Update introduces confusing inconsistency in Inventory UI (Gamepad)

StandardFare

Hello Hinterland!

I noticed a change since update 1.34 to the handling of the Inventory UI for Gamepad (PC), which I personally find confusing and inconsistent. I do not know if this change was intended or not, because there was no mention in the changelog.

This is the way it was before the update: When opening the inventory (always, not only after reload), the focus is initally on the vertical category bar, and no cursor is displayed in the items table. When choosing a category with 'A - Select', a cursor appears in the items table. Then the focus is on the items table and the cursor can be moved to select and item. When pressing 'B - Back', the cursor on the items table disappears and the the focus is back on the category bar. When switching category, no cursor appears on the items table until you choose to "enter" the category. This visually strongly aided the awareness of where the focus lies: Category bar or items table. Imho, this was very intuitive especially when managing inventory really fast. It was the exact same way the Blueprints and Journal screens are controlled, which have not been altered by the update.

This is how it is after the update: When opening the inventory (only after reload, not upon second time), the focus is initally on the vertical category bar, and no cursor is displayed in the items table. When choosing a category with 'A - Select', a cursor appears in the items table. Then the focus is on the items table and the cursor can be moved to select an item. When pressing 'B - Back', the cursor on the items table disappears and the focus is back on the category bar. Fine so far. Now, when switching category, a cursor does appear on the top left item of the items table even though I have not yet chosen to "enter" the category! The only visual difference is that the Up/Down arrows remain on the category bar, telling me that the focus still lies on the category bar. The cursor on the itmes table in this moment is imho confusing and misleading, because I have not yet entered the category. After entering the category and moving the cursor accross items, I can press 'B - Back' to shift focus back onto the category bar. Pressing 'B - Back' again resumes the game, and now pressing 'Y - Inventory' leads -- unlinke after reload -- directly to Inventory with focus on items tables and restores cursor position from last use... fine, this saves one action (entering the category). But, please do not display the cursor on items table when switching category. Please only display that cursor after "entering" the category. Imho this is confusing and inconsistent, because the cursor disappears from the items table when you press 'B - Back', then reappears in the next category before entering it, allthough in both "states" the focus is on the category bar... there should be no difference.

It appears even more inconsistent when compared to the Blueprints and Journal screens. These remained exactly as they where before the update and yet, should be controlled in the same way as the inventory screen.

Kind regards! :- )

• 5 months later...

Archived