Not instantly useing an Item after selction in ItemWheel

Sopinien

This is a fairly simple thing I’d like to have changed in The Long Dark... If you eat / use an item in the Long Dark item wheel it will be instantly used or will be partially used until the "item use time" (the "using" circle thingy filling up) is completed.

Especially now with the fairly nice cooking update i found myself accidentally missclicking leftclick on a RAW meat instead of rightclicking it and placing it on the cooking spot... Resulting in me eating like 10% of the raw meat before I could cancel... Giving me instant and frustrating food Poisoning.

It would be nice if items are only "used/eaten" once the "Use Time" has been completed... Meaning you could cancel it during the time you take to use/eat said item... Or maybe have the player confirm the usage of the selected item before using it.

Its worth discussing though, if this is really necessary... since it only happens to me every now and then. I do find it quite frustrating when it happens ... But I could avoid the trouble by just paying attention I guess.

5 minutes ago, Sopinien said:

Its worth discussing though, if this is really necessary... since it only happens to me every now and then. I do find it quite frustrating when it happens ... But I could avoid the trouble by just paying attention I guess.

It’s definitely a problem- you’re not the only one to have brought it up. But I’m not exactly sure that we should fix it for the long term: in a few months from now, it’s likely most of us would have gotten used to it

10 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

It’s definitely a problem- you’re not the only one to have brought it up. But I’m not exactly sure that we should fix it for the long term: in a few months from now, it’s likely most of us would have gotten used to it

If it is a problem, "in a few months...", is leaving an unnecessary barrier to enjoying the game in place for no good reason.

The proposed fix would take away the ability to nibble on an MRE. Without a mechanism for using portions of stuff it would be better to have an optional popup confirmation for eating raw meat.

Archived