Outdoor Loper Challenge

Stone

Has anyone had a go at Interloper without using any 'indoor' locations ever? Just wondering. I believe there are locations with all essentials outdoors but I'm not sure. Thoughts? Note: for navigation I believe mines would have to be allowed.

Right, I'm doing this next time its 'game'. Any tips would be much appriciated. I figure a TWM or FM start is my best chance. Lack of clothing is going to suck so getting up TWM is a priority. See how it goes. Its "Outerloper" time.

The all-outdoors-interloper will need a bedroll soon or will meet an untimely death due to exhaustion. Granted, cars or a snow shelter might do the trick, but then you will constantly be battling the cold. 

Ask one of the countless snowballs how many bedroll spawns there are on TWM.

Well, mr. TurkeySteam did a FM only challenge, taking up on Geltaz. This is even harder since you just can't find bedrolls in the skeg and he did really well. 

I guess that a fully outdoors challenge would be very doable but far from easy, good luck! If it's not much hassle, please do a  write-up on the survival stories section, I'd love to follow your journey. 

17 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Well, mr. TurkeySteam did a FM only challenge, taking up on Geltaz. This is even harder since you just can't find bedrolls in the skeg and he did really well. 

Ah, forgot that you have a bed in FM that might qualify as "outdoors". That would have to be defined for the challenge. Also whether the Mountaineer's Hut in TWM is "outdoors". And caves with loading screens? I presume you know the TWM-only run performed by the notorious @Drifter Manover 100 Days. We were discussing at the time that FM might be a worthy map to perform an "this-map-only" Interloper run as well. I would like to do it, but am currently tangled up in my achievement run, and available playing time is limited. Other TLD scientists are given the opportunity to extend our knowledge to FM-only Interloper survival. With new cooking recipes.

4 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I presume you know the TWM-only run performed by the notorious @Drifter Manover 100 Days. We were discussing at the time that FM might be a worthy map to perform an "this-map-only" Interloper run as well. I would like to do it, but am currently tangled up in my achievement run, and available playing time is limited. Other TLD scientists are given the opportunity to extend our knowledge to FM-only Interloper survival. With new cooking recipes.

I wasn't aware of that TWM-only challenge, thanks for pointing it out I'll search over to see if there's any reports in the survival stories section. :coffee:

I did try the skeg only challenge but I did not make it past three days because my strategy was doomed to fail, you can't rely on Old Spence in the long run because of the amount of firewood it takes to keep a fire going. You're not allowed to use feats so you will waste matches, unless you run up to poacher's and use the flare to light up the first fire. Turkey had the right idea of making a snowshelter. Atheenon claims it has been beefed up warmth-wise with the update. I'll have to check it out because as far as I'm aware it's always been a 15ºC bonus temp and complete windchill cancellation. 

There is also a good chance for a hacksaw(bunkhouses and the warm cave behind the northern bear cave) in FM which Turkey wasn't aware at the time so a really long run might be doable. He did use the marsh ridge cave, which would qualify as indoors I suppose but the challenge was to not leave FM. A outdoors-only + FM only survival challenge would be the ultimate test but nearly unsurvivable past a week or so.

I might give it a go to see how bad I fail, one could say this challenge would depend heavily both in player skill and luck to get a good loot table.

17 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I wasn't aware of that TWM-only challenge, thanks for pointing it out I'll search over to see if there's any reports in the survival stories section. :coffee:

It's here: 

I also tried Forlorn Muskeg, but because of the limited supply of matches (24 was the best I could find), survival longer than 2 weeks didn't seem possible. For this reason, I gave up trying to conquer FM.

Hushed River Valley is another candidate for and "outerlooper" challenge, it has more matches and also a bedroll is available. No crafting table though, which might make survival rather uninteresting.

7 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

It's here: 

Well, it took me nearly an hour to read through the thread but it was totally worth it. :coffee:

I'm a great advocate of the naked day one summit strategy, even if you do not get a hacksaw by the hut, but I've never seen the game mechanics being pushed this hard before. Congratulations on the achievement and I'll be sure to follow up on any other adventures you can manage to fit in your schedule, sir. 

I like to think of myself as a decent interlopist and good bowman but I'm terrible with the flare gun. I've picked up some valuable tips from your adventure and hopefully I can hit some wolves with the orange gun. Thanks for sharing you knowledge. :toque:

On 29/06/2018 at 1:34 AM, Dan_ said:

I like to think of myself as a decent interlopist and good bowman but I'm terrible with the flare gun. I've picked up some valuable tips from your adventure and hopefully I can hit some wolves with the orange gun. Thanks for sharing you knowledge. :toque:

Thanks, I can assure you I'm terrible at hitting anything with anything, the wolf hits were all scored at very close range. Good luck, I imagine that a wolf coat with extra big holes burnt out in it will be a potent deterrent for other wolves against giving you trouble :)

Archived