So, here's the big question

stratvox

cant wait for mod Support so we can make crafting available everywhere without havng to use crafting tables (which is such an old mechanic and not even realistic)

cant wait to sit next to a campfire in a cave at the end of a day and crafting some arrows or sewing some furs together

3 hours ago, ben91 said:

cant wait for mod Support so we can make crafting available everywhere without havng to use crafting tables (which is such an old mechanic and not even realistic)

cant wait to sit next to a campfire in a cave at the end of a day and crafting some arrows or sewing some furs together

Some might like that but...no thanks.

It would take any challenge out.

I'm in HRV knowing that soon I will have to return to Milton to craft (my Wolfskin Jacket). I like that some things require a crafting table, in fact the more complex what you're making is the more natural it is to need the table.

Making it out and back would be an accomplishment to both your skill and growth as a survivor.

1 hour ago, RossBondReturns said:

Some might like that but...no thanks.

It would take any challenge out.

I'm in HRV knowing that soon I will have to return to Milton to craft (my Wolfskin Jacket). I like that some things require a crafting table, in fact the more complex what you're making is the more natural it is to need the table.

Making it out and back would be an accomplishment to both your skill and growth as a survivor.

sorry mate but you are wrong. not only does mod Support mean that Players are able to Play how THEY want, so it doesnt matter if you like it or not because you can Play the way you like and i can Play the way i like and everyone will be happy.

an other argument why it doesnt take any challenge out of the game is because i rather make the game more realistic in some aspects and Change other aspects to be more challenging. i already made a list of everything i will Change as soon as we are able to in an easy way, and trust me, after my changes, the game will be much more realistic than the way you Play, and a lot more challenging aswell.

dont get me wrong, i like how some items Need a forge to be crafted, but needing a workbench to craft an arrow or bow? really?
as i said, not only would it be so atmospheric to sit next to a campfire in a cave at night and craft some arrows while youa re waiting for your Food, ist also much more realistic

and sorry that i have to pick at your last comment "Making it out and back would be an accomplishment to both your skill and growth as a survivor.", but this is the biggest nonsense ive ever heard, not only because i argued that it would be so much better to make the game harder in other aspects, ist also funny because in the current state, even the hardest possible surival Settings are super easy and boring if you are good at the game.

52 minutes ago, ben91 said:

sorry mate but you are wrong. not only does mod Support mean that Players are able to Play how THEY want, so it doesnt matter if you like it or not because you can Play the way you like and i can Play the way i like and everyone will be happy.

an other argument why it doesnt take any challenge out of the game is because i rather make the game more realistic in some aspects and Change other aspects to be more challenging. i already made a list of everything i will Change as soon as we are able to in an easy way, and trust me, after my changes, the game will be much more realistic than the way you Play, and a lot more challenging aswell.

dont get me wrong, i like how some items Need a forge to be crafted, but needing a workbench to craft an arrow or bow? really?
as i said, not only would it be so atmospheric to sit next to a campfire in a cave at night and craft some arrows while youa re waiting for your Food, ist also much more realistic

and sorry that i have to pick at your last comment "Making it out and back would be an accomplishment to both your skill and growth as a survivor.", but this is the biggest nonsense ive ever heard, not only because i argued that it would be so much better to make the game harder in other aspects, ist also funny because in the current state, even the hardest possible surival Settings are super easy and boring if you are good at the game.

I think you're confused.

I love mods for TLD on the PC...and once they're all patched....I will use most of them. (Of note is that there has been no mod for PC to allow crafting of more complex articles without a crafting table because they all understand my following point).

Also that's my last talk about modding TLD since Hinterland doesn't like discussion of unofficial modding.

But...and this is my point...I will not use one (if one is ever introduced) that enables me to craft things that need a crafting table anywhere- because there's a reason that the ones that need a table need a table.

Crafting a bow or an arrow that works is not some simple thing...you'd absolutely need some kind of table to craft with...with clothing I'd argue that to make the best clothing you'd also need a table.

Perhaps give us the option to craft larger items without a table...but the first few attempts result in inferior results.

For a great many people making it out and back is certainly a challenge, especially on higher and customized above Interloper settings games. I've played over 1,400 hours and I still find the game a challenge- if the game wasn't still challenging me I probably wouldn't play it.

You can eventually use such a mod...and enjoy it I'm sure...but why would you?

You complain about the game being too easy...and that would be making it even easier.

I love mods for TLD on the PC...and once they're all patched....I will use most of them. (Of note is that there has been no mod for PC to allow crafting of more complex articles without a crafting table because they all understand my following point).

Also that's my last talk about modding TLD since Hinterland doesn't like discussion of unofficial modding.

i am not talking about unoffical modding. i never used one and will never use one. in almost every post i mention that mod Support is one of the most needed Feature in this game. and as Long as we dont get that Support, i can not enjoy the game because it is too boring.

But...and this is my point...I will not use one (if one is ever introduced) that enables me to craft things that need a crafting table anywhere- because there's a reason that the ones that need a table need a table.

Crafting a bow or an arrow that works is not some simple thing...you'd absolutely need some kind of table to craft with...with clothing I'd argue that to make the best clothing you'd also need a table.

are you really trying to argue that crafting a bow and an arrow requires a workbench? :DDDDDDDDDD
thats about the most nonsense Argument ive every heard here :D  wish i could go back in time and tell all the old civilizations that they are not allowed to craft anything without a workbench :D 

For a great many people making it out and back is certainly a challenge, especially on higher and customized above Interloper settings games. I've played over 1,400 hours and I still find the game a challenge- if the game wasn't still challenging me I probably wouldn't play it.

well, for me it is not a challenge anymore because it is just way too easy....thats why i am not playing. and i know a bunch of ppl who dont Play anymore for the same reason.

You can eventually use such a mod...and enjoy it I'm sure...but why would you?

You complain about the game being too easy...and that would be making it even easier.

why would i ? because it makes the game more realistic and atmospheric. And you also make the same mistake almost everyone here does when he argues.
you dont seem to realize that it is possible to make the game more realistic in some aspects (even if that means to make it a bit easier) but end up with a much harder and more challenging gameplay in the end, because you can make other thinks harder

i already have a list with about 50 minor/majory changes i will make as soon as we get mod Support, such as Setting the respawn time of wildlife to over 100 days to make hunting more challenging, changing Blizzards to last a couple of days, reducing the Overall world temperature, and so on...

....thats why i would Change it.....because in the end i would end up with a more realistic and more challenging gameplay.

and you can argue as much as you want that you dont like it because the game is still a challenge for you. thats the reason why i say all the time that we Need mod Support, because that way everyone can Play how he wants and everyone will be happy

sorry mate, but it Looks like i am not the confused one here. you jsut took my post out of context and dont seem to udnerstand that just because you like something, everyone else has to like it too

4 minutes ago, ben91 said:

i am not talking about unoffical modding. i never used one and will never use one. in almost every post i mention that mod Support is one of the most needed Feature in this game. and as Long as we dont get that Support, i can not enjoy the game because it is too boring.

are you really trying to argue that crafting a bow and an arrow requires a workbench? :DDDDDDDDDD
thats about the most nonsense Argument ive every heard here :D  wish i could go back in time and tell all the old civilizations that they are not allowed to craft anything without a workbench :D 

well, for me it is not a challenge anymore because it is just way too easy....thats why i am not playing. and i know a bunch of ppl who dont Play anymore for the same reason.

why would i ? because it makes the game more realistic and atmospheric. And you also make the same mistake almost everyone here does when he argues.
you dont seem to realize that it is possible to make the game more realistic in some aspects (even if that means to make it a bit easier) but end up with a much harder and more challenging gameplay in the end, because you can make other thinks harder

i already have a list with about 50 minor/majory changes i will make as soon as we get mod Support, such as Setting the respawn time of wildlife to over 100 days to make hunting more challenging, changing Blizzards to last a couple of days, reducing the Overall world temperature, and so on...

....thats why i would Change it.....because in the end i would end up with a more realistic and more challenging gameplay.

and you can argue as much as you want that you dont like it because the game is still a challenge for you. thats the reason why i say all the time that we Need mod Support, because that way everyone can Play how he wants and everyone will be happy

sorry mate, but it Looks like i am not the confused one here. you jsut took my post out of context and dont seem to udnerstand that just because you like something, everyone else has to like it too

You can do nearly everything you just posted you'd mod in by using Custom modes right now.

Also past peoples may not have had a workbench to make bows and arrows...but they needed knowledge...and had to learn from others. It was passed down through generations.

You are ostensibly a nobody, with no knowledge, dropped into the quiet apocalypse, therefore you in reality have no idea how to craft anything.

Dressings/Bandages/Tinderplugs and anything you can create anywhere would be something you could make without too much prior knowledge through trial and error.

Clothing/Bows/Arrows would take much study and book knowledge (curing/shaping/proper tools etc) much practice and failure. And even with that- your first few attempts would not end with perfection.

The longer you survive...the better your crafting skill should become...until if they add a crafting skill...at Level 5 you can craft anywhere. Now that would make sense to me.

Once again you can play how you want I'm not saying you can't...but I am saying that just because someone with great generational knowledge can craft bows and arrows in a cave by firelight...doesn't mean your character should be able to. Since you are a nobody, with no survival knowledge dropped into the quiet apocalypse.

I honestly hope you come back and play more because the new Region is certainly not easy at all.

Also do you mind if we converse about this in PM because a I have a few specific questions I wish to ask that can't be asked here and I'm enjoying this conversation?

6 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Go to the Trailer.

That's what I've done so far. Was wondering if maybe just maybe there'd be one stashed somewhere... maybe by that signal fire I've not managed to reach yet.

ETA: I'm actually there now, waiting for some deer hides to cure so I can patch up my pants and boots. I've noticed that arrows sometimes disappear when shooting animals... end up nowhere to be found. It seems to happen when the arrow bounces off the animal.

If someone could do some hunting and find out if this is affecting their games too that'd be very very useful.

40 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

You can do nearly everything you just posted you'd mod in by using Custom modes right now.

nope you cant, respawn time is only a couple of days, Blizzards only last for a couple of hours.....even the hardest custom Settings are way too easy for my taste

arguing as if i dont know what i am talking about doesnt bring us anywhere

Also past peoples may not have had a workbench to make bows and arrows...but they needed knowledge...and had to learn from others. It was passed down through generations.

You are ostensibly a nobody, with no knowledge, dropped into the quiet apocalypse, therefore you in reality have no idea how to craft anything.

Dressings/Bandages/Tinderplugs and anything you can create anywhere would be something you could make without too much prior knowledge through trial and error.

Clothing/Bows/Arrows would take much study and book knowledge (curing/shaping/proper tools etc) much practice and failure. And even with that- your first few attempts would not end with perfection.

The longer you survive...the better your crafting skill should become...until if they add a crafting skill...at Level 5 you can craft anywhere. Now that would make sense to me.

sorry mate but all your Argumentation about Knowledge etc is just nonsense.... considering the Setting this game takes place it is absolutly reasonable to be able to craft These Things without a workbench.

now your Argument about changing the skillsystem is finally a reasonable Argument. the Change of the skill System is already on my list for changes because they are designed to make the game much easier the higher you get (while this might make sense, it also takes away some of the most essential survival aspects in this game, for example not being able to get Food poisoning anymore etc.)

Once again you can play how you want I'm not saying you can't...but I am saying that just because someone with great generational knowledge can craft bows and arrows in a cave by firelight...doesn't mean your character should be able to. Since you are a nobody, with no survival knowledge dropped into the quiet apocalypse.

once again, considering the Setting this game takes place in it is abosutly reasonable to craft it without a workbench. ist not like that game takes place in some ancient timeperiod, where your Argumentation would make sense

I honestly hope you come back and play more because the new Region is certainly not easy at all.

i played the update, but after a couple of hours it was boring again.....i was really anticipating a harsh new Region but it is just too easy.... Caves everywhere, convenient placed campfires, logs and items everywhere.... absolutly not what i expected

as i said...for me and many other Players this game is just not as challenging anymore and as Long as they dont adress These issues or give us mod Support so we can adress These issues, this will not change

11 minutes ago, ben91 said:

nope you cant, respawn time is only a couple of days, Blizzards only last for a couple of hours.....even the hardest custom Settings are way too easy for my taste

arguing as if i dont know what i am talking about doesnt bring us anywhere

sorry mate but all your Argumentation about Knowledge etc is just nonsense.... considering the Setting this game takes place it is absolutly reasonable to be able to craft These Things without a workbench.

now your Argument about changing the skillsystem is finally a reasonable Argument. the Change of the skill System is already on my list for changes because they are designed to make the game much easier the higher you get (while this might make sense, it also takes away some of the most essential survival aspects in this game, for example not being able to get Food poisoning anymore etc.)

once again, considering the Setting this game takes place in it is abosutly reasonable to craft it without a workbench. ist not like that game takes place in some ancient timeperiod, where your Argumentation would make sense

i played the update, but after a couple of hours it was boring again.....i was really anticipating a harsh new Region but it is just too easy.... Caves everywhere, convenient placed campfires, logs and items everywhere.... absolutly not what i expected

as i said...for me and many other Players this game is just not as challenging anymore and as Long as they dont adress These issues or give us mod Support so we can adress These issues, this will not change

Except my argument makes PERFECT sense.

The Player character is not a wilderness survivalist...he or she hasn't been researching for crafting videos or survival websites.

You are an ordinary un-named Joe or Jill dropped into a desperate situation.

In fact a really fun challenge is to try and play each sandbox as if you've never seen these places before...since you haven't. To play as if you're building a new knowledge base each time is both exciting and a challenge.

Anyhow. I'm done here- enjoy your full modded out game later.

IMHO you'll always find yourself disappointed, even once full modding is supported- and it will be.

(If you were willing to try the mods now via the PC- if you have it on PC- you'd certainly have a much harder time of it).

3 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Except my argument makes PERFECT sense.

The Player character is not a wilderness survivalist...he or she hasn't been researching for crafting videos or survival Websites.

You are an ordinary un-named Joe or Jill dropped into a desperate Situation.

what makes you think that you know absolute everything about that character? i am no wilderness expert and i would certainly be able to craft a decent bow+arrows without specific knowledge and a workbench :D
or in other words to make it more clear for you: how do you dare to tell other People what their personal character in a sandbox game is supposed to be according to your opinion?
actually, i am a Little bit shocked how someone could even come up with the idea to argue that way.
again you seem to have a certain opinion about something and desperatly try to force other People to think/feel the same. thats a very dangerous characteristic if you ask me, not to mention that this is not really a way to argue.

In fact a really fun challenge is to try and play each sandbox as if you've never seen these places before...since you haven't. To play as if you're building a new knowledge base each time is both exciting and a challenge.

again, what is your Problem that you try so hard to convince People of your opinion? i totally could not care any less if you enjoy something like that, fact is that i would never Play like that and pls stop trying to convince me to do something you like.

Anyhow. I'm done here- enjoy your full modded out game later.

IMHO you'll always find yourself disappointed, even once full modding is supported- and it will be.

yes, i am someone who likes Progress and improvement, so once i have modded everything how i like it i will slowly notice new Things i want to Change and then Change them, what is wrong with that? identifying Things i dont like -> improve them -> enjoy the game -> identifying -> improving....etc
(thats the way i like to enjoy a game, and i dont care if you like it or not. at least i am not trying to force you to like it, like you Keep trying to do)

and my honest opinion is that you seriously have to Change something in your mindset because desperatly trying to convince ppl or even forcing them to think like you is a serious issue

I'm sorry mate I don't see me forcing you to try anything. Nor forcing you to agree with me.

I'm offering possible play ideas you may not have done.

As for the first point that you referenced actually the game simply states that each new sandbox is a new person dropped randomly (I personally use random start...I'm not forcing you to ) into an unknown location. It is implied by the need to research books, and the fact that your skills improve over time up to level 5 that you have next to no survival skills at the start of each sandbox.

So whether or not we personally know more about survival as individuals has absolutely no impact on the sandbox survivor, his or her knowledge, or the eventual possible update to allow all crafting anywhere.

If you enjoy that kind of thing once modding officially happens then by all means enjoy it.

I would think it would be quite logical for any survivor who gets to 5 on a skill to for instance Archery be able to craft a Bow or Arrows anywhere, however until modding becomes a thing I'm happy with the tools Hinterland has provided us with.

My best guess would be crafting anywhere, for the Clothing and Weapons tiers would probably really unbalance the game.

Anyhow, no hard feelings- enjoy surviving out there.

On ‎19‎.‎06‎.‎2018 at 1:07 AM, RossBondReturns said:

As for the first point that you referenced actually the game simply states that each new sandbox is a new person dropped randomly (I personally use random start...I'm not forcing you to ) into an unknown location. It is implied by the need to research books, and the fact that your skills improve over time up to level 5 that you have next to no survival skills at the start of each sandbox.

So whether or not we personally know more about survival as individuals has absolutely no impact on the sandbox survivor, his or her knowledge, or the eventual possible update to allow all crafting anywhere.

and again! that might be your idea of the game, but that doesnt mean that EVERYONE else has to think the same. personally for me that Argument and Interpretation is the biggest bullshit ive ever heard here. so again.....i understand that you have your own idea of the game BUT STOP trying to convince other Players that they have to Play the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reason why i am looking Forward to mod Support and Change that System, ebcause i dont like it.

If you enjoy that kind of thing once modding officially happens then by all means enjoy it.

now you say i should enjoy the game however i want but in the next Response you will desperatly try to convince me about your opinion about the game like you did every single time.

I would think it would be quite logical for any survivor who gets to 5 on a skill to for instance Archery be able to craft a Bow or Arrows anywhere, however until modding becomes a thing I'm happy with the tools Hinterland has provided us with.

well, and as i ahve said many times....in my competetive nature i am not happy anymore with what they provide us. but unlike you i seem mature enought to accept that you are hapy with it, even tho i am not with the current game.

My best guess would be crafting anywhere, for the Clothing and Weapons tiers would probably really unbalance the game.

well, for you it might unbalance the game. for me it would make the game more atmospheric and fun to Play and in combination with all the other changes i would make to the game i would also have a much much more challenging gameplay than most other Players have.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, ben91 said:

Have You No SOUL?

They arranged it so that certain combinations of bodies and carcasses arange themselves given certain random parameters. Each play through is a different story. The guy cooking moose meat and the moose carcass appear together, but the moose carcass and the moose satchel don't (so far). The guy in the cave with the knife in the wolf carcass and he's lying there, hand outstreached for a bandage. He won the battle, lost the war. The guys who fell off the cliff. The guy who died in the ice cave by falling does not appear if the two guys in the next cave over spawn, because they killed each other. Muffy does not appear if you find the wolf carcass at a certain location in the ice cave.

If HLG is reading this, well done. To all of you. You certainly stepped up your game. I tip my hat to you. I thought I'd just slam out a few lore videos on the place, but it's taken playing 3-4 hours a day since the new patch dropped to get where I am and I know I'm maybe half done. I need to go do about three more play throughs in the area to confirm I got everything.

All the cache boxes scattered about. All the loot. All the stories.

ben91, It's just a bunch of numbers to you, isn't it? Go find the loot, rack up a high score, call it a day.

Sigh, I feel sad for you.

19 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Have You No SOUL?

They arranged it so that certain combinations of bodies and carcasses arange themselves given certain random parameters. Each play through is a different story. The guy cooking moose meat and the moose carcass appear together, but the moose carcass and the moose satchel don't (so far). The guy in the cave with the knife in the wolf carcass and he's lying there, hand outstreached for a bandage. He won the battle, lost the war. The guys who fell off the cliff. The guy who died in the ice cave by falling does not appear if the two guys in the next cave over spawn, because they killed each other. Muffy does not appear if you find the wolf carcass at a certain location in the ice cave.

If HLG is reading this, well done. To all of you. You certainly stepped up your game. I tip my hat to you. I thought I'd just slam out a few lore videos on the place, but it's taken playing 3-4 hours a day since the new patch dropped to get where I am and I know I'm maybe half done. I need to go do about three more play throughs in the area to confirm I got everything.

All the cache boxes scattered about. All the loot. All the stories.

unlike you i respect your opinion about the new map and i am happy for you that you enjoy it.

but personally i really dont enjoy The new area because it feels so "staged"... everywhere you go and everything you find seem so planned by the developers. every single log of Wood, every Cache, every camp, every camprfire you find...all i can think about is the idea behind that from the developers.
some Players might enjoy it, but i really dont like it.
not to mention that the new area is not really the challenge i expected it to be.

ben91, It's just a bunch of numbers to you, isn't it? Go find the loot, rack up a high score, call it a day.

its about the experience for me. i really like challenging and atmospheric gameplay, and the new map is None of that for me. no matter how much you like it, you have to grow up and respect the opinion of other ppl who dont like it

Sigh, I feel sad for you.

ohh really, just because i criticize the game you like so much and speak for all These ppl who dont agree with you and dont enjoy it that much?

it might make you sad but i am sitting here and laughing so hard when i see how personally insulted you feel by my criticizm about the new upadate you like so much :D 

On 6/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, ben91 said:

ohh really, just because i criticize the game you like so much and speak for all These ppl who dont agree with you and dont enjoy it that much?

it might make you sad but i am sitting here and laughing so hard when i see how personally insulted you feel by my criticizm about the new upadate you like so much :D 

What? Oh no. No no no... I feel sad for you because you miss the point. Yes. It is staged. Very much so. There are many interlocking stories in that map. If you were looking for challenging game play, ain't gonna find it.

Please. Criticize the game. By all means. You will only make the game stronger for it.

What I am sad about is that you obviously don't "feel" it. They tried in the past but this is the first map where they actually got it right. This is the first map, I have to say, that actually tells a story. The other bodies? Randomly placed. I can tell. A few, VERY FEW bodies actually have a story to them. Onas. The guy who fell from the railing. The bodies at the cabin with the outhouse. They had some stories, but so many others are just "Well, we need a reason to leave loot here".

Sorry, from a "feelings" perspective, they nailed it with the new map. They show it, not tell it. As a writer, I find it very well done.

Your game mechanic complaints are about the game mechanics, not this individual map. And oh, I can complain about the game mechanics. Lord I could complain about them. I could go on for HOURS about the mistakes there... But the storytelling? No. They nailed it. Spot on. Best yet. No question. Better then the actual story mode in my opinion.

15 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Sorry, from a "feelings" perspective, they nailed it with the new map. They show it, not tell it. As a writer, I find it very well done.

Your game mechanic complaints are about the game mechanics, not this individual map. And oh, I can complain about the game mechanics. Lord I could complain about them. I could go on for HOURS about the mistakes there... But the storytelling? No. They nailed it. Spot on. Best yet. No question. Better then the actual story mode in my opinion.

well, taht is your opinion, i am talking for the Players who feel jsut like me and dont like the new map at all. i was expecting a new, harsh, randomly generated map, untouched by humans. and what i found was humans, and signs of humans everywhere. and some Players just dont like that and would prefere to experience an untouched map.

actually when i was exploring the map i almost felt like playing an old nintendo game. so many different Levels of Terrain, hidden treasures (boxes) everywhere and you have to look out for them, some new mechanic to block of entrances and hidden paths with some bushes, the only Thing that was missing was an endboss in one of the ice Caves

the only Thing that will bring me back to the game will be mod Support so i can create my own personal hardcore survival game. there are also hundrets of awesome ideas in the with list section of the Forum and without mod Support we will probably never ever see something of that coming to the game.

I'm not sure where you got the randomly generated region idea from.

Never once was random generation even mentioned....what was mentioned was the following:

"Our goal with this new region is to create an environment that doesn’t have a single human-made shelter on it — so, even more rugged and isolated than Timberwolf Mountain with its lonely Mountaineer’s Hut. This new region has also been a test-bed of sorts, for a new approach to how we create our environments, including new rocks and more varied tree density. We’ve also added a new type of cave system, redone our waterfalls, and have focused on having the entire region be more of an “environmental” puzzle for you to solve. We’re also experimenting with varying elevations and a range of climbing (or caving) options to find your way around. "

Also Untouched by Humans means...no man-made shelters, not unexplored by humans. Some people from Milton knew the area to be treacherous but ordinarily possible to pass... clearly the landslide at the end cut off the usual route...and unable to make it back one person set up a signal fire at the highest point as a last ditch effort to try and alert possible rescuers to his position.

There's lots of silent storytelling in HRV.

• 2 weeks later...

@ben91
As a youngster from age 9 through to 11, my friends and I used to craft hunting (short) bows and arrows and go hunting rabbits in the woods near our homes.  At first we started with "suitable" branches, non-stretch manmade fibre twine (e.g. fisherman's plastic net-yarn), and garden canes from bamboo. 

My father being a time-served cabinet maker with more woodworking tools than you could imagine had a full workshop in the garage.  I experimented with his tools and with the choice of sapling or stick for making the bow.  I got pretty good with all the variations of spokeshave for shaping the bow stave.  I also experimented with his spindle lathe to turn my own arrow shafts.

By the time my mates and I had been messing around with bows and arrows for about 18 months, I'd progressed from a rough youth-size shortbow firing 80-100 yards to a fully crafted and correctly proportioned youth longbow firing 300 yards to embed an arrow 3 inches into a telegraph pole.  Some "rival" (teenage) kids with .22 air rifles that had been plaguing us in the woods for months also learned a few lessons in the process.  The bows we made back then would be illegal in the UK now outside of registered archery clubs and historical re-enactment societies.

Yes, you can make a marginally effective bow and arrow with just a knife and no workbench, but it'll have limited range and penetration, and the arrows will oscillate in flight.  Using the correct tools, workbench, and the right selection of woods (yew for the bow and ash for the arrows) will give you a far superior weapon with much greater stopping power.  It would also be the bow to drop a deer with one shot from 200 yards like we do in game, or to one-shot a wolf or bear in full charge mode.  You can prattle about primitive societies all you want, but remember they never hunted alone and (e.g.) a bear would be getting hit by 4-8 archers in rapid succession.

Also, the choice of feathers for the flights is not arbitrary - goose or swan quills are still the best you can use on your arrows, but regardless of the plumage, they need glued on, then bound with a fine thread ... good luck splitting coarse gut fine enough without a feathering board and workbench clamp to hold it - the entire gut length has to be drawn over the feathering board in one smooth movement (and that means walking backwards for 20-ish yards).  It can be done in shorter lengths, although each goose-fletched arrow will still need a single 10-foot thread to bind the flights correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 12:30 PM, ben91 said:

Why don't you do this IRL and see how you do.  Also, it needs to be good enough to take down a deer/bear/wolf.  Waiting for those pictures :)

• Admin locked this topic

Archived