New Animals?

CeceR2020

First off, I feel the normal five animals (Wolves, Bears, Rabbit, Deer, and Moose) are getting a bit, well, boring. There are a ton of animals in the Canadian wilderness and one I've got to say has me thinking. Timber Wolf Mountain is supposed to be super challenging, unless I'm wrong, and really all you see is bad weather and wolves here and there. I had a thought, rather than having the same old wolves chilling up there why not make it a cougar/mountain lion/puma. They eat deer, livestock, and rodents they could be bigger than the wolves and give off a much difficult gameplay if you make them stalk the player, giving the player a feeling of being watched, could include a quote as of "I get the feeling I'm not alone up here" Or something to notify the layer the animal is around. Bison I feel could be added (Idk what regions though) and make them like the moose, will charge the player and give a good source of meat. The idea of your recent Bear Spear could involve this animal, the bison's skin/pelt could be the leather used to attach the blade to the stick, that or make it a...… Mountain goat. I know not super cool but a mountain goat could be a little twist. Maybe having it be noisy could attract predators making it a hard animal to get. It would also be cool if your player could build a boat (for in coastal highway or desolation point) to go in the exposed water, there so we could find whales or something. or have special and good supplies on the islands out there.

I don't know, it's an island after all, limited biodiversity makes some sense. I once dreamed my character was chased by a rather hostile mountain goat, by the way.

WHALES?! I could accept seals on the shore, but whales are too much. And with a working boat I'd just pile up a boatload (ha ha) of supplies and head south. No, it's not a good idea for a new challenge, it's just boat instead of blizzard.

Did anybody mention cougars? Just asking, I think nobody did yet.

I just want the wendigo.

42 minutes ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

regardless how high the condition of the target and thus chance of own death is.

Wait, unless they're cyborg wolves with bio-scanners they can't really judge the condition. They're even more attracted by the smell of blood and that's enough, maybe they should be especially attracted by particular sounds such as complaints for sprains and subsequent limping. If they learned to consider humans as slow moving animals with no horns it's not so crazy if they simply attack, always remembering the aurora thingy messed them up a bit.

I have pointed out my opinion about wolves and how they should be designed in this post.

Basically, they should be less in numbers and instead act as a smartly hunting pack. They shouldn't be locked to a place acting as some kind of meat mafia requiring you to pay the with some decoy as protection mafia in order to not get attacked! I am not even against the occasional desperate loner that acts like today´s wolves but it should be the exception, not the norm.

Seal lions could be really good. Harvesting a seal could be very fruitful if you managed to sneak up on one.  The fatty meat would be very nutritious. The blubber would provide a lot of lamp oil.  Breaching whales on the horizon could be very pretty. On that note, I think crashing waves in the ocean washing over the ice would be amazing. 

More than that, I think the game would benefit from more small animals. Foxes. Raccoons. Otters. Marmots. Stoats. Owls. Even if these animals only play an aesthetic role, like crows, I think that watching these animals interact with the player and with each other would makes the environment that much more immersive.

I would love to see more different animals. Its now nearly 4 years since TLD came out.. I love Hunting the common Wildlife, but sometimes after so many years its getting quite boring to be honest.... Ofc it shouldt not be like a zoo , where u can see every 3 meters a bunch of animals. Even just the implementation of Foxes would be great.

If the goal of this game is to give the player a realistic survival experince ( and yes i think that this is the goal of TLD * new cooking system )  the number of different animals should be increased for sure. 

1 hour ago, Otternaut said:

Seal lions could be really good. Harvesting a seal could be very fruitful if you managed to sneak up on one.  The fatty meat would be very nutritious. The blubber would provide a lot of lamp oil.  Breaching whales on the horizon could be very pretty. On that note, I think crashing waves in the ocean washing over the ice would be amazing. 

More than that, I think the game would benefit from more small animals. Foxes. Raccoons. Otters. Marmots. Stoats. Owls. Even if these animals only play an aesthetic role, like crows, I think that watching these animals interact with the player and with each other would makes the environment that much more immersive.

I'm actually on board with the mountain goat idea.

A few years ago I visited Olympia Nation Park with some friends on a road trip. I had twisted my ankle in Glacier NP a few days before that, so I paired up with one of my friends who had asthma for the hike up the mountain trail. On our way up, we took this quieter, twisting wooded trail we figured would be a softer incline. Well as we reached the top we turned a corner at this switchback, and there he was, this enormous buck mountain goat. This thing was a BEAST.  First of all it was tall, so tall. I only learned later that they're actually more closely related to antelope than other goats. And it was monstrous. It had shoulders like a gorilla. This thing could really mess us up in no time if it wanted to.  And I learned that they have in the past - in 2010 a guy was gored to death in Olympic by a rather aggressive mountain goat that stood over his body to make sure no one helped him as the man bled to death. Anyways, lucky for us this was not that kind of mountain goat. He was so chill. We slowly backed away while facing him, but he could've cared less about us.  Later we ran into him again. He came out of the woods into this grassy clearing where we were sitting down eating PB&Js. We sat there eating our sandwiches while he and some lady friends that were following him were eating some choice grass about twenty feet away. It was so zen. 

Yeah, I think a few mountain goats on top of Timberwolf Mountain would be great. If you leave them alone, they'll hang out with you.  If you throw a rock at them, they'll knock you off a cliff. I think it would be great.  Also, apparently there's a precedent for mountain goats on islands. Mountain goats were introduced to Kodiak Island in the 50s in Alaska where they incorporated themselves pretty seamlessly into the alpine ecology, and now they number in the thousands. Mountain Goats on Great Bear Island makes sense.     

On 6/24/2018 at 10:43 PM, Otternaut said:

I really agree with @Otternaut, I think more small animals would really improve the game. We got Moose recently which obviously is a large animal, but smaller animals the game is lacking in. Foxes, Owls, etc would be great additions to the game, but to add to the small animals Otternaut listed, I also think Beavers would be a great addition.  

• 1 month later...

Neds.  I think they should add neds.

If I visit any body of water in Scotland, planning to do a bit of quiet fishing, I am guaranteed there will be a flock of neds, getting jaked, shouting, throwing rocks....

You could hunt them for their pelts (hoodies and trainers) with a good chance of finding a knife.

:)

This has been discussed a million times and I've given my opinion a bunch and I'll do it again.

I'd like to see a fox added.

If you somehow manage to kill it you can get 0.3-0.5 KG of meat (less than most rabbits) and 1 gut, so it isn't worth trying to hunt, it's mainly just for a bit of visual fun. Have it occasionally appear in rabbit areas and hunt a rabbit, then despawn.  Have it run away as soon as it senses humans.

Next up, add owls.  Like crows, they can't be targeted for killing, just have them around doing stuff. Every once in a while have one swoop down onto the snow like it just caught a mouse or something.

To be honest these things would be like the stars and moon, mainly just to add to the beautty of the game.

Not so much a new animal as an adjustment of the existing ones: I'd love to see some does. With all these antlers around, Great Bear can feel like a literal stag party. I feel a little bad for these lonely boys! (Unless I'm misinformed, and TLD features a species of deer in which both female and male individuals routinely grow antlers?)

I don't know how well it would fit in. But I would like to see Canadians foxes or Canadian Lynx. I am pretty sure that they would be very difficult (almost impossible) to hunt considering how skiddish and fast they are. But that doesn't mean that you wouldn't find a corpse of one right? 

My other idea is a different kind of bear. Maybe a brown bear. 
Also, would a Polar bear be realistic for Desolation Point?

Archived