Brandishing removal

Niajall

So i was watching what i am guessing was an early access/kick-starter YouTube video the other day and noticed a very interesting mechanic that seems to have been removed, Brandishing, as a new player (80+ hours recorded on steam, a lot more offline) i kinda want to know why it was removed? As a game that strives for realism, if a wolf or bear was to come within a melee range, swinging your torch, flare or even the storm lanterns feels much more "human" in terms of personal defence, while i like the ability to throw the lite torch or flare, i feel that hinterlands possibly took a step back in removing this and missed a perfect balancing opportunity i.e giving each swing mechanic a calorie cost e.g 50-200 calories per swing (possibly depending difficulty or custom setting).

It could of also transgressed to melee weapons, giving you options for personal defence i.e you can not just wonder up to the animals and swing wildly claiming kill after kill until you've "cleansed" a map of predatory wildlife, but in theory if a you have a knife or a hatchet on your persons and see predatory wildlife approaching (obviously if it ambushes you you wouldn't be able to do this) you would pull out said melee weapon and "brandish" that weapon like a flare/torch and if timed right and you made a visual connection with the animal you -can- skip the slow time struggle (it could still happen if you don't connect with the head of the animal for instance) and it would run off with a lower damange bleed (if you use a knife or hatchet) or just runs off for a slightly longer duration (pry-bar or hammer), i mean that is what i would do before it jumped on me, but again has a decent calorie burn to stop you just running around annihilating everything, its not like youd run up to a wolf/bear and hit it, especially if the wolf was in a pack and like with the cooking of vigilant flame, you could effectively make wood chopping or skinning interactions where you had to point and click to cut meat or hide off the carcass or chop to make cuts of wood, force open locked items, hammer those arrow heads.

All this is food for thought and open for major discussion as i love this game, the way it works and you interact with things, but i feel that the game is still skeletal and needs fleshing out to the extent of game design capability of course (not expecting miracles), the changes to the cooking prove that hinterlands is capable of making some tasks more of a background activity leaving you free to do other things but retaining that level of interaction and choice of waiting, or using what time you have to read or harvest a rabbit or clean that rifle, repair that jacket.

Archived