Everything was going so fine for me until..

laavis

I started a new run on Stalker at Coastal Highway, which is one of my favourite starting locations. Even though I knew QC is swarming with wolves I decided to make it as my base. You see my strategy, not very good though, is to kill one or two wolves per day by letting them to attack me and then stab them to death. Once my condition has dropped below "enough" I go to my base and lick my wounds for the night. After a couple of days the place is relatively safe. I scavenged CH roughly in 10 days and then headed to the ML where I did some more scavenging, found a few arrows and rifle rounds and set my base to CO.

Because the rifle is so heavy I wanted to have an arrow which wasn't a problem, but I was very short on arrowheads after taking down a couple of wolves. I lost three of my four arrows and decided to hike to the forge at FM. For some reason, I have no idea why, I wanted to go to the BR before forging arrowheads. The trip there went relatively ok, killed a couple of wolves and ended up at MY by sunset. 

The next day I left the Yard to go to the HL for more loot, and that's when things started to go wrong. My run had been going so fine, I had tons of pelts, guts and saplings curing back at the ML, lots of food and other supplies like sewing kits, two expedition parkas, medicine etc.. You name it, I had it. But well back to the BR. I tried to avoid the wolves but ended up killing five. My condition was actually pretty good since I wasn't having their shit anymore and just lured them with rancid venison and shot them. I felt pretty good about myself as I stopped at the Hunter's Blind near the lake and decided to recover a little bit of condition before heading to the HL. I slept for an hour and when I got up I saw it. It was slowly walking towards me. It heavy, dragging steps and pig-like growling. It's black, emotionless eyes were locked at me as I was destined to get mauled for a lifetime.

But I thought silly bear, I'm at the blind, you'll never gonna get me here but I have a rifle and you're about to get your daily dose of led in your face. And that's exactly what I did, I shot it in the face. It tried to charge at me but since I was inside the blind it couldn't get me so it ran off. I wasn't too eager to fire another shot because I knew the bear would bleed out in a couple of hours. I started to pass time and then it happed. I watched in absolute horror as the bear charged at me again at chipmunk speed. I quickly stopped passing time as the bear stood up on it's two legs right before me and then it charged again. Through the fucking blind. My eyes widened in horror, my heart was pounding and my hands were shaking. As the bear took its revenge, only one thought was going through my head. HOW. HOW the bear could attack me? I was inside the blind? HOW?! But it did. I bet I was more shaken in real life than my character after the attack. I have never ever got a scare like that in a video game.

At that points I was done. I had 6% condition, the night was coming and I had wasted nearly all of my food and water. And I was in legit shock. The bear died almost immediately after it was done mauling me. I decided to sleep until I reached 10% condition, then went for its hide and guts. Then the night fell upon me and it was getting really dark. I don't know why I decided to try and get back to the MY, but I did. And I almost made it. I was literally two steps from the back door when a wolf attacked. I died instantly. I stared at my screen as I faded to the darkness. I was still shaken from the bear attack. I just sat there and stared at the screen, not in anger but in shock. I knew it was my fault I died, shouldn't tried to get back to the MY, that was stupid.

Now I'm TERRIFIED of bears. I started a new game and I feel sheer terror every time I hear those slouching footsteps. And the sound that comes from its mouth, oh god. 

But I will get my vengeance. I will return to the Broken Railroad. And when I do, I'll make a nice, warm bedroll out of that son of a bitch.

Archived