SO MANY WOLVES IN STALKER ITS CRAZY!!!

WheresMyBuns

I am currently playing TLD on Stalker difficulty and holy crap there is just an unrealistic amount of wolves... at least in my opinion and im only on day six.  I am in the town of milton and when I was traveling to the gas station there was like three wolves at the station and about two wolves and the big house where I just came from.  Then Im going behind the station because the wolves were infront then unsurprisingly there was a forth behind it so I had to go around and run to a car and pass the time.  Then after I go in the place for about an hour and explore right as I exit there are so many wolves right as I got out and ran straight for a car (because all the growling) about 10ft in front of me nearly instantly I get jumped on then I kick in off and get in the car and there was like four again all around me so I gotta pass time ONCE AGAIN then I make it inside the station and sleep a whole night.  Then at the crack of dawn im heading back and it seems clear but BAM surprise suprise its not so I get on top of a water heater lookin thing and let it pass so now as it runs off I jump off then nearly instantly at the edge of town ANOTHER WOLF so I try and run for a car but it jumps on me.  Then I get into a car and heal.  Almost right as I get out ONCE AGAIN ANOTHER WOLF GROWLS SO I RUN IN A CAR AND PASS TIME.  So finally after all that.  I am able to run to safety into my house.     

TO MANY WOLFS...

It might be just me, but I'm on my day 500 of stalker as the Quonset Manager, (The water is always free) and I got to say, I think the number of wolves is DECREASING since 1.34v. Might just be me, but I'm not killing 7 wolves at a time in Milton anymore. Only three wolves tried to kill me outside of Quonset. I mean, what the hell? Used to be six wolves, two bears, and a moose would come at you, and you'd call that Tuesday.

Do like the new bear AI, though. He is much more aggressive.

I think you're just seeing the effect of "wildlife populations fall over time" on the wolf population. The number of wolves I'm finding (I'm a few days past 400 on my run) is much much lower in the same places than it was when I was in the early game.

Bears are way down too.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:51 PM, WheresMyBuns said:

I am currently playing TLD on Stalker difficulty and holy crap there is just an unrealistic amount of wolves... at least in my opinion and im only on day six.  I am in the town of milton and when I was traveling to the gas station there was like three wolves at the station and about two wolves and the big house where I just came from.  Then Im going behind the station because the wolves were infront then unsurprisingly there was a forth behind it so I had to go around and run to a car and pass the time.  Then after I go in the place for about an hour and explore right as I exit there are so many wolves right as I got out and ran straight for a car (because all the growling) about 10ft in front of me nearly instantly I get jumped on then I kick in off and get in the car and there was like four again all around me so I gotta pass time ONCE AGAIN then I make it inside the station and sleep a whole night.  Then at the crack of dawn im heading back and it seems clear but BAM surprise suprise its not so I get on top of a water heater lookin thing and let it pass so now as it runs off I jump off then nearly instantly at the edge of town ANOTHER WOLF so I try and run for a car but it jumps on me.  Then I get into a car and heal.  Almost right as I get out ONCE AGAIN ANOTHER WOLF GROWLS SO I RUN IN A CAR AND PASS TIME.  So finally after all that.  I am able to run to safety into my house.     

TO MANY WOLFS...

Well, that's what you get if you play Stalker and you go to Milton. There is so much loot there that if it wasn't for the wolves it would just be too comfortable a place to go (and stay). And Stalker is meant to be difficult.

If you want the same general settings as Stalker in terms of loot and weather and stuff, but you want to play with fewer (or less aggressive) wolves, then you can do that in the Custom Game settings pretty easily.

Too late for editing, just yesterday I watched "Wolf town", a rather poor excuse for a natural horror movie with ten or so actors but the unusual merit of using real animals instead of amateurush cg effects. Talking about wolves eating a village.

The wolves all want to give you their meat. I was playing a bit yesterday and three wolves generously followed me back to my current base and donated their meat to me right close to my door for easy harvesting.

edit-----------

There are too many wolves...and animals in general I think.....but especially wolves.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 3:03 PM, odizzido said:

The wolves all want to give you their meat. I was playing a bit yesterday and three wolves generously followed me back to my current base and donated their meat to me right close to my door for easy harvesting.

edit-----------

There are too many wolves...and animals in general I think.....but especially wolves.

I always get sick from eating wolf meat.  I get these worms which wont let me eat any more wolf meat...

I'm in a 400+ days stalker and, as many mentioned already, I too find the population of wildlife diminished significantly... Got two bases, one in CH  and one in MT, and both show decreased numbers of wolves as opposed to the first 200 days. Either avoid wolf crowded areas, or wait it out... Then again, you can always customize and tone them down a bit... 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng

There's a rather simple formula to how wolves are spread among the maps: resources plus pleasantries equals wolves. But while resources do not replenish, wolves do, and frantically so. So actually after ransacking a place that is rich in resources usually the best course of action is to get lost as fast and as far as you can, and only come back for the pleasantries if you need them. So basically... the better a place is the worse it is actually, and vice versa, making really bad places actually quite pleasant to live in.

Milton is the worst example of that, because you basically run from one pack spawn into the next, into the next, into the next. Basically the entire area inside the triangle church, gas station and farmstead is one big wolf party. At some point I had 7 wolf carcasses stacked on top of each other right in front of the Grey Mother's house in a stalker game and they still kept jumping me. It's the reason why I personally consider it wrong to label Milton a "Beginner's Map". Most of it, especially the name-giving town, is a combat zone, that's what it is. It's maybe easy to live there on Voyageur, but it's like the hardest place to be on Stalker. Sure, the sheer amount of resources to find is great, but you don't have to live there to take advantage of that.

Right up there with Milton is probably the Pleasant Valley farm that's not only infested with wolves but also has a bear coming to visit regularly plus the notoriously terrible weather that confines you to stay inside 3 out of 4 days, and the Quonset Garage that infamously even had wolves spawning ON the building until recently - plus the occasional moose to trample you for breakfast. (But it has a great store now ..... the water is ALWAYS FREE or so they say :D )

Basically every place in the world that matches the criteria 1. indoor cooking 2. workbench 3. decent storage has at least 2, usually 3 wolves frequently spawning basically right next to the building and/or permanently blocking access paths to it, with the Mystery Lake Camp office being probably the most forgiving one. The longer I play TLD the more I start to value secluded, quiet places that maybe have the occasional wolf coming by, but not entire squads terrorizing the area. Having a work bench, a great cooking place and/or lots of storage space is all nice and great, but it's hardly worth it if you begin every day with a wolf jumping in your face just because you wanted a bit of fresh air. Considering all this living in a cave might be a bit messy, but infinitely more relaxed. Edit: I've even spent weeks living in a snow shelter and had a relatively great time.

But yeah, even wolf populations start to die down with time. Thank goodness. 

Guest jeffpeng

FM is like the exception to the rule, true. It is a really "bad" place that is infested with wolves nevertheless. The northern part is somewhat okay-ish, the forge house is pretty much besieged, and all paths leading there are either treacherous or waylaid. I hate this map so much it's unreal :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived