Binoculars

AlooshiManooshi

I dunno, it's not that hard; one of them moves and the other one doesn't. Take your time and look around before moving... it's totally worth it to spot the danger zones. It's not a race, and treating it like a race will get you killed in this game.

I love this idea, binoculars and compass... both could be accessed from the navigation radial once you have acquired them.  Option to hold the compass in your hand and hold LMB to raise it to eye level.  Binoculars could also be held in hand and hold LMB to look through them.

Implementing zoom function for the binoculars might be more effort than it sounds though.

I think it's part of the fun is not knowing if it's a wolf or a rock, keeps you alert. They have already added the map that never existed before. It would have to be an ultra rare, one spawn across the whole map kinda thing, with no guarantee of it turning up at all. I do like the idea of being able to get to the summit of TWM and have a look out across the whole island with some binoculars though!

1 hour ago, Kaisentlaia said:

I guess that a compass wouldn't be of much use since there's all this geomagnetic event thing going on and messing up with the earth's magnetic field... 

Indeed.

Though the idea of binoculars or a small telescope/looking glass has been interesting to me, since I first saw the idea years ago on the Steam Wish List. It would make sense to find one or the other in one of the Forestry lookouts. possibly a very rare find, an "accidentally left behind" item when the Forest Rangers abandoned their posts and left the island. Definitely fragile, breakable if you aren't careful, possibly repairable if we can harvest a lens from an extra mag lens. Possibly if that harvesting only worked one way. Harvest the mag lens for telescope or binocular repairs, but no harvesting the telescope or binoculars to repair a mag lens. And no fire starting with a telescope or binoculars. Would give you a serious choice to make, a "choices matter" decision. Which I enjoy in this game. If a new items is added, but has no choice to help balance out pros and cons of using or harvesting it, it doesn't really have the appeal to me. It would be like adding another flashlight, which many people find to be useless, and an added burden to carry around for little purpose.

Archived