The Long Dark updated to v1.33 [37608] — VIGILANT FLAME

Admin

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

It's a Wonderful update, but cooking time is a little too long. 25minutes for a coffee ? I'd prefer Something like 15min.

Agreed.  I've got a little camping coffee pot and it only needs to brew for about 2 or 3 minutes after the water comes to a boil.  So if the in-game water needs about 12 minutes to boil, an extra 2 to 3 minutes should do just fine.  But, maybe our characters want it "slap-yo-momma" strong.:D

Also, I've seen plenty of coffee kettles out there, but aren't available for use in the update.  I'd think they'd be perfectly suitable for use as well.

41 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

It's a Wonderful update, but cooking time is a little too long. 25minutes for a coffee ? I'd prefer Something like 15min.

yep the whole cooking times seem way to long, maybe it justified for in game time not sure but hour half to cook a deer steak and 3hours to melt snow and boil it? hrm somethings not quite right.

Other than cooking times the whole new cooking mechanic seems awesome - well done Hinterland.

Yes, placing things has been borked. Can't place sticks in transition caves (I use them as pointers). I mean, come on! Placing things on the floor in the cave, what da...?

Arrows do disappear, yes.

Cooking times are .. ludicrous! This is FAR from realistic, even halving these times would still be "a bit" unrealistic..

So:
+ Reduce cooking times
+ Add one more cooking slot to all cooking surfaces apart from the oven.
+ Reduce the weight of the pot (0.75 kg)
+ Fix water ready estimate from "fully melted" to "portable" as currently it's misleading

I have to say, that I'm more as disappointed about this new cooking system. Not about the whole cooking mechanic per se, but about this long cooking times... thats

kinda insane and not fun to play. I mean 3 hours für melting/boiling 2L water? C'mon thats for from reality....

It's snow! since when needs snow so much time to melt and boil over a fire!? and not just the water, like everything takes way to long for cooking.

Right now i need like 4-5 hours ( ingame ) to cook, sry but no. I used to loved this game but thats insane. 

I dont wanna play a unrealistic cooking simulator. I want the "real"survival simulator back... But till then im out.

i forgot something... Why in the name of god does the cooking Pot have a condition??? Thats not realistic at all! I‘m using the same cooking pots since 7 years! I just dont know what to say anymore.

23 hours ago, admin said:

VIGILANT FLAME is now Live for Xbox One. Thank you to our Xbox players for your patience during the delay. And keep in mind it can take several hours for the update to reach you, depending on your region of the world.

Wow that was a lot faster than I expected. Great work folks. Keep up the hard work.

Thought I might also revive an old question of mine, so now that we have used cans as an actual in game item, any chance in future we could make makeshift arrow heads with the old cans?

I've always thought this would be a cool idea as a early game way of making some basic/makeshift arrow heads. 

Of course they should only allow a few shots before they are ruined and also inflict way less damage than a normal arrow head.

Before the new update I always seen this as too much to change for one game mechanic. My original idea was to use empty soda cans, But you've done step 1 already (making empty/old cans remain in game and be interactable).

21 minutes ago, LonelyWolf said:

I have to say, that I'm more as disappointed about this new cooking system. Not about the whole cooking mechanic per se, but about this long cooking times... thats

kinda insane and not fun to play. I mean 3 hours für melting/boiling 2L water? C'mon thats for from reality....

It's snow! since when needs snow so much time to melt and boil over a fire!? and not just the water, like everything takes way to long for cooking.

Right now i need like 4-5 hours ( ingame ) to cook, sry but no. I used to loved this game but thats insane. 

I dont wanna play a unrealistic cooking simulator. I want the "real"survival simulator back... But till then im out.

i forgot something... Why in the name of god does the cooking Pot have a condition??? Thats not realistic at all! I‘m using the same cooking pots since 7 years! I just dont know what to say anymore.

someones upset.  but yes don't fret to much, I'm sure they Hinterland will tweak things based on user feedback.

I noticed the cooking change right away, and it is a hassle.

I can understand needing an empty can to cook water, but only ".50" at a time?  No more being able to cook 4 or 5 big units at a time seems like unneeded "busy work", even though it might be considered more realistic in the real world.  I have not tried cooking water in a pot, so perhaps the amount you can cook is higher when using one of those (I'll have to check that out).  Also, why can't I cook meat on a grill on a 55 gallon drum where there is already a grill on it?  That seems like a mistake.

I DO want to thank the developers for bringing back the little white dot when doing archery.  I did get a lot better shooting arrows without it, but  this does make it easier to be successful when shooting at game.

Edit 9:31 AM:  Well, after checking out the 55 gallon drum again, I finally figured out how to cook meat there, so I guess it pays to learn something a bit better before making a complaint (lol).

15 minutes ago, Ultimateauthority said:

I can understand needing an empty can to cook water, but only ".50" at a time?  No more being able to cook 4 or 5 big units at a time seems like unneeded "busy work"

I feel like I'm adapting to that.  I had two cans of ruined dog food on my "trash pile" at Hibernia.  I retrieved them and took the risk of eating from them.  Thankfully no food poisoning and I now have a total of three cans to cook with.  When melting and boiling water, I use both spaces on my campfire in the Rikken's wheelhouse.  Now I'm getting a full liter of drinkable water in the time it takes to make 0.5 liters.

But I still feel that it would be good to make those coffee pots usable for liquids.

16 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

I was going to try some places other than the Rikken, but my 2 month old daughter woke up and needed attention.   I can drop the water bottles, but I can't place them on in the Rikken, including placing on the floor.

UPDATE:  So far it looks like it's just the Rikken.  I've had success on the ice, Hibernia, and the trailers.  Maybe it has to do with the way the Rikken isn't sitting level.

Please go ahead and submit a bug for this placement issue in the Riken, and also mention if you happen to have seen it anywhere else. The Jira database is here: https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues

Thank you!

Cooking times are longer - but the difference now is that you don't have to sit there waiting for something to cook. You can do other stuff while you wait. Go collect more firewood, do some basic clothing repairs, prepare some natural meds. Or, just rock back and take stock of your surroundings and situation. I quite like having the opportunity to just take a breath and sit by the fire.

However, I would like to see book-learning adjusted so that you could gain research points in, say, 10 minute increments instead of the one hour minimum we have now. That way, you could do a spot of reading while you wait, without burning your steak.

Is anyone else getting food poisoning daily at the moment? The number of times I accidentally click "use" instead of "place" for raw meat is rare, but it only has to happen once a day to make my game experience ridiculously unenjoyable. I wouldn't mind an "are you sure you want to eat raw meat?" dialogue.

7 hours ago, fallenfox said:

Is anyone else getting food poisoning daily at the moment? The number of times I accidentally click "use" instead of "place" for raw meat is rare, but it only has to happen once a day to make my game experience ridiculously unenjoyable. I wouldn't mind an "are you sure you want to eat raw meat?" dialogue.

Well I guess you just gotta get used to the controls. Happened to me too, now it became better. It´s just a little confusing from time to time.

Oh and it would be great if could still click on a fire and select there what i want to cook!

I'm loving the update in general.

Sound design: I can't list everything I've noticed that's changed, but it seems like quite a bit. Footsteps, ambient forest sounds (?) are what seem different, but maybe I'm listening too hard.

The lighting is very nice. Much more subtle in many areas and very nuanced. Again, I'm quite sure this has changed, but can't be certain. Some texture work as well; the stones and rock faces have some more varying shades of brown/rust and the cave textures look a bit different as well.

The new region is inspired! Very interesting terrain with many potential places - nooks and crannies - to take shelter, despite the lack of structures. The climbs are not really fun - my old weight restriction complaints re-surface here - but I love the idea of a stepped landscape. The rivers and falls are great for navigation and the ice caves! Amazing. Magical. I took a walk of faith and darn near got frostbite, but went through some falls and was rewarded. Thrilling indeed.

My thoughts on the cooking system have been stated elsewhere; maybe I just have to get used to it.

Great work HL! Thank you for this. I start my summer vacation in a week...I think I know what I'll be doing for a couple of days. :)

The cooking times are WAY too long for some things!

20mins to melt a can of snow on a fire!

Warming up a cup of tea takes 50 mins next to a fire! Try 20, and 5 on the fire

Now cooking a kilo of venison probably would take about an hour.. so walst this is ALOT longer than it used to be it would be nice as in that time we are burning more wood and more cal, we could have proper calorie value for eating a kilo of venison. (1500cal)  rabbit too, a kilo of rabbit gives 1200cal! If im waiting all that realistic time for it to cook i want the realistic calories to go with it!

If im in a pinch and i need to make a fire to warm up, i would normaly make some mushroom tea or some hot drink to help keep me warm. I could do this with a few sticks as it took about 10mins to heat up the tea, now i need twice the sticks and i need to sit there and wait for my tea to heat up for twice as long some times longer!  Totaly removing any benefit from doing it in the first place die to the amount of time thats passed, not to mention im now having to lug a load of cans around and god forbid a cooking pot! At 1.7kg! I thought the 0.3kg for 2 cans was an inconvenience! 

When you got to go climb a rope things like that make a huge difference, not that i ever climb ropes as its far too costly any way and far too restrictive and if i need to leave mountain town i would rather risk braking my legs/death, rock hopping. Climbing rope is just decoration to me, im quite often below the wight reqired but im not becomeing exhausted just to get some where i know i cant bring anything back from as it will waigh too much.

Can we get some aluminium cooking pots at least?

Also.. the fire interactions now feels realy restricted, why cant i just slap the meat i want to cook on the nearest available spot when i select it in my bag rather than having to add it to the radial menue then close my bag go into the radial menue and then place it on the fire! Gaaaa so frustrating!

I have had alot of food poisoning from accidently eating raw meat when i wanted to cook it.

So in short im not happy and wont be playong on any of my sand boxes untill some thing is done to address some of the problems now introduced from this, especially the cooking times! I loved this game and now i just cant stand to play it!

I get where this was supposed to be going and it seemed like a cool idea at first but the frustrating interactions and heavy drawbacks from cooking times and extra equipment ruined it.

17 minutes ago, Bladebss said:

The cooking times are WAY too long for some things!

20mins to melt a can of snow on a fire!

Warming up a cup of tea takes 50 mins next to a fire! Try 20, and 5 on the fire

Now cooking a kilo of venison probably would take about an hour.. so walst this is ALOT longer than it used to be it would be nice as in that time we are burning more wood and more cal, we could have proper calorie value for eating a kilo of venison. (1500cal)  rabbit too, a kilo of rabbit gives 1200cal! If im waiting all that realistic time for it to cook i want the realistic calories to go with it!

If im in a pinch and i need to make a fire to warm up, i would normaly make some mushroom tea or some hot drink to help keep me warm. I could do this with a few sticks as it took about 10mins to heat up the tea, now i need twice the sticks and i need to sit there and wait for my tea to heat up for twice as long some times longer!  Totaly removing any benefit from doing it in the first place die to the amount of time thats passed, not to mention im now having to lug a load of cans around and god forbid a cooking pot! At 1.7kg! I thought the 0.3kg for 2 cans was an inconvenience! 

When you got to go climb a rope things like that make a huge difference, not that i ever climb ropes as its far too costly any way and far too restrictive and if i need to leave mountain town i would rather risk braking my legs/death, rock hopping. Climbing rope is just decoration to me, im quite often below the wight reqired but im not becomeing exhausted just to get some where i know i cant bring anything back from as it will waigh too much.

Can we get some aluminium cooking pots at least?

Also.. the fire interactions now feels realy restricted, why cant i just slap the meat i want to cook on the nearest available spot when i select it in my bag rather than having to add it to the radial menue then close my bag go into the radial menue and then place it on the fire! Gaaaa so frustrating!

I have had alot of food poisoning from accidently eating raw meat when i wanted to cook it.

So in short im not happy and wont be playong on any of my sand boxes untill some thing is done to address some of the problems now introduced from this, especially the cooking times! I loved this game and now i just cant stand to play it!

I get where this was supposed to be going and it seemed like a cool idea at first but the frustrating interactions and heavy drawbacks from cooking times and extra equipment ruined it.

Totally agreed. For me it feels like nearly half of ingame day time is about cooking or finding wood so u can make a fire for cooking.. I cant enjoy the full amount of game experience i got used to. and that makes me sad. 

I just want to list my issues with this new Update ( no flame, just my opinion ) :

-cooking time to long, and need also more wood to keep the fire burning
- cooking pot should be unbreakble ( thats realistic )
-the amount of cal u get from cooked food are in relation to the cooking time way to low.

I know that balancing a game is not ez. But pls Dev's just think again about this points. Its not like i'm a "Hater" who want to get on your nerves, I'm saying all this because i loved this game and seeing it in this condition makes me really sad. I played it everynight while i listend to my Harry Potter audiobook collection and it was awesome.

Archived