Big List

s_miracle

There are a few other things that I think would be interesting, but difficult to implement in a realistic way. I just want to go over my thoughts for a few of them here.

18. Craftable candles and/or torches.

Craftable candles would be a real pain to implement realistically. Having candles in-game makes sense, but making new ones would be much harder due to the resources and time needed. In real life, candle-making needs wax, wicks, molds or dippers, a continuously burning fire, and plain old time. It's possible to implement in-game, but between the large availability of matches, lanterns, flares, etc. and the fact that candles would only be usable indoors, it's impractical to have a candle creation system. Torches, though, are definitely realistic and easily crafted, and I expect we'll be seeing them eventually.

22. Energy drinks and coffee that reduce fatigue.

Energy drinks, yes. Coffee would work only if it's canned. For fresh or even instant coffee, the creators would need to expand the fireplace system, which might be doable. It might be simplest to append coffee-making to the "Cook" selections, although to be realistic, you'd need some sort of kettle. Speaking of which, when water is being melted and boiled, what's it being boiled in?\

34. Tents

Between the wolves and the freezing weather, I don't see this one going anywhere soon. Still, they did implement the bedroll, so who knows? Maybe there'll be something later on.

That's all for now. Time for someone else to take a turn.

All good points. I did some reading about how one might make candles by rendering animal fat. This would involve cutting fat from a carcass and separating it from various tendons/ligaments. Then boiling it in water. Then letting it simmer for 30-60 minutes. Then straining it. Then letting it cool for 4-8 hours. Then pouring it into some type of container, adding a wick, and letting it dry.

So yes, it is an involved and laborious process. But all you would need is a carcass, strainer, pan, some containers, and wicks. It's not impossible. But it does force you to return to that "realism vs. fun" dilemma when designing games, much like the "what is this being boiled in" question that you mentioned. I agree, I'd say at this point it would make more sense to simply find candles and leave torches to the crafting aspect. I'll be updating the list to reflect this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the guy is a trained survival guy. He just randomly crashed with the plane. He has no internet to google how to make some candles.

But maybe he can still try and fail miserably, wasting precious resources or cutting himself.... :twisted:

But maybe he finds some book/brochure/article about 'The Secret of Candle-Making' (for example in the newspapers), either...

Other ideas

A way to build a salt drying device that would also produce distilled water. Obviously it should be built near the ocean. Perhaps collect sea water and put it in yourself. A hot water heater liner on top of a wood stove (take out the heater element to remove salt). Metal tube to another heater liner for cooling steam.

Your carry capacity and endurance should go up with time as you get in shape.

A rare few nice ice fishing huts that are enclosed with a bed. Obviously I would like the ice fishing as mentioned by others.

Thermos for hot liquids to warm you up. A rare large opening thermos you can use to cook soup in. Severely reducing fire time needed.

A simple lamp made with animal fat and salvaged rags.

Make your own rocket stove that is more efficient with wood use and you can place anywhere. Made from tin cans.

Comments

One thing in the story line that doesn't make sense is were told that the "incident" just happened but their are no large stashes of anything like it has been weeks already. Particularly wood many people store a years worth of wood for heating. If they depend on it few wouldn't have a couple months worth.

I like the idea of a mechanical watch or pocket watch.

While true the Lee Infield in its original configuration holds 10 rounds in the clip this is illegal in Canada I have heard. Most would have been modified however some people don't obey such ludicrous laws so I would have both available with the 5 round more common. Even in most of the US it would have been plugged to make it legal for hunting but plugs can be removed.

Thermoses (sligthly losing heat with time and low temps): good idea. Add tea and coffe and that would make a nice, sensible way to warm you up.

I know alcoholics are a bit more tricky. As I understand the principle, they make you feel warmer, because they act as vasodilators. However, that means that you'll actually waste more heat. Still, once you've reached a warm shelter, a sip of rye should ease the effects of frostbite (another thing that could be implemented?) by allowing blood to reach farther blood vessels faster? I don't know. What I know is that, if it's chilly outside, a shot of coffee and rhum inside a bar will make you feel better.

Regarding survival books as a source of skills: it would make sense to find such books in these places. However, a single book would give you the chance to learn way too many skills. One way to patch that up would be to scatter single issues of survival magazines around the world, teaching a skill each, but I feel like it would spoil the atmosphere and sound a little silly.

Heh, maybe he can make himself a riot shield from the plane's plexiglass windows to fend off wolves.

:P not sure if I would go quite that far. I think most people would dislike to see this game get turned into a 1st person shooter.

Other ideas

A way to build a salt drying device that would also produce distilled water. Obviously it should be built near the ocean. Perhaps collect sea water and put it in yourself. A hot water heater liner on top of a wood stove (take out the heater element to remove salt). Metal tube to another heater liner for cooling steam.

Your carry capacity and endurance should go up with time as you get in shape.

A rare few nice ice fishing huts that are enclosed with a bed. Obviously I would like the ice fishing as mentioned by others.

Thermos for hot liquids to warm you up. A rare large opening thermos you can use to cook soup in. Severely reducing fire time needed.

A simple lamp made with animal fat and salvaged rags.

Make your own rocket stove that is more efficient with wood use and you can place anywhere. Made from tin cans.

One thing in the story line that doesn't make sense is were told that the "incident" just happened but their are no large stashes of anything like it has been weeks already. Particularly wood many people store a years worth of wood for heating. If they depend on it few wouldn't have a couple months worth.

I like the idea of a mechanical watch or pocket watch.

While true the Lee Infield in its original configuration holds 10 rounds in the clip this is illegal in Canada I have heard. Most would have been modified however some people don't obey such ludicrous laws so I would have both available with the 5 round more common. Even in most of the US it would have been plugged to make it legal for hunting but plugs can be removed.

Hmmm somehow I don't think setting up a desalination plant would keep players on edge. At most, I think that would be more of a "nice to have" feature once the late game is more developed. I totally agree with the fitness level idea - it's already on the list. It makes sense to have at least a few enclosed fishing huts with beds, I'll add it to the list. Dunno about making lamps but torches are on the list, so got that one. Don't think a custom built stove would be necessary with all of the stoves already in place. I do agree with you about the wood, but it's also hard to have a challenging survival scenario and give everyone a year's worth of wood at the same time so I'm not sure what they can do about that. Definitely needs to be a watch. Not sure how many illegal rifles there are in Canada, but I'm guessing it's quite a few.

Thermoses (sligthly losing heat with time and low temps): good idea. Add tea and coffe and that would make a nice, sensible way to warm you up.

I know alcoholics are a bit more tricky. As I understand the principle, they make you feel warmer, because they act as vasodilators. However, that means that you'll actually waste more heat. Still, once you've reached a warm shelter, a sip of rye should ease the effects of frostbite (another thing that could be implemented?) by allowing blood to reach farther blood vessels faster? I don't know. What I know is that, if it's chilly outside, a shot of coffee and rhum inside a bar will make you feel better.

Regarding survival books as a source of skills: it would make sense to find such books in these places. However, a single book would give you the chance to learn way too many skills. One way to patch that up would be to scatter single issues of survival magazines around the world, teaching a skill each, but I feel like it would spoil the atmosphere and sound a little silly.

I don't think it's an immediate need, but a thermos could definitely work as another tool the devs have for manipulating heat. Alcohol is an interesting idea since it does have a lot of uses and there's been some discussion about using it for molotov cocktails (also antiseptic, flammable, and pain killer). The survival book idea is a tricky one. I agree, having scattered pages does seem a bit silly. I think it would make more sense to just have the player sort of intuit advanced skills after performing various activities multiple times rather than "Look at this page I found! Now I can make snares!"

Had another idea. An outside cache where you can store meat during winter and it will keep till it gets warm or you take it out. I understand they have these in Alaska like a stand with the cache on top.

Another interesting idea, since such a location could attract wildlife. But I don't think the game would be more fun if you could store meat for months at a time, so I'm hesitant on this one.

I agree with almost everything on that huge list. PLEASE consider this great ideas!!

Yay! I hope they will consider some of the ideas as well.

A desalinization plant would defiantly be more mid game but it allows you to make your own salt that was the main aim. With salt you have meat preservation and flavor enhancer. Also salt is a necessary nutrient you cant go without for a long time. True you could just drink sea water in limited quantities regularly even cook with it, but that ties you to the coast.

Distilled water is just a side benefit plenty of fresh water around as long as its not polluted.

As for alcohol at the moment their isn't anything you can use to make it yet. Hopefully that will change though.

That did bring up a good idea for me though. Apple and pear trees. being winter you would be lucky to find a couple frozen ones left but when the next harvest season comes...

A simple solution to the lack of stores of firewood would be to add piles of firewood to the sides of houses, but have them be frozen solid so you can't use the wood. It makes the scene more realistic without upsetting the balance... There really isn't a shortage to firewood anyway. I can forage 15-20 wood per day as long as the it is not too windy.

I would like to see a portable stove like a rocket stove. It doesn't have to be self built, could also just be something you find. It could have the benefit of staring a fire in heavier wind than is possible now and it would take a lot more wind to blow the fire out.

This isn't my idea but from someone here on the forum (can't seem to find it again), but like it so I'll repeat it here: a new kind of tinder: commercial tinder like mini-/ micro inferno/ wetfire. This could have the same effect as starting a fire with regular tinder and accelerant.

I'd also like to see another option in the foraging menu: fat wood (should be plentiful I think). Used either as tinder with better chance of lighting a fire or as accelerant but maybe with less chance than the current accelerant.

I would like to see capes/wraparounds added to the game, as an extra outer layer that reduces heat loss, but is quite rare, and is worn over the coat

Yeah. And like, if I was trying to survive in the freezing cold, I wouldn't just wear one pair of socks, pants, etc. And we need some scarves implemented too :)

Yea when I spent time in the extreme cold I always had at least two pair of socks (Cotton then wool) more is hard to get in your shoes though. And often more than one scarf, they are in the game already I guess you just haven't found one yet? And coveralls over your coat!

One of the best things to deal with both cold and wicking sweat is silk long underwear I used to have some of those too. Their so thin they don't add any bulk too, you could even add another set of long johns.

Oh and a lot of old timers used women's silk stockings for that purpose as well as preventing blisters. Hard to find those now though.

Scarfs should give some protection from wolves as they go for the throat.

I would like to see capes/wraparounds added to the game, as an extra outer layer that reduces heat loss, but is quite rare, and is worn over the coat

Yeah. And like, if I was trying to survive in the freezing cold, I wouldn't just wear one pair of socks, pants, etc. And we need some scarves implemented too :)

I believe scarves are already in the game.

Qulliq - inuit candle :)

[bBvideo 560,340:3gaty460]

[/bBvideo]

that's kind of gross, but seems to work

There's something almost comically gross about prodding and then burning blubber that I like, but I don't think either of these ideas would be a good fit for the game right now since these concepts are not easily identifiable for most people. Interesting though.

He should be sued Rubbing alcohol is VERY toxic it may kill you if not vented properly. But it is a great idea if you have some drinking alcohol that will burn. Seriously I wont even use rubbing alcohol on my skin it shouldn't be legal at all.

Edit: Was looking for something factual to back me up on that but info is thin mostly hearsay. This is one of the better articles I found on it though.

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com ... -fuel.html

He should be sued Rubbing alcohol is VERY toxic it may kill you if not vented properly. But it is a great idea if you have some drinking alcohol that will burn. Seriously I wont even use rubbing alcohol on my skin it shouldn't be legal at all.

His heater is not a problem, because you have to keep it closed, else the alcohol will evaporate, therefore you do not inhale, the toxic methanol fumes. And if it is in use then you will also not inhale much of the methanol fumes, because the fumes are burning. But if you are robbing this on your skin, then you are fucking stupid.

Methanol is the poisonous one? I always confuse ethanol and methanol, in terms of which one can be drunk.

Archived