Bearskin bedroll decay rate.

MHDan

Hello,

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I had a quick search and couldn't find anything detailed.

I have just repaired my bear bedroll to about 98%, went on an outdoor camping session for around a week maybe, in a snow shelter mostly (cave a couple of times).

I have just checked and my bedroll is down to 8% and whilst in the shelter, not using it it went down a percentage while just looking through my inventory.

Is it best to leave it somewhere whilst walking around? Does it normally decay this quickly when outdoors?

My first one lasted much longer with a lot more use. Does carrying certain items with the bedroll make it decay quicker (like raw meat and guts)?

This just seems a very high decay rate to me, and I am sure my last one lasted a lot longer!

Thanks

Bedrolls have different decay rates for when you're just carrying them or using them ( sleeping or passing time ). Like every item, it's decay is dependent on the difficulty level you're playing in. Interloper should decay your bear bedroll at 0.5% per day of storing/carrying and 0.12% per hour of sleep/passing time, figures are halved for Stalker. 

That said, you might have some sort of bug in your hands because my bear bedrolls usually last more than 100 days before they go under 50% condition. I'm sure I've heard something like this being mentioned on the forums. 

Hi. I'm pretty sure you're leaving it unrolled in the shelter or whatever during the day. Don't do that. Even if you're going to leave it behind in your shelter (cave, house, whatever) always pick it up in the morning and then drop it rolled up if you're going to not have it with you. If you leave it unrolled it will decay very very quickly. Learned that one the hard way... ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

After having a few bedrolls destroyed in wolf/bear attacks I thought that I'd try using a bearskin bedroll, thinking it might be more resistant to damage in attacks.  That was destroyed just as easily.

I came to the conclusion, right or wrong, that there was little to be gained with a bear bedroll.  Almost all of the time, once I was dressed in warm clothes, and I assume that by the time you have killed bears for a bear coat and then another couple for a bedroll, that you would have very good warm clothes.

To offset that, I found that I was running out of normal bedrolls, as some had been destroyed, therefore bear bedrolls had an important part to play because you could make them as the game progressed, when normal bedrolls had run out.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, stratvox said:

always pick it up in the morning and then drop it rolled up if you're going to not have it with you

I recently returned to a Stalker Run from pre-vigilant flame update and patch, (Approximately 330 days). When I opened the metal container under the bed at Trapper's Homestead, I was very surprised to see all my crafted clothes, (from early game days), in good condition, (90% or better), but my bearskin bedroll, (packed away new and never used), was down to 44%.

So something is going on but this observation offers little help in narrowing the vector in terms of why the bearskin bedroll decay rate seems rapid.

PS: I gave you a well deserved +1 @stratvox, as a sincere thank you for the excellent advice to keep bedrolls rolled-up while not in use.

Good luck my friends! :coffee:

20180721081109_1.jpg

Edited by s7mar7in

Thanks for the kind words s7mar7in! If you go to http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Decay you can see the decay rates laid out for you. Bedrolls decay faster than most clothes under all circumstances, and quite a lot faster than some. Also the difference in decay rate between stored (i.e. rolled up) and deployed is stark. If you leave a bearskin bedroll deployed for 24 hours, you'll lose 1.6% of condition (0.068%*24), but rolled up you'll lose 0.274% condition. Stored cloth bedrolls decay more slowly than bearskin bedrolls, do, but deployed cloth bedrolls decay significantly faster (2.4%/day deployed). As noted above, there are modifiers to those decay rates based on game difficulty.

Either way, I tend to go for the bearskin bedroll. Yes it weighs more, but makes nights caught outdoors much more survivable. Given that my guy seems to be sleeping ten to twelve hours a night the lower deployed rate helps it last longer. That extra 7C bonus can make even the coldest nights survivable in a cave and even be nice and toasty upon awakening. I had to spend the night on a ledge two thirds of the way up on that loooong rope climb on TWM, and the bedroll saw me through with no trouble. Yes, I got lucky, but even with getting lucky with the weather I'm pretty sure I'd've frozen to death with the cloth bedroll. When I got up my felt temperature was -9; bearskin gives you +12: result happiness. With a net -4 if I'd had cloth: result misery and probably death.

Edited by stratvox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, stratvox said:

Bedrolls decay faster than most clothes under all circumstances, and quite a lot faster than some.

True story @stratvox, bearskin bedroll decay rate is 10X the rate for other crafted animal hide clothes. Fortunately the bearskin bedroll was easy to repair, (after being stored for 244 Days), as compared to the time needed for crafting. Thanks again for the help my friend. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in

On 7/2/2018 at 9:26 PM, peteloud said:

After having a few bedrolls destroyed in wolf/bear attacks I thought that I'd try using a bearskin bedroll, thinking it might be more resistant to damage in attacks. 

I have a feeling this is what happened to mine, I had a few wolf encounters while carrying it. I assumed that only my clothes got damaged in attacks, but obviously not.

Thanks everyone for all the great answers, I may invest in creating another one soon as I'm finally planning on venturing to HRV for the first time (if I survive the looting session in Wolf Town aka Milton).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

According to the wiki (though I acknowledge that I can't vouch for how accurate the information on the site is):
2007323846_BedrollDecay.JPG.b98e3ac35fa28739bcab1d8d344e21a0.JPG

The decay rates don't really appear to be all that different.  Where they do differ, I think it sort of compensates for the variance.
For example: the Bearskin Bedroll may decay slightly faster when not in use, but it decays slightly slower while being used (in comparison to the decay rates of the standard Bedroll).

:coffee::fire:
I think this creates an interesting balance.

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, Merlin said:

I have a little tip on how to deal with repairing your bearskin bedroll, actually don't. Just recycle it, it gives you 1 cured bear skin and recraft the bedroll so you don't have to lose several skins to get it to 100%.

I'm sorry but your little tip doesn't work like how it does on moose-hide cloak and satchel. Both the bearskin coat and bedroll require 2 bear hides each to craft/recraft.

So the only logical way to repair either of the two is to kill more bears.

I think what he was saying is that you can use fewer bears by salvaging and remaking compared to repairing.

I personally have no idea how much condition is repaired with a single bear skin, but if it's less than 56% than it would be cheaper to salvage and remake, at least in terms of resources spent. Time wise I am sure it's worse.

Just checked the wiki and you can repair back up to 50% at L1 mending, 55% at L3, and 62.5% at L5.

Sure, if one is waiting till the bedroll gets ruined so that he can salvage and recraft, fewer bearskins are needed. But then, the extremely low- conditioned bear bedroll becomes a dead weight and you might as well just use a normal bedroll at this point. Crafting it takes 17.5 hours (way longer in Interloper with the improvised knife) so the additional resources (e.g. food, water, firewood if you're using outdoor workbench) and risks (e.g. cabin fever) have to be taken into account too.

And considering salvaging and recrafting still requires an additional bearskin anyway, I'd definitely just go for repairing since bears are not hard to find unlike the moose. But to each his own.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...