Food poisoning

cullam

Anyone know of a change to food poisoning systems, or just bad luck? I've just gotten food poisoning two meals in a row - from a cooked deer steak at 53% condition and a granola bar at 63% condition. I thought that white zone foods were generally safe to eat. I mean, not that them being in bad condition would have stopped me... but still. 

Granola bars are just the worst. Dont eat 'em lower than 70%.

To me, it seems some foods have different poisoning thresholds than others, I've never had food poisoning from anything over 55% unless it was from granola or peanut butter. So this is a little strange.

Things like sodas, and cooked canned foods have never given me food poisoning. No matter how low condition they were (I trash them below 10% for a speck of "realism" however.)

We need some Survival scientists to figure these numbers out for us, for now its just a series of loose rules with exceptions from sparse observations.

So far iv noticed that you can drink soda no matter the condition, Sardines have to be the sketchiest scavenged food in the game, but iv still only had food poisoning at or below 40%, once you've got your cooking up to the max, anything you've cooked can be eaten at any condition, iv found, cooked and eaten 0% condition (ruined) canned food before and been absolutely fine, and to some extent, i noticed after getting cooking maxed you are able to eat most ruined foods and suffer nothing, raw meat is the ultimate killer in my opinion, you can survive for long periods without food, regardless of hunger rate, but if you are starving with only raw meat, dont take that chance, you are more likely to survive trying to find other food, or making a fire and cooking the meat than eating it raw, unless you have antibiotics, but you still take a huge chance % on contracting Butt Worms, which in the long run could be more of a hindrance than simply searching for safer foods or making a fire, 10 days and 20 antibiotics later might not be enough considering how quickly your fatigue goes down with Butt Worms, personally id like to see them remove the option to eat raw meat as no one in their "right" mind would eat raw meat without at least attempting to cook it first, and with the new patch and placing raw meat from the radial menu i have gave myself food poisoning many time from a simple miss click, in fact it killed a fresh character yesterday because id found no medications, just my observations :p.

• 3 weeks later...

Sardines, peanut butter are my 2 problems. I save anything that is low condition and eat them just before bedtime (as long as I have meds). That way I get the calories and can cure the condition with 10 hours sleep. Suggest you be at or near top condition since sleep won't improve condition when sick.

15 minutes ago, K63 said:

I had always thought that cooked canned food was ok at any percentage, but found out there is a limit. After cooking up some peaches that were at 3% I spent the next day in my bunk.

Ouch:D:peaches: That is a pretty great way to get food poisoning 

13 hours ago, K63 said:

I had always thought that cooked canned food was ok at any percentage, but found out there is a limit. After cooking up some peaches that were at 3% I spent the next day in my bunk.

Ouch indeed!

Maybe I'm weird, but personally I find the gamble of the food poisoning system really exciting, haha. In desperate situations it really keeps me on my toes and makes me chew over the decision on whether I should gobble down the calories and risk losing condition and 10 hours to rest.

Getting food poisoning from a 56% condition granola bar recently put me in an extremely precarious position at Pleasant Valley. I ended up having to light a fire I knew wasn't going to last the 10 hours, put down the bedroll and rest. My condition was too low to risk running into a wolf, exhausted, encumbered and unable to run. I slept the 10 hours, woke up at under 60% condition in a howling blizzard and pitch black darkness. Hypothermia had set in and I was at risk of frostbite. My storm lantern had 0.2L of fuel left and wasn't going to last too long. I had no idea where I was going but I found a road and marched ahead blindly, thinking this was it. I was done for.

Thankfully, blizzards seem to keep all wildlife at bay and I managed stumble across an empty cabin. The relief was so sweet. Tore off all my wet, frozen clothes and dove straight into the bedroll for blissful warmth. I survived!

Incidentally, isn't it odd that bedrolls don't get wet/freeze? Or am I mistaken... Not complaining though!

23 hours ago, scuttlebum said:

Incidentally, isn't it odd that bedrolls don't get wet/freeze? Or am I mistaken... Not complaining though!

They don´t.

Exciting story though ^^. I sometimes get these sketchy food poisonings from food that is at 60-70% condition which is kinda weird but i definitly can relate to your experience. Granola bars however never ever gave me food poisoning :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:36 AM, scuttlebum said:

While playing in HRV it became clear that the backpack is quite "waterproof".
(I marked the remainder of this comment as a potential spoiler as HRV is rather new)

Good luck my friends! :coffee:

Your survivor can walk through waterfalls nude and then use the protected clothes from the backpack. Also, the windbreaker jacket can be a surprisingly worthwhile outer layer while climbing through the falls at the cave entrance.

Archived