New Cooking System

Ahatch

Just want to say that this is a great update on the cooking system not only does it bring some reality it also makes cooking a task that can be done in the background . Just like at home when your playing The Long Dark and you put on a kettle of tea you can hunt wolves and listen for the whistle ;) . Anyway I was playing Pilgrim and I chased a wolf from his meal and carved myself up 8 kg of deer meat. I then went to the entrance of the ice cave built a nice fire and began cooking. Threw a couple steaks on the rocks . Says 1.5 hours to cook so I grab my "Guns Guns Guns" book read for an hour. Steaks almost done , pass time until complete grab them put two fresh steaks on and read another chapter. I know in an interloper run likely I would have froze by this time but it sure makes you see the potential upgrade to game play. 

Initially I didn't like the amount of time things took to cook, an hour for a kg of meat is a very long time. But in real time it is about 5 minutes, which gives you time to wander off, go collect more wood, check your traps, survey the area. If the cooking times we reduced to be more realistic in have time you would only have a minute or less to do other things, you'd be forever burning food and be stuck sitting in front of the fire.

I now realise I quite like the unrealistic game cooking times, because you're actually cooking things in real time - 10 minutes to melt and boil 2 litres of snow, 5 minutes to cook a kilo of meat, 2 minutes to make some tea. This gives you time to do other things, out just read a book, or just skip time. I have found that I'll just time a fire to burn out when the water is boiled and just go to bed and let it burn out and collect the fresh water in the morning.

It is a new learning curve, which is always a good thing, will just take time to master, which brings new life to the game.

Archived