The Long Dark updated to v1.33 [37608] — VIGILANT FLAME

Admin

I agree with a lot of the other comments here regarding the cooking. It takes WAY TOO LONG and too much fuel. The cooking is an extra hindrance which is getting in the way of what made long dark fun. Also, the controls for operating the cooking is poorly designed. It is why so many (including I) keep getting food poisoning. It's like added a pull bar to a push door. It is not the fault of the user for pulling the door, the design of the signal is wrong. Usually, left clicking is the command click, and right click is a secondary function, but now I have to stop and think. I very much doubt your intent is to make eating raw meat the default command. 

As others said, it also feels like weight and fire temperature should affect cooking time. In the previous version, weight did seem to factor, but I don't think temp ever did. In either case, I'd rather see the old way of cooking returned. Or at least reuse some of your old code and allow this interaction to also take place in the menu when you click on the cooking instrument. You can still have the fire/food/water tabs, and that will allow you to interact with the cooking as well (some players may find that interface easier to use, I think I would)

FYI, if you place meat on the grill, then left click to place it else where, like on the ground, then right click to confirm placing it on the ground, you actually pick it up.

Lastly, please take a page from Factorio. For the past 247 consecutive Fridays, without fail, the developers kept the community in the loop. The community gave tons of feedback, even before implementation. Their ideas guided the game in regards to what the community found fun, so they didn't have to waste a bunch of time coding, just to find out something that the users would not like. And also like Factorio,I think allowing mods would let you see what kinds of changes people would make to craft the game into the experience they want to have.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, LonelyWolf said:

Yep. Samething happend to me. 1h 14mins for 91 cal rabbit meat.....

Here is an example i want to share with u guys ( yea its the german version ).

0.12 Kgr.( rabbit meat)/ 56cal/ 1 hour...... thats so frustrating....okt.thumb.png.d1b7570bd2af687fee518051354d5ed5.png

Cooking is an excellent concept but needs some tweaks. Any frying pans out there to help meat cooking time at least? I like the concept so far. I also love the new music.

However, arrows are disappearing if they bounce off of wildlife that get hit. Ive lost 4 so far to it... That really isn't acceptable that a glitch that critical made it in.

Edit: Apparently it isn't just successful hits, any arrow shot other than a one shot kill has a chance to vanish. Cant even make it to river valley now, I have to turn around and head back to base

4 hours ago, Honor said:

Cooking is an excellent concept but needs some tweaks. Any frying pans out there to help meat cooking time at least? I like the concept so far. I also love the new music.

However, arrows are disappearing if they bounce off of wildlife that get hit. Ive lost 4 so far to it... That really isn't acceptable that a glitch that critical made it in  

Disappointed that frying pans didn’t make it in- although to be fair, it wouldn’t be different than cooking in a pot. 

The Long Dark has always had a problem with arrows. I wonder why?

I have been away and haven't played since last summer.  Jumped in and streamed the new update and... HOLY CRAP!!!  You guys did what we have been asking for !!  Now that I started playing I didn't want to stop.  Every time I cooked something, along with making water at the same time, I got excited every single time !  I was able to cook food, make water and collect wood... all at the same time !!  Congrats to the devs on this wonderful feat and THANK YOU !!

Bah, a deer fell over onto my arrows and I lost them...I was then attacked by a wolf while harvesting said deer. Everything else about this update I really like other than the arrow glitch and the wildlife now moving in real time thing. Also, it seems our ears do not hear wolves or bears approach while we harvest things. I would like some kind of warning before getting mauled by something I can't even see...

Also I love the new music, got several goosebumps from those more epic moments!

I haven't tried it yet, but the cooking time might be dependent on the temp of the campfire. Has anyone tried increasing the temp?

BTW, when cooking meat, maybe add a steak-like level like rare, medium, well-done? I like mine medium-rare hahahaha

6 hours ago, Budji said:

I haven't tried it yet, but the cooking time might be dependent on the temp of the campfire. Has anyone tried increasing the temp?

BTW, when cooking meat, maybe add a steak-like level like rare, medium, well-done? I like mine medium-rare hahahaha

It doesn't effect it, I've tried adding coal with no change. And having meat any other way than well-done in a survival situation is risky, I think.

I think it's amazing that we now have about a dozen regions and each of them is unlike the others, each has unique character. I've only explored a fraction of the Hushed River Valley but I can already tell it's another masterpiece. Thanks and please keep the Great Bear growing this way. Quality over quantity.

The cooking mechanic is another great addition that increases the range of options the player has to do with his/her time. I imagine a huge amount of work went into making it work at all, so perhaps we're in for some tweaks later. A change of this nature has inevitably altered the balance of the game. I suspect the long cooking times were in part chosen to allow the player do some meaningful work while cooking as many tasks take in the order of one hour to complete. However, the knock-on effects it has on things like time management, fuel needs and cabin fever (if you do your cooking indoors) are substantial. Personally, I am happy for changes that make the survival harder, but I've already seen a few good suggestions how to counteract the effects of long cooking times. Let's see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

I suspect the long cooking times were in part chosen to allow the player do some meaningful work while cooking as many tasks take in the order of one hour to complete. However, the knock-on effects it has on things like time management, fuel needs and cabin fever (if you do your cooking indoors) are substantial.

Or to balance the fact that you gain time against the old system when you use multiple cooking. And to avoid cabin fever, start cooking, then go do something outside for 1 hour. Keep a clock with you to know when to get back to your cooking.

8 hours ago, JaySovereign said:

It doesn't effect it, I've tried adding coal with no change. And having meat any other way than well-done in a survival situation is risky, I think.

I see, thanks for testing that one out. Regarding the meat cooking, yeah I figured as much.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:27 AM, Bladebss said:

Also the cooking time is not linked to waight. I just spent 1h14mins cooking 0.06kg of rabbit for 61 cal.

That must be a bug?

cooking weight seems to have always been a problem from day dot. ie anything under 0.10 discard dont bother cooking use it as wolf bait. or just throw it away somewhere.

10 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I suspect the long cooking times were in part chosen to allow the player do some meaningful work while cooking as many tasks take in the order of one hour to complete. However, the knock-on effects it has on things like time management, fuel needs and cabin fever (if you do your cooking indoors) are substantial. 

It feels like a case where typists type too fast, so instead of fixing the typewriter to operate better, scramble it to slow them down. To give more freedom, we also have to be hamstrung. It seems this is only beneficial at locations with 6 burners. Then you can cook 6 things for 90 min, which makes it about 15 min per meat, which I think is about back to par? I'm not sure where all these 6 burner cooktops are, but my new way of selecting my "homes" will be heavily guided by that. 

Also, what I had thought would be great, when hearing that things next to fires can cook, would be that if I start a fire, I could just put a bunch of cans down, and at least be producing 8 or so cans of water. But no, you can't put snow in these cans, they have to be on the stove. and a pot of water on a stove takes 2 hours, but I believe meat next to something hot cooks, right? So the game is guiding me to use cook tops for water, and take the meat off the burner, which is opposite to what I'd think you'd actually want to do. 

Again, all this stuff is just getting in the way of the game. Does anyone know how to roll back to wintermute update (or mod the game)? At this point, I'm willing to give up the new content if I can get the old cooking back. At least until the devs balance this out. Until then, I guess I'll play something else.

I'm loving the challenge of adapting my play to the new system. I was herding a deer ahead of me and a wolf got to it just outside the barn in Pleasant Valley. Nice, might as well take advantage of that, I thought. But with only 2 cooking spots on the barrel fire, I was there for over a day just to cook everything! I was wishing I was back at the farmstead on that 6 slot stove, for sure! 

That said, one thing I was disappointed with was that the time to cook didn't shift at all based on the amount you were cooking. 900 calories of deer? 1 hour, 20 minutes. 230 calories of deer? 1 hour, 20 minutes. I was really hoping this would change during this overhaul - is there any reason it has been ignored? I just seems so out of kilter considering the amount of snow/water you process affects the time. Heck, even the amount of raw/cooked food affects smell by weight/amount, not by number of items. It just seems like one very incongruous element. 

I also echo other people's experiences regarding difficulty with item placement. Getting stuff placed correctly on hot plates sometimes feels harder than it should, and arranging items on shelves suddenly made me wish for the ability to rotate items in mid air to assist in placement. 

Game feels much harder now, but I'm sure we'll adapt and uncover strategies for smart time-management. Feels like a fresh challenge. Good update!

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature so that's why I'm posting it here:

When I smash cans I don't receive recycled can. Also the one can I had in the beginning disappeared, on the other hand I got into a wolf fight barehanded so I might have dropped it  trying to save my skin. Has anyone tried smashing cans without tools to see if they return recycled can or not.  If this thing turns up to be a bug  I'm in Hibernia Processing on the second floor, and I have no way of making water :(  I'll die of thirst because there is a blizzard outside, and I can't make water. Please someone tell me if this is a bug or not.

3 hours ago, vancopower said:

Has anyone tried smashing cans without tools to see if they return recycled can or not.

Yes I tried, you will not get a recycled can when you smash it open. I did not lose the old one though. Be careful, it's easy to forget the can at a campfire when you leave.

5 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Yes I tried, you will not get a recycled can when you smash it open. I did not lose the old one though. Be careful, it's easy to forget the can at a campfire when you leave.

Well I guess the game got me good. This is what I love about this game I thought I knew everything there is to know and then this happens small update but very efficient.  My only wish is that these updates come out much sooner, I think that hinterland should receive extra funds from the government for being such a creative team. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Yes, we're currently working on a fix for the vanishing arrows issue. Thanks for your patience.:fire:

Thank you for the feedback. Glad to see you're reading this thread. Any updates or thoughts on the feedback about cooking? It's ok to remove things. Factorio got rid of alien artifacts. Subnautica got rid of terrain gun. I very much hope you don't take the "you'll get used to it" approach. 

Archived