thekillergreece

Perfect base... Now?

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Lake Overlook Cave...when I am in ML is actually my base of choice... I'm more outdoorsy and it's pretty central

Edited by Cr41g
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 11:34 PM, thekillergreece said:

I stopped playing The Long Dark since Summer 2017 because I wanted to allow more and more updates to be released it which would make the game all new and refreshing. They added Moose but I did not play to try it at all. They added new cooking system and I decided to restart my whole running session starting from yesterday and I am happy that I did that. I would spend hte whole summer playing this beautiful game.

Now. They added Broken Railroad (I do know it has some good shelters but is it worth it?), Mountain Town and Hushed River Valley.

They added moose, new cooking system which means a house with a stove up to 6 cooking slots is now recommended. So, I need your help guys which region should I form my base? I used to form my base at Waterfront Cottages in Coastal Highway. But they added the new cooking system so its probably not worth it anymore. Not to mention it only has a fire place and no stove. Oh, not to mention I might as well feel "repetitive" by forming same base again, again and again. (1st run which lasted like 200+ days, my base was at Waterfront Cottages. Second run which lasted 60+ days my base was at the same location, same house. I dont want my third run to be the same lol).

Suggestions please as I gather supplies. <3

If you want to exploit the cooking mechanic then you want to set your base up at the old Barker farm house in Milton.  As I scavenged the town on my last play through I ended up with 6 cooking pots which is totally awesome when you want to mass produce potable water for your base.  Much better than Pleasant Valley farmhouse just due to the fact you've  limited wood resources as compare to all of the replenishing limbs, branches and sticks you find around the farm house in Milton.

Not to mention the relative close proximity to various hunting areas with an abundance of wildlife.  Found my first rifle in car in Milton.  That never happened beforfe and i have been playing this game for years now... lol.   What else is nice about Milton as a home base is the ease of which you can get to Hushed River, Mystery Lake or Forelorn Muskeg.  

On 6/29/2018 at 11:21 PM, piddy3825 said:

If you want to exploit the cooking mechanic then you want to set your base up at the old Barker farm house in Milton.  As I scavenged the town on my last play through I ended up with 6 cooking pots which is totally awesome when you want to mass produce potable water for your base.  Much better than Pleasant Valley farmhouse just due to the fact you've  limited wood resources as compare to all of the replenishing limbs, branches and sticks you find around the farm house in Milton.

Not to mention the relative close proximity to various hunting areas with an abundance of wildlife.  Found my first rifle in car in Milton.  That never happened beforfe and i have been playing this game for years now... lol.   What else is nice about Milton as a home base is the ease of which you can get to Hushed River, Mystery Lake or Forelorn Muskeg.  

Yeah I'm really liking this location, I feel like with the new cooking system 6 pots for cooking is so crucial for running an efficient base. At trapper's cabin I felt like I spent so much of my time cooking on the two burner stove.

• Upvote 1

Bumping this just for a little bit!

It's been months last time this was commented on so I thought bumping this MIGHT help new players settling a headquarters base! I hope that's ok.

I set up three bases so if I feel like a change of scenery it's easy to get up and go. They're at the fishing camp, the camp office and the mountaineer hut. All have fishing because I'm a horrible shot with the bow.

• Upvote 1

Something I discovered for myself only recently (as I wasn't aware of it until @peteloudmade a post about it) is the Milton Basin Cave. The cave is spacious and as warm as any, you only have one or two wolves patrolling the ice plains which is easy to overlook from a distance (especially since the cave is slightly elevated), there is a lot of firewood to almost sustain a permafire without ever leaving the area. You get to enjoy mild Milton weather, it has two rabbit spawns and up to 3 deer, and together with the wolves (assuming you have cooking 5) you can sustain yourself down there for a very long time. When stuff runs out, you can make a short climb-less trip to FM's Marsh Ridge which has firewood o' plenty, not no predators and more rabbits. A crafting table is just up two ropes at the Farm, and, of course, the forge in FM is less than a day away.

It's my steady no. 2 end-game-shelter right behind The Ravine . It's arguably easier to sustain than living in the Ravine and you have a short way to the forge, but you have to look out for wolves every day and overall world accessibility is not as good with the Ravine basically being right in the middle of ML, CH and PV.

Edited by jeffpeng
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TurkeySteam said:

I set up three bases so if I feel like a change of scenery it's easy to get up and go. They're at the fishing camp, the camp office and the mountaineer hut. All have fishing because I'm a horrible shot with the bow.

Are they good enough for cooking?

3 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Are they good enough for cooking?

I do most cooking outdoors in the fishing huts, fishing for an hour while things cook behind me. I do like the giant stoves but I never really use more than two spots. The camp office has a 2 spot upstairs and a potbelly down if you really want to get some water going.

The six burner stoves are really helpful, but six cooking pots aren’t that necessary. Meat or fish can just be placed on the stove with no pots, and if you have at least a couple of pots, you can use them to make water while you cook meat. Eventually, making 12l of water at a time with two cedar or one fir becomes overkill. 

Why is there no love for the hydro dam for a base? It’s central to everything, with close access to 2 maps, and decent access to 2 more. There’s more storage than you could ever fill, multiple work benches, two outdoor safe zones with books and crannies good for blocking the wind, thousands of hours of wood, a moose, deer, and wolf spawns nearby, and some decent views. It isn’t the prettiest place in the game, but it certainly makes for a good base. 

Another vote for the Pleasant Valley Farmstead. There's a bear that moves by that you can shoot from the porch. The wolves out in the field are easy to avoid. You're fairly close to a fishing hole if you like fish, deer and bunnies close, and that sweet, sweet six slot stove. 

On 6/20/2018 at 11:56 AM, Erutor said:

This does not appear to be true as of the latest version. The fireplace in the TWM hut has two cooking spots.

As does the fireplace in Gray Mother's house.

Fireplace.png