Outerloper - saying 'no' to the indoors

Stone

If you travel to the winding river and enter the cave there you can find a bedroll spawn. Since you cant go through the dam this would be a sort of "Last priority" location. In your predicament it would be very tough to scamper through two regions on 1 full stamina bar. All you can hope is you find a bedroll in PV and then more cloth. Cloth locations I can think of would be in the cars (If they count), in the trunk of this one blue truck by the crossroads store, the fishing hut at pensive pond, fishing huts in CH, the little blocked off side porch at the pleasant valley farmstead, and if you find any crappy sports socks or something on corpses you could break those down. How much cloth do you need? 5?

34 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

For me it's hacksaw > knife > arrowheads > hatchet.   I think the biggest factor in favor of a hatchet is it's effectiveness against wolves in a struggle.  I made one in my current game because of HRV and I don't regret it... I stumbled into a pair of wolves in the fog and lived to tell the tale!  Hatchet really does seem to get the wolf to break off the attack earlier than knife does.  And now I have a wolf coat.  :coffee:

Congratulations. I've managed to avoid struggles but in case it should come to that, I prefer to rely on the hammer, based on @Timber Wolf's meticulous research. Or am I making a mistake? Of course, you forfeit the coat, but I prefer saving my own... coat.

@Stone, good read. Any tips for more outdoor bedrolls? One can be in the cave at the Mystic River picnic area in PV, but that's a long way to go.

Thanks @Hotzn @ruvuwana @Drifter Man @FunkyFuggerson. The hatchet was just dumb force of habit, it's too heavy, I just carry a knife. (Singular!) Appricate @Timber Wolf's weapon research. Bottom of the Ravine with no Bedroll is, I suspect, a one way trip. Five cloth for a Snow Shelter is a long shot. Got to hit TWM somehow. Got to do it without walking into situations where I'm only surviving if that essential item is there. Where else is there an outdoor bed? Doesn't the ruined church at Milton have one? I might be able to make that and I think a Bedroll can spawn at the park. Could hit the plane after that. But it's all the wrong direction. I think I can hit Marsh Ridge and back to Lookout in one day so that's my next attempt. Kick self as I spawned near there and didn't check it. This Outloper may just have to die searching CH for cloth at night :-)

Edited by Stone

In your position I'd still hit winding river through Coastal highway-PV. You can do the ravine trip and expend the stim that sits down there, just take some coffee with you and drink after exaustion, so you can crash by the CH trailer and have the orange gun. There might be a bedroll in PV's picnic spot ( not Mystic River, the other ) and I'd say the cave by winding river might just be a lock for your last outside bedroll spawn spot if none of these produce, I'm afraid.

Edited by Dan_
There was a rogue 'L' in the post.

4 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I prefer to rely on the hammer, based on @Timber Wolf's meticulous research. Or am I making a mistake?

Hammer is a good choice, wolves run away even faster.  I carry one before I get around to crafting a bow and arrows.

I'm on my way back from TWM now (good haul), leaving a trail of wolf pincushions in my wake.  :D

16 hours ago, Stone said:

Bottom of the Ravine with no Bedroll is, I suspect, a one way trip. 

Are you sure about that? Would old Hotzn give such Padawan advice? There have been rumours that there is now a moss-bed somewhere at the bottom of the Ravine. Like the one we see at the beginning of Story mode. Quite unique. Old Hotzn has not seen it yet with his own eyes... he only heard rumours... the source seemed reliable though. Maybe someone else here can enlighten us knowlessmen... some astute interlopist who has been down to the bottom of the Ravine lately...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

some astute interlopist who has been down to the bottom of the Ravine lately...

Well I'm not astute but according to fandom wiki there is a cave with an improvised bed down in the ravine somewhere.

1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

Are you sure about that? Would old Hotzn give such Padawan advice? There have been rumours that there is now a moss-bed somewhere at the bottom of the Ravine. Like the one we see at the beginning of Story mode. Quite unique. Old Hotzn has not seen it yet with his own eyes... he only heard rumours... the source seemed reliable though. Maybe someone else here can enlighten us knowlessmen... some astute interlopist who has been down to the bottom of the Ravine lately...

Astute or not, this interlopist can confirm there is a moss-bed in the Cave at the bottom of Ravine Basin. Seen with his own eyes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I'm on my way back from TWM now (good haul), leaving a trail of wolf pincushions in my wake.  :D

Sounds like interloper wolves aren't so scary after all, when you are armed... I still avoid them out of caution, because Timber Wolf's test showed massive loss of condition in all cases... Can't hurt not to get hurt.

2 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Sounds like interloper wolves aren't so scary after all, when you are armed... I still avoid them out of caution, because Timber Wolf's test showed massive loss of condition in all cases... Can't hurt not to get hurt.

Yep, massive damage to clothing too, as I learned in the struggle I barely survived earlier.   But using bait I can reliably get an arrow into the wolf so it's either dead or running away, not chewing on me.  The biggest challenge is getting the arrow back, so it's a tactic I save for when I have a warm place to rest while the wolf is dying. 

4 hours ago, Stone said:

@Hotzn I meant not to cast dispersions on your counsel, indeed its seems we are both shy a trip to Ravine of late. Anyone else know whats down there these days?

Thou didst not trespass against me and therefore needst not be forgiven. Concerning my shyness and the Ravine - I have actually never been down to its bottom ever since there has been a "bottom". I have dim memories of descending before that - many, many versions ago - but can't quite recall what happened... whether I met instant death or was lost in half-finished portions of the map. However! In my current run, I am gearing up for the Deep Forest achievement in the Ravine, and when I have obtained that, I will hit the bottom. I want to procure a rope to do so, since I have not yet seen a way to get down and up again (although I would think there must be one - which developer would be so cruel as to have players watch their coveted 100-day-run-avatar shrivel up in a pit without a way out?). Way back up or not - I have decided to rope it and that's what I'll do.

4 hours ago, Mixxut said:

Well I'm not astute but according to fandom wiki there is a cave with an improvised bed down in the ravine somewhere.

3 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Astute or not, this interlopist can confirm there is a moss-bed in the Cave at the bottom of Ravine Basin. Seen with his own eyes.

Only the astute would deny their own astuteness (or - even more elegantly - put it in doubt). And thanks @Drifter Manfor the confirmation. So my source WAS reliable.

Edited by Hotzn

@Hotzn @Drifter Man Welcome news indeed. However. This new information likely means there's never a Bedroll in the Ravine (I'd happyiky be wrong on that) Thus, my quandary remains: setting out from the Ravine floor or Lookout still leaves me too far to travel with no guaranteed outdoor bed. However, over on @Drifter Man's Snowballs thread a plan is hatching: there are numerous outdoor beds on route to HRV and it would seem a guaranteed Bedroll. Aha! Yes!? No?! And I thought MT was the last place I wanted to go. Oh the irony: avoiding the indoors and avoiding the one area with zero indoors! It was all so simple!

13 minutes ago, Stone said:

@Hotzn @Drifter Man Welcome news indeed. However. This new information likely means there's never a Bedroll in the Ravine (I'd happyiky be wrong on that) Thus, my quandary remains: setting out from the Ravine floor or Lookout still leaves me too far to travel with no guaranteed outdoor bed. However, over on @Drifter Man's Snowballs thread a plan is hatching: there are numerous outdoor beds on route to HRV and it would seem a guaranteed Bedroll. Aha! Yes!? No?! And I thought MT was the last place I wanted to go. Oh the irony: avoiding the indoors and avoiding the one area with zero indoors! It was all so simple!

Old Hotzn has been thinking again and came upon a problem he had not given enough consideration so far: Even though the bottom of the Ravine may provide an outdoor (moss) bed, getting back up from there (even after sleeping back to full energy on the moss-bed) could mean losing too much energy to continue onwards to the next outdoor bed. Certainly, there might be coffee, but assuming there is really no bedroll to be found in the Ravine (not sure about that), it is doubtful whether the trip would better your chances of long-term survival. Hmmm. I guess I really cannot give profound advice here until I have experienced the bottom of the Ravine myself. Still, we have all learned something and will undoubtedly learn more as you decide and then push the boundaries of our knowledge into the great beyond...

On 7/2/2018 at 8:55 PM, Ruruwawa said:

For me it's hacksaw > knife > arrowheads > hatchet.   I think the biggest factor in favor of a hatchet is it's effectiveness against wolves in a struggle.  I made one in my current game because of HRV and I don't regret it... I stumbled into a pair of wolves in the fog and lived to tell the tale!  Hatchet really does seem to get the wolf to break off the attack earlier than knife does.  And now I have a wolf coat.  :coffee:

This I did not know! I've been using knives all this while. I will try the hatchet the next time I get into a skirmish with one of them.

18 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Yep, massive damage to clothing too, as I learned in the struggle I barely survived earlier.   But using bait I can reliably get an arrow into the wolf so it's either dead or running away, not chewing on me.  The biggest challenge is getting the arrow back, so it's a tactic I save for when I have a warm place to rest while the wolf is dying. 

Not that I carry bait around - I don't like the risk that it might attract more wolves than I have baits - but do they pause now to eat it? That could make them easy targets indeed...

@Stone, I've never found a bedroll in the Ravine. And if you start fully rested at the bottom, at the top of the rope you will be good to get a night's sleep.

@Hotzn, there should be a rope in the Ravine... in a place easily accessible but somewhat well hidden... maybe you know. If you have no success there, I recommend visiting a certain structure in ML that was destroyed not long ago, as a result of reckless coding by now former member of the Hinterland team. They put a rope up there as a consolation for exasperated interlopists seeking shelter in that place, only to find ruins. Or maybe as a means to hanging themselves.

4 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Not that I carry bait around - I don't like the risk that it might attract more wolves than I have baits - but do they pause now to eat it? That could make them easy targets indeed...

I carry a cooked bait, a lightweight sliver weighing 0.1kg.  As far as I can tell, it's not enough to materially affect detection range.  Drop it after the wolf barks at you.

The wolf doesn't pause.  Instead it walks slowly to the bait, picks it up, turns 180 degrees and trots away.  If you don't want to shoot them just use this seconds-long animation to break contact with the wolf.  Just be sure not to get closer to the wolf than the bait.

If you want to shoot the wolf, take a few steps back from the bait before shooting.  (It's roughly as close as you can get to a deer before it flees.)  If the wolf charges, you were too close and the wolf's "weapon! must attack now!" AI kicked in.

As for multiple wolves, more than one can be attracted to a single dropped bait if they've barked before dropping the bait.  I prefer to engage "get away!" mode when this happens and let them fight over who gets it.

Edited by Ruruwawa
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Thanks @Ruruwawa for your valuable combat experience... I need to add this method to my skill set, along with driving wolves out of the way using stones. Striking a match to make fire every time is too expensive.

Making a fire to chase wolves away is very reliable, but I agree -- it feels too expensive on Interloper.   I want to conserve my matches to combat freezing.

Day 6 (thought I posted this already) Decide to try Marsh Ridge for a bedroll. Freezing out so use a last few sticks to cook some venison and read. Weather clears mid afternoon. Head straight to Marsh ridge, sprinting between cover from the breeze. No wildlife issues. Reach the base of Hat Creek freezing. Through the cave, out onto Marsh Ridge, hang a right and... a candy bar. This is bad. Light a fire by a deer to warm up and think.

screen_bbeb469f-12b5-496b-823f-d5e38a30e86f.thumb.png.022db753e646137f9e36f174f0cadad7.png

Eat a little, take a torch then retreat to the Lookout. The stars come out and the aurora flares. I'm jumping at every shape and sound but the journey is pleasantly uneventful. Arrive 'home' cold and tired. Eat, bed.

screen_6e9f0240-526f-4054-9946-e9dd9446e89d.thumb.png.40dc0f0c4f2f79f87260b830206bc7eb.png

Day 7 Not sure how I can get to TWM without a bedroll or cloth. Don't want to risk it. Blizzard arrives mid morning, Eat, read, take a nap. Eventually it passes. Head out for some sticks. Get ready to go somewhere tomorrow, not sure where. [Hearing @Drifter Man's tale of an ice cave filled with bedrolls in HRV, realise I can get through Milton using beds at the park and plane crash site. Plan!]

Day 8 A clear day, straightforward (wolves aside) journey to the cave near Trappers. Weather remains fine, even the wolves are staying out of the way. Arrive at the park building cold but with plenty to burn. Notice there are two big benches that I can breakdown for 2 cloth each. Break one down. Bed.

• Upvote 2

I've made the TWM assent once without a bedroll, but that was powered by 15 cups of coffee which your outerloper will never get - there's probably only 5 cups of coffee in the world available to him, maybe 10 if he gets exceptionally lucky at the coffee/tea crate on the TWM map (fortunately you don't need to climb for that one).

I think someone has detailed a day one TWM summit climb using snowshelters and ripping apart clothes, but I've never made it work for me. I think it was @Hotzn, and if not it was probably @Ruruwawa or @Drifter Man

Edited by Riotintheair