Cooking raw meat on campfire (Vigilant Flame)

kukukodama

So I just started playing the Vigilant Flame update and I seem to be unable to cook raw meat next to the fire. I have tried to place it next to the fire on the stones that you put the cans on, but no button appears saying "place" when I am looking at the raw meat in my radial menu. Do I need a cooking pot in order to cook meat on a fire? I have been able to melt water in the can with no issues also, so I am at a loss.

It's still a bit tricky, like cooking directly on a stove top without a pot or pan.  Try dropping food on ground, then right click selecting the food item and drag it to the stone or hot plate. The food item should highlight green with a red stove top when good to place, click again to place. PC / mouse users anyways. OR place a pot on stove, click pot and select what you want to cook in the pot.

cooking003.thumb.jpg.ecbe3fbe64eed8b5eb9e4470522cb446.jpg

And you can now place food from the radial menu, too. I don’t know what the button is on PC, but you press it to place food. Just be careful you don’t hit “use” on a piece of raw meat, which will eat it and give you food poisoning. 

It's right click on the radial menu, the frustrating part is that the radial menu can only display a few food items, so if you carry high condition coffees and teas with you the meat won't be shown on the radial and you'll have to resort to dropping and dragging. 

Yes, but it sort of makes the radial pointless in this situation since you have to go into the inventory screen to add meat to the radial and then exit and select the radial again. Might as well just drop it on the ground and drag it, the key bind for dropping decoy helps immensely here. Unless the game remembers to always put raw meat in the radial, even after you cook that particular piece you selected to put there, does it?

I wonder if it wouldn't be better for the radial to display one food item of each "category" by default. I'm not 100% sure on how it works right now but I'm pretty sure it takes item condition when deciding which items to put there. 

I tend not to use the radial for food - I want to see the whole selection.  Mostly because I want to eat off the old stuff first and usually only want a certain number of calories.  What would be cool is if you could have the radial show highest calorie food first or lowest.

Also, I'm incapable of remembering its "right click" to cook the raw food.  I've ended up with more cases of food poisoning recently.  :D

Archived