood in a bunch of different containers and I find it tedious.

I couldn't imagine storing wood in containers! There'd never be enough room for the piles of wood I try to keep stocked, and that does sound tedious indeed. It all goes into separate piles next to my cooking areas. Other things I usually keep out of containers are bigger tools, books I've read, jerry cans, bedrolls, and other things that are easy to see. It's nice to see a table with a rifle, hatchet, lantern, rope, etc. and a bookshelf with those books. 

As for outside, I'd put wood in those bins or something similar like a crafted container, but I'd probably just use those mainly for meat anyway.

Archived