Vigilant Flame - game crash at start

MueckE

Just installed the update but can't play. After starting, the game crashes at the disclaimer page right at the beginning (stops loading) so i don't enter the main menu.

To mention something interesting, my steam- and the gamesettings are normally set to english. So the disclamer also has always been in english. Now the disclaimer is in german (my country) although my steamsettings still are in english and i didn't change something ingame. I think i read something about localization in the update notes, maybe there is a problem.

Hi MuekE, thanks for your post. The game determines what language to display for the disclaimer by looking at your operating system's language and region settings. This *shouldn't* impact your ability to load the game but we can certainly investigate. Can you tell us what your system's region and language is currently set to?

Also If you haven't yet done so, please run through the basic troubleshooting steps posted here , as this can help out rule out possible problems. If you don't see any improvement, please share your debug log so we can take a closer look at what might be going on behind the scenes.

My System is set to german. Steam and TLD are set to english.

XP32b, FX6300, 4GB, GT640 - I know ... oldschool :P but i can play with good fps on graphics set to medium. That's not it.

I remember that this happened before with an update. I am not 100% sure, but 90% sure that this problem had been fixed at some point already and this is a reappearance. You know better. But if you take a look at your database you will find that issue and how it had been fixed before.

I have the same problem after update (last time there were no problems with the game) . I just append crash event description: the game freezes a few seconds after you press the any key on the disclaimer page (Fade animation of "Loading..." label just stoping) .

• Locale Steam/OS: Russian
  • CPU: Intel i5 m520 2,4 GHz
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • GPU: Nvidia  GT 325M

Trying dx9/dx11 mode, game integrity check, game reinstall - doesn't help. If it comes handy, today was a OS update: KB890830, KB4284826, KB915597. 

P.S. Judging by the log resources of the new map are not loaded?

output_log.txt

Hi @nikrad, thanks for providing your log and letting us know what steps you've tried.

From your log it looks like your system might be running out of memory, however if it's been working until now and nothing has changed about your hardware, we're not quite sure why this would happen. The update shouldn't have significantly impacted memory usage.

Have you already tried checking that your NVIDIA drivers are up-to-date?

On the crash moment, tld.exe process have about 800 MB memory usage (totaly usage of memory by all proccess at this moment was near 2 GB / 52 %). However, last mounth there was no any problems with game performance (i'm playing on middle settings).

I've recheked for gpu drivers updates... NVIDIA doesn't release any updates for my graphic adapter since 2016 :-D

I experience the same problem, my system specs are also similar, low end pc with 4 GB RAM.
Whats strange about this is that I managed to start and load a savegame without problem right after the update was applied. After a reboot the above mentioned freeze keeps happening.

output_log.txt

I know this problem was at some point already there, but i can't remember what the issue was. I think one time it had something to do with the sound in the intro and one time it was something with graphics cards or drivers.

I'm almost sure it was a driver issue and appeared with an unity update. ofc that doesn't mean it's the same this time, but the crash after "press any key" is the same.

Thanks everyone for your posts!  We've had some reports of the game being flagged and in some cases quarantined by security software since the recent update, which might explain some cases of it failing to load from the disclaimer screen.

We considered this flagging to be a false-positive -- our game doesn't contain code that can impact your system or settings and our distributors, (Steam, GoG, Microsoft) have extremely thorough scans and checks we must pass before we are approved for release.

If you think your security system may have incorrectly flagged or quarantined The Long Dark and is interfering with its ability to run, you might have to open your security program and manually restore the game from Quarantine, or add the game to your Trust List. Please give it a try and let us know if it helps!

I have no security software installed. Also the inbuild security of Windows (XP - like firewall) is disabled in my case.

(please no comments on security :P - i know)

So in my case, it's definitely not security/antivirus software.

I've done rollback recent windows updates and stopped Windows Defender service (my environment don't have other security softaware). Launch as a root, changing ACL rules of game folder, minimize UAC settings - don't give any effects. Any ideas?

P.S. The error in output log has not changed:

async texture load: failed to load heightmap_rivervalley from archive:/CAB-da9bcd10b8fa371f9450c7fe89f312aa/CAB-da9bcd10b8fa371f9450c7fe89f312aa.resS

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Just a heads up for any newcomers: we've been finding threads that contain a lot of different people with different specs a bit difficult to manage . We'll try our best to assist and support everyone who has posted already, but we ask that if you've just arrived and are also having this issue to contact our support e-mail at support[at]hinterlandgames.com with your debug log, system spec information, and any details on what you have already tried.

@MueckE, it would help us investigate if you could try running the game in DX9 mode and then share your debug log with us if you're still experiencing this issue. If you're not sure how to do this, instructions are posted here

@nikrad and @nuhb , both of you appear to have systems that are below the minimum specs recommended for the game. We're on the lookout for issues on our side, but it may be that this update has pushed the game a beyond what your machines can easily handle and an upgrade might be required.  That said, if there are any steps in the above posts haven't yet tried, please give them a shot.

@Support, you are absolutely right that my hardware environment needs to be update - my notebook is ten years old... 

But i'm a little bit confused, as i said above, i'm was played on medium graphic settings without any performance problems. So, which minimum spec my hardware don't passed after update (in comparing with your minimum spec published in Steam)?

I'm hope your team will found answer, or in a pinch, update official technical requirements.. -_-

Thanks, here is the new output.log started in DX9, and an older version (from TheLongDark\tld_Data).

I normally play tld without forcing DX9 (WinXP doesn't support DX11 anyway). I now tested using the -forceDX9 command and using the bat files.

One thing to mention:

I also tried using borderless_dx9.bat. and although there are no "launch commands", when ii now try to start normally it still starts in a  window. So i now can't start the game fullscreen anymore no metter what i do. It doesn't change back to fullscreen.

My Desktop resolution is 1024x768, ingame it is 800x600.

output_log_DX9.txt

output_log_DX11.txt

oh, and i found the same error in the output_log like @nikrad  :

async texture load: failed to load heightmap_rivervalley from archive:/CAB-da9bcd10b8fa371f9450c7fe89f312aa/CAB-da9bcd10b8fa371f9450c7fe89f312aa.resS

and another one:

WARNING: BC6H/BC7 texture format is not supported, decompressing texture

On 16/06/2018 at 1:43 AM, nikrad said:

@Support, you are absolutely right that my hardware environment needs to be update - my notebook is ten years old... 

But i'm a little bit confused, as i said above, i'm was played on medium graphic settings without any performance problems. So, which minimum spec my hardware don't passed after update (in comparing with your minimum spec published in Steam)?

I'm hope your team will found answer, or in a pinch, update official technical requirements.. -_-

Hi mate.

Probably is graphics card since they made visual improvements. My system is old too, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 4,00GB double-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz, motherboard Asus P5Q-PRO, GeForce GTX 275 (896 mb vram) and i'm having the same problem.

The game was working fine at medium graphics settings, thou i was playing at 30 fps.

Probably is like u say, they need to update the minimum requirements now.

Cheers.

That maybe is an issue, but not the reason for the crash. My thread here (shame on me) is also the second one about the same crash and in the other thread both players have good PCs with win10, 16GB, GTX1080 and drivers up to date.

Let's put it simple: The "low end" hardware is not the problem here because players with high end specs have the problem too.

6 hours ago, Loliniel said:

So what are we supposed to do if we have machines that are now below the minimum specs and can't afford to get new hardware?

Is not sure that the problem is "low-end" hardware, but if it is devs should add an option to disable this new visual effects they added. let's wait for an hotfix.

Thank you to @MueckE and everyone else who has replied with details about this issue. We're currently investigating some possible issues with the new content that might interfere loading on some systems.

While we do so, we encourage anyone who has not already tried the steps posted here for resolving common issues to please go through them, as they go a long way to helping us rule out possible problems. We appreciate the help!

Hello, comrades!

Most likely it just a ordinary bug and it will be fixed in next updates... There are a "solution" (crutch) to fix the problem - remove two files in "tld_Data" folder:

rivervalley.manifest
rivervalley
As i understand, those two files respond only for map functionality (sketch, display) in new location, so there are just one limitation after this action - you will not be able to use map in new "River Valley" location (the map will be empty, as if you have never filled it).

P.S. Solution is not mine, i just duplicate it for deprived fans like me ^_^. @Support, i hope this will help developers to fix bug ASAP. 

Hi @nikrad,

We don't recommend Players to go into the game's folders and remove or delete any files. The deletion of files may provide a temporary solution, but might introduce longer standing issues such as save data corruption, or other negative long term effects if the game is played with files missing or deleted. We are currently investigating this issue and aim to resolve it in a timely manner.

I had the same issue and could not start the game. But now i fixed it for me.

After i changed my steam language to english the game launched without any problems. I had before german Win 10 and german steam and german tld setttings and now only changed steam to english. For me this was the fix.

i have the same problems. i got 174+ hours played and actually alot more cause i run the dx9 bat without steam on so there is no telling how many hours i actually do have played. i know my computer isnt up to specs but ive played countless hours on low setings without any hiccups and enjoyed it. i love this game and i hope one day i can play it again :( 

output_log.txt

Archived